There are (and always have been) drummers that can keep time. The benefits the click offers are now functional.

By that I mean, now it's possible to have a drummer (or a machine) do the rythm section while getting tracks down, and then go back and re-do the drums with a different drummer, whatever. Track limitations in the tape days didn't really support this feature. The click is there as a marker. Both for the performer and for the engineers.
The trick these days is finding a drummer who can hear a click and play behind when needed and push it when it's called for. This is the new drummer. They have to know their licks, but also know their technique to make it all work.

Sure there are drummers (and bands) that record without one. If you have access to such a drummer take advantage of it (but use a click anyway for the other tracking and editing advantages). The click doesn't "have" to be a steady metronome; you can adjust it as needed thoughout a song. There is often a jump there when people say a metronome is a click track. It CAN be, but often is not.

I'll tell you that while BiaB is not perfect, you *could* adjust the click track throughout the song to match the feel. You can even record it with the human only feel, and then use the tempo map generated by the program to sync a click for a drummer, etc. (instance count in!) It doesn't have to be a perfect metronome to be useful.

I think you are putting blame on a click, when it lies elsewhere, more in the 'one man does the whole show' area. Nobody is great at everything.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome