My point was that if a guitar or keyboard limits you to certain notes you will never go beyond those notes.

If an instrument only allowed the C major scale over a C major chord the minor third would be unavailable.. as would a lot of other notes that could make a difference. Therefore the user would never learn what those notes do.
Little grace notes would be unavailable (at least some of the half step ones) etc.
I could see that getting drab pretty fast.

It would indeed limit the user as much as help.
Some learning is caused by necessity. Scales are one of those things. Learning scales the correct way allows a musician to use those scales in any key, and experiment for inventive ways to play them.

Also, comparing BiaB to this isn't right. BiaB in skilled hands can do a LOT, because of the musical knowledge of the user. An instrument that only allows certain notes will limit that same user.

I'm not saying an instrument that shows where the notes are is bad, just that limiting yourself to only certain notes would stunt the learning. How many great players play by ear, having never been told certain notes were wrong..

Last edited by rharv; 11/13/10 07:50 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome