I use a laptop. Why? I don't do set lists, and going from song to song on a laptop is quick. While I'm playing a song, I can reach over and type a few letters on the laptop, and it's ready for the next song.

Why don't I do set lists? I'm not clairvoyant. I have no idea what will be best for them 10 minutes from now. While I'm playing a song, I'm observing the audience and using my experience to guess at what would be the best song to play next. If they are on the dance floor to a fast one, but their faces look like they are tired, another fast one won't do as I'll lose them. Conversely if they are full of energy a slow one wouldn't be appropriate next.

Music is a dialog between the musician and the audience, not a monologue. (side note - why aren't the endings of dialog and monologue spelled the same?) I can go instantly from song to song when needed, and I can change my mind during the last few moments of the song I'm currently playing and still get to the next song instantly.

When people come up and tell me, "Thanks for a wonderful evening" I know I paced the crowd well.

Of course, as always YMMV - there is more than one right way to do this.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks