My songwriting process starts with a set of lyrics to which I put a melody. I then put chords to the melody using my guitar or keyboard.

The chords and melody fight for some time until something pleasing arises. Sometimes the chord choice changes the melody pretty drastically. In the case of The Wren, I liked the melody so much that I forced chords to fit. That is why the chorus contains a C#m7b5.

After the dust has settled from the chordal/melodic skirmish, I work on the arrangement. This often involves BIAB. This arrangement started as the "Lotus 3/4" MIDI style.

When working in BIAB I generate a bunch of tracks I think might fit then I pull the whole thing into Sonar and start editing and chopping.

The Djembe was recorded directly into Sonar. I looped the phrases. The BIAB triangle was replaced and looped.

The vocal, as you hear it, is a first take to see how everything sits together. Although beautifully sung by my loving wife, it's a pretty noisey recording (if you listen carefully you can hear background talking). It will be replaced with a quieter take. I also plan on replacing the MIDI guitar and mandolin with live tracks.

There are no RealTracks in this mix.

There are two mp3 files. The first as recorded:

The Wren

The second my lame attempt at EQ and mastering:

The Wren (mastered)

The lyrics are below. Any suggestions and comments welcome.

Lyrics:

the wren pulled from her visionless flight
a song to profess the profane
she beat one wing at the edge of the night
yet none hear her solemn refrain

Chorus
she lifted her wings as high as the night
and burnished the darkened sky
as nightbird her cry set rise to the star
sang, “Bestow birth to light have I”

lost shadow laments and beckons the dark
while eventide kindles divine