Quote:

Dan & Marc,

Thanks guys for your input, and all the kind words!

I thought about building the song more with chorus/bridge, etc. But in the end decided against it so as not to lose the focus of the song. Also, I kind of would rather have you asking for a little bit more, than have you wishing it had less.

That's ok too Steve. If this is the way you want the song to be, then that's the way it will be and it's a nice tune regardless. It's a good sounding track with a better than average vocal- much better. Put it this way; in cold hard terms of scouting, I'd say the song- forget it. The singer- GET HIM. That's the kind of vocal you have there Steve. Just know that is your strength at the moment and it's a big one. In case you didn't know or didn't fully appreciate that fact, I'm here to tell you and I know what I'm talking about. The strength of your vocal alone can open up doors for you if you try. Match up your song writing ability to that vocal and it's just cream on the cake. No one says you must be a fantastic song writer. And I'll let you in on a secret- with that vocal you don't need to be. People who can't sing all too well or just don't have that certain something BETTER be a good song writer. People who have your vocal potential don't need to write anything. Just hand them good songs. That's what I'm getting at. My advice- persue recording work. You could be a demo singer in Nashville at least, and an artist at most. I kid you not.

Far as song writing, this particular song needs more writing to make it bloom. You can keep the focus of the song and have it branch out to chorus/bridge too. Doing so is strength in song writing. Not doing so is not realizing full potential of the song, and not helping your song writing potential. I've said many times to myself through the years- this song of mine is done, can't imagine anything more, the focus is solid, but with a wee little reservation of those feelings. Know what? Every time I was wrong. When I have even the slightest of question, I know that I truly realize something isn't quite right. When I finish a song and I have no more question about content and form, it's done and it's right. And that happens, oh, 50% of the time. That percentage grows though,like building muscles. It does so the more you write and the stronger you get at it. So call this one done. But next one, push yourself more. The listener and the powers that be don't want to be left wanting more from a song. They want to be completely fulfilled within that 3 to 4 minutes and then if they want more they can replay it. Not an easy task for any of us, but we keep on trying, right?!

I've gone against my descion to just say 'nice song' and that's it, with my post here. I generally get flammed for saying much more. But flames be damned- you deserve the attention. Ya got skills Steve. Looking forward to hearing much more from you!

Dan