Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
You may not have heard yet, but Robin Williams has upset Prime Minister Kevin Rudd by comments he made about Australia on the David Letterman show.
I want to get in first and say that Mr. Rudd is extremely thin skinned to be upset by what was said.
I thought that, as usual, Robin Williams was hilarious and I'm a true blue, red neck, Aussie son-of-a-son-of an Irishman.

tony
Lenovo lappie, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Ubuntu 12.04
Running BIAB under WINE
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
G'day Tony,
yeah, Rudd needs to get a reality check, I'm so tired of all his "Politically Correct" bull, though Williams did miss the mark a bit too. I mean calling us rednecks... We ain't that advanced

BTW, seems we share some heritage, my dad was Irish.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yeah.
Now let's see... I would pay good money to hear Robin Williams - I would pay even better money NOT to hear Kevin Rudd.

tony
Lenovo lappie, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
Ubuntu 12.04
Running BIAB under WINE
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In the USA rednecks can come from literally any ethnic heritage or geographical region. However the original appalachian hillbillies are predominately scotch and irish, or so it has been said.

James Chandler Jr
http://www.errnum.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

You may be a redneck if ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Quote:

In the USA rednecks can come from literally any ethnic heritage or geographical region. However the original appalachian hillbillies are predominately scotch and irish, or so it has been said.

I saw a documentary about the coal strikes in W. Virginia in the early 1900s. It said that the striking miners wore red bandanas around their neck for identification, hence the word "rednecks."

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

I saw a documentary about the coal strikes in W. Virginia in the early 1900s. It said that the striking miners wore red bandanas around their neck for identification, hence the word "rednecks."

Don S.

Thanks Don. Sounds quite plausible.

Having grown up mostly in the south, I always figured it had to do with light-skinned folk who work out in the sun for a living. Especially red-headed or freckled folk. It literally is a red neck, rather than brown tan. It is the kind of term that can either be used as an insult or sign of affection, depending on who says it, and in what context.

The Appalachian Scotch/Irish/English history is something I've been meaning to someday find time to study.

Musicologists went thru the Appalachians during the 1930's, and perhaps earlier, transcribing folk songs. First time I noticed it just in passing, from third- or fourth- removed sources. Back about 1970 got a Joan Baez album that was Appalachian folk songs. And happened on an album of modern renditions of English Elizabethan songs. Possibly Pentangle was the group. The dang songs were identical!

James Chandler Jr
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I read somewhere that many old Irish and Scottish tunes have been better preserved in Appalachia than in the old countries themselves. Maybe because of less, and somewhat later, mixing with other music.

99% of comedy depends on insulting SOMEBODY!

- Bud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi RB

The Appalachian folk were culturally/geographically relatively isolated for a long time after they moved into those mountains within a generation or two of leaving the Isles.

Folks didn't just move into the mountains and "stay there" for 300 years really. I think how it worked is that excess mountain population on each generation would keep moving west, so the folks who didn't keep moving west mostly did remain in place. After frontiers opened up past the Appalachians, there were easier ways to get there than straight thru forested mountains with minimal roads.

There is a beautiful place in TN, Cades Cove, that was settled real early, but within a couple of generations most of the folk had moved on, and when it was turned into a Park preserve, the population was mainly a few old farmers.

http://www.cadescove.net/auto_tour.html

One "probability zero" thing I've wondered about-- If the songs have been preserved so accurately, then what about the dialect?

Perhaps Shakespeare spoke like Jed Clampett and young Queen Elizabeth sounded like Elly Mae? <g>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beverly_Hillbillies

James Chandler Jr
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll try and find links to a CBC documentary. The Hudson's Bay company founded a post on the east side of the bay. They taught Cree Indians to play fiddle. The tunes were Scottish.
The Cree never mutated or changed the tunes. They were taken to Scotland and astounded the musicians with the original tunes from the late 1600's or early 1700's.

Too bad the Vikings that found the continet first and landed in Newfoundland and Labrador didn't leave us music. Of course they were followed by the Templars who only left curious marks, then by the others.

Many of the people in the mountains were hiding from the revolution. Others moved north in droves, including my g grandfather's neighbours. It's fun to visit the old farm we visited when I was a kid. All Amish people now, would look like my ancestors farming with the horses and on some roads they just plain took down the hydro poles for miles. Weird. Really bad land too, more rocks than dirt.

