Spent the past week really researching this topic. Looking for new external HD and the big 1 - 2 -3 TB drives are on Sale ($99, $149, $199) with the new USB 3.0.

OK, I quickly discover that you need to add a PCIe 1x adapter for the USB 3 ports to my desktop. Got lots of PCI slots (1x and 4x) in my Dell, so No problem, I can pick up one of these for ~$30.

Then I get home open the case go to insert the new PCI card and, "Hold on!, What this??" ...this card needs to be powered separately from the slot. There is a connector to plug in a power cable to the card, similar to those cables used for the hard drives But, my internal hard drive power cables are all the slim line SATA design and this thing needs one of those old big 6 pin square plugs I used to have with my old IDE hard drives in my last computer.

So looks like I need a power adaptor cable, has to go from my SATA power to the old 6 pin connector type. Has to be at least 10 inches long to reach from one side of the computer innards to the other. A trip to CDA - no such beast available.

Ain't technology fun!

So what does this have to do with music?? I took my favorite Guitar in to have the pickups replaced..... but that is another story.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper