In my opinion, using a laptop opens more possibilities than other systems that do nothing but play a track.

The Laptop lets you play from a sequencing program. Sequencing programs (Like Power Tracks, Real Band, Sonar etc) usually have the ability to work with both audio and midi, and also offer more routing possibilities. Routing options can let you do things like send the bass track to a bass amp, guitar track to a guitar amp etc

The MIDI can be used to control devices such as lights, volume, effects, patch changes etc all without having to stomp on pedals or distract you in any way.

Midi driven devices also include vocal processors, which can let one performer sound like many by providing harmonies in real-time.

A sequencer also lets you keep your songs divided into separate tracks... so if a friend wants to sit in for a few songs or the whole gig, you can must the instrument he plays. Or, if you use the tracks to flesh out the sound of a whole band, and the keyboard guy gets sick or quits before a gig, you can turn that track back on and never miss a beat.

And as Notes Norton said, it gives you enhanced ability to change songs on the fly

With a laptop You can play from chord charts and keep the lyrics on screen

and many sequencers include a "juke box" feature that lets you set up play lists, and then it plays the songs in order. There are also USB foot pedals available for not much money that let you control the flow of the songs hands-free

And these days laptops are often less expensive than "pads&pods"... its a case of supply and demand. Now is a very good time to buy a laptop... you can get a lot of functionality for not much money

Anyway, these are the reasons why I opt to use a laptop.

But, as stated earlier.. if I only wanted to play a backing track, I'd definitely use an MP3 player of some kind.