Every year the Shriners of eastern US and Canada go to Pikeville to drink shine and dress up as hillbilly clans. I didn't go that route, the initiation involves getting rubbed with limberger cheese....wow.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's the link about the Fiddler's, I was hoping it was free, but not unless you pay to get into the media places in Toronto or Montreal.

The DVD is $19 US.

The overview is interesting, I've seen the show on CBC Tv twice, it's well done. It's still, from a musicological perspective to visit this link:

http://www.onf-nfb.gc.ca/eng/collection/film/?id=12979

If you are there I think the Log Driver's Waltz is free, stick it in their search engine, it's sort of half french/english and some fun to watch...btw, my first job after I quit teaching was log driving...they have outlawed it now, claiming damage to rivers. Bull#.

Best fishing ever in those rivers and around the edges of the big booms on Superior or in the mill ponds. Caught a nice 10 foot sturgeon in the mill pond at Smooth Rock Falls in '74. Hung over the tail gate of my redneck canuck F100 eh?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy Ray Cirus did a documentary on the "Rednecks." It was very good, actually. Don S hit the nail on the head, it was the red bandana that started the nickname. I believe they were mostly of the Irish decent.

Mr Rudd let Robin Williams get under his skin?

Trax

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Difference between a violin and a fiddle -

A violin has four strings.

A fiddle has four strangs.

- Bud
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If Robin Williams offended our Australian friends, I am truly sorry. However, the way things have been happening here in the U.S., some of us consider that term complimentary. I was not aware of the red bandana history of the "word", but most of us around where I live consider ourselves at least part "redneck."

Lawrie, you are a funny guy.:)

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'll try and find links to a CBC documentary. The Hudson's Bay company founded a post on the east side of the bay. They taught Cree Indians to play fiddle. The tunes were Scottish.
The Cree never mutated or changed the tunes. They were taken to Scotland and astounded the musicians with the original tunes from the late 1600's or early 1700's.

Thanks John, that is interesting. Couldn't find the audio example you noted, but the still pics are engaging.

James Chandler Jr
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

One "probability zero" thing I've wondered about-- If the songs have been preserved so accurately, then what about the dialect?

Perhaps Shakespeare spoke like Jed Clampett and young Queen Elizabeth sounded like Elly Mae? <g>

According to the book "The Story of English," American English sounds sounds like antiquated English English to British ears.

A handful of 19th-century American expressions such as "California or Bust" (burst), "gal" (girl), and "the spittin' image" (the spirit and image) come to mind. Perhaps a Brit could clue us in on more.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Old English

Thee and thou, thine, etc.

I fail to see the comparison, but maybe a brit with a history background can jump in...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I wonder if it's really that easy. Look at England, lots of relatively small counties etc. all with their own dialects and accents.

It seems to me that there is more variety in pronunciation and word usage within the English language in the relatively small space England takes up than in all of the rest of the English speaking world combined. Go back in time and it would be even worse. This modern information/communications age is slowly but surely eliminating the variety.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I dig. You'd think language would have gotten more uniform after all this time. Maybe like you say the modern info age will even it out some day.

Some Americans get all uptight over a little Spanish here and there. Best I can tell though, it's English that's taking over the world.

I dig how Aussie's talk. It's like Brit's but more laid-back.

- Bud
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Musicologists went thru the Appalachians during the 1930's, and perhaps earlier, transcribing folk songs. First time I noticed it just in passing, from third- or fourth- removed sources. Back about 1970 got a Joan Baez album that was Appalachian folk songs. And happened on an album of modern renditions of English Elizabethan songs. Possibly Pentangle was the group. The dang songs were identical!

Could be Pentangle, they did a lot of traditional English ballad stuff ... The Trees They Do Grow High, Bruton Town, etc. but they had more of a jazz-influenced style. I wouldn't necessarily call it "modern."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentangle_(band)

Perhaps it was Steeleye Span?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeleye_Span

Both bands were amazingly great, by the way.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics81,991
Posts740,159
Members38,654
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
paraschiv25, Helm73, JohnRiversaa, DaveHornet, EnzoJames
38,654 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)