Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

In other words, “the only way you can play with me is to be able to pull this song off”. It wouldn’t have been phrased that way of course, but do you think that’s a factor?

Absolutely.

When I was a young man entering into the jazz performance arena, being able to *properly* play a Bebop tune was a difficult to master right of passage. If you didn't know The Bird, you couldn't get a gig.

And, with most of the older, more experienced players on the bandstands around the Pittsburgh area, it really was phrased that way, sometimes complete with expletives.

Some would see that as keeping people out.

Viewing it as to what it really is, though, a filtering system that guaranteed good results onstage, well there are others, like myself, who saw the situation as something in which we had to further immerse ourselves, practice, learn, do whatever it takes to reach our chosen goal.

And the truth of it is that you *can't* just sit in with an ensemble that is adept at playing Blues, Bebop, Modern Jazz and the Abstract Truth and fake it. You gotta KNOW. or it does not work.

I see the same things in any genre of music.

BobC, you know what its like if someone tries to sit in with a Bluegrass band and they have little to no knowledge of the genre, the standards, the methods, etc.

Can't happen.

--Mac

--Mac