Quote:

Mac, thanks for checking in on this topic.

I use the SEARCH field on the bottom of the START menu and have become adequately proficient with it but my desktop screen is literally filed with frequently used icons. I hope to reduce that to about 10-12 folders which will contain my most-used apps. My mp3s are poorly organized and photos are scattered everywhere. I am not accustomed to such chaos. I love the LIBRARIES feature of Win 7, it saves a lot of search time.

I have DAW apps including BIAB, RealBand, Audacity, etc. in a folder named "DAW" but, other than that, it's pure, unadulterated chaos. I started into the project of grouping my programs this afternoon then quickly realized it's more than an afternoon's endeavor. I have nearly 50,000 OTR (old time radio) shows alone. I ran a duplicate file finder and discovered about 8,000 duplicates.

This could well turn into a lifetime project.

Ever notice the, "There are unused icons on your desktop" thingie?

In the Windows system, boot times will be slower when there is a lot of stuff on the desktop. I know that's true for XP but haven't really tried it out with Win7 as I keep that machine's desktop rather lean out of habit.

I suppose that placing the icons into folders on the desktop would be a bit faster and use less resources than having them ALL visible would, though.

--Mac