*Always buy the fastest machine you can afford at the time. This is as much "future-proofing" as we can reasonably expect.

*I typically avoid package deals that already have a lot of RAM installed, as the price of one with less RAM and purchasing and snapping the extra RAM into it yourself is usually a cost savings to be considered. But not always. Right now, the economy is forcing lots of great deals, so do your homework on that front.

*If at all possible, I'd go for a machine that comes with XP installed and not Vista at the moment. Simply makes for an easier-to-use machine for music programs at this point in time. XP Home or Pro doesn't matter, either will do the music programs identically.

*The M-Audio Fast Track also includes MIDI connect on it if I'm not mistaken. A plus for when you do want to hook up something MIDI.

*Stay way from Dell brand name. Too many reported problems over time with music programs and aftermarket sound devices. IMO the same goes for Toshiba, although they have been getting better at it. A good deal on a newer Toshiba, I'd consider it now.

*HP, Acer, those are two brands that I've recommended to people I know and they are generally happy with pgmusic products and those brands. But there are other brands that are out there to consider as well, don't think these are the only two.

*The pgmusic USB hard drive with all programs on it and the ability to change from machine to machine with the same copy of the program and all songfiles of your own is priceless.

--Mac