The way I see this thing is that it's tablature ON the guitar rather than on paper. Plain and simple. This won't be the thing to self-instruct on the guitar from the start; but I certainly see the potential aid in use of such a thing. It's a crutch only if used as a crutch and that is far as it goes. Could be a great way to learn scales, box patterns, licks, etc - just as notation and tablature have done over the years.

For some that may learn differently than others, it's a completely valid teaching and learning tool. It isn't an end-all solution

There are visual learners, audible learners and other types. Don't discredit a technology because it doesn't meet your own preferred method.

Different example:

My kids have learned 'the lattice method' of multiplication recently in school. Turns out, it's an ancient way of multiplying large numbers that can be done quite efficiently. Those of us participating in this forum probably learned the German mathematician school of writing out large numbers.

The lattice method can be done very quickly, and for those that have difficulty keeping the columns of numbers to add nicely lined up, this method could be your savior.

End result is the same.

Some of the great blues guitar players that have bless our world with their craft never learned their fretboard note for note. Yet we still stand on their shoulders.

-Scott