Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Congrats and all the best to both of you, I am smiling because of the happiness vibe you implanted into this post!

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ryszard,

Man, you are some kinda tight-lipped dude! Never saying ANYTHING until the big announcement! You know, the wedding would have been the PERFECT opportunity to spin off into a forum get together! And just imagine all the wedding gifts you coulda had if we'd all been invited!

But, alls not lost yet. We'll meet your new wifey someday at the Atlanta forum get-together.

Until then, congratulations on your great news!

(What's her name?)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, he did mention it in his intriguing thread about What Walk-up Song Would You Pick. Not her name, though.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Well, he did mention it in his intriguing thread about What Walk-up Song Would You Pick. Not her name, though.

based on other threads, you may be thinking that I saw that and forgot already.

well...

Ok, go ahead and think that.

but, actually ...
Click to reveal..
...I missed that thread somehow, so I'm off the hook for all related memory lapses!

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow! Matt wins a big gold star. Sharp eyes, that one, and a great memory. BTW, I relayed the comment about the "big fat low A" and she just grinned. grin Her name is Trudy.

I couldn't bring myself to mention the event until it was about her. Any of y'all are welcome to come visit--as soon as we figure out where you can sit. Neither of us can believe how much absolute cr@p I brought into this little house. Working on it.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. It means the world to me. I hope to introduce her to this community soon as both a player and user.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

For those who missed that thread, it was about the music Trudy and I picked for the ceremony. First was Eric Clapton's "Running On Faith" to represent me before meeting her. For her entrance we agreed on "God Bless The Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts, which represented both of us. (This one had me in tears--look it up and see what I mean, especially if you've found someone after you both have been going through difficult times.) After the ceremony we played "Handle With Care" by the Traveling Wilburys. Great piece for an older couple getting hitched. Nobody got them collectively but Trudy and I and my best man, a sixty-something like me, but they were extremely meaningful to us.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Richard.

I'm really pleased for both of you. Many congratulations.

Looking forward to hearing all the music which is going to result from this happy union.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,

the fact that she's a musician makes it all the more important to make this marriage work. After all, if you ever split up...

Click to reveal..
SHE GETS HALF YOUR GEAR!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Bob, I thought you'd like the sax thing. Thanks for the advice on the electronic dealie. I had thought of it too, but didn't know which one to go for. I can't wait to hear her play and find out what we can do together!

The WX5 is more sax like than the EWI is. It has keys instead of touch pads, and here is the big one for me:

The EWI has a bite sensor, but the vibrato speed is not controlled by the lip. The speed is regulated by a capacitor discharge. It does have pitch bend plates, so you can vibrato with a finger, but I think it's more natural with the lip.

The WX has a plastic reed with a lever under it. Vibrato is controlled with the lip just like a sax.

I have a setup guide on my web site. It is the result of trying many different ways to adjust the lip and wind response. http://www.nortonmusic.com/wx5.html

I've played the WX with about a half dozen different sound modules, FM, LA, PCM, Wavetable and the Physical Modeling of the Yamaha VL70m made the difference between playing a controller and playing