Originally Posted by Guitarhacker
First off, the copyright form allows for multiple writers on a song/composition. So no, it's not necessary for each to file a copyright individually/separately.

This is not my situation. I have multiple songs, each with a single individual writer. The copyright office clearly describes my situation,
By contrast, if the copyright owner of the album does not own the copyright in the musical compositions (or vice versa), or if the compositions have been previously published, then each composition must be registered separately as an individual contribution to the collective work.

I don't see a way to register multiple songs with different composers as a single work.

I started reaching out to the songwriters. I don't want to negotiate a contract deal with the writers and then be in a position where I have to manage their royalties. I really wish they would get off their rears and register their works. Songtrust makes it very simple with a $100 fee per artist. Then add The Mechanical Licensing Collective to manage mechanical royalties at no cost, and a DSP for performance royalties, and the creator has all their bases covered. Seems easy enough, and I would do it if I had creator's rights.

But what if they don't? I guess I can release my recordings and be forced to take them down when and if they show proof of registration. There's a slim chance of that.

Sending a private link works for just a handful of people. The easier way to get a wider listen is to post a soundcloud link on facebook or such. Maybe routenote might accept them, but how will they find the composer if the work is unregistered?

This might be undoable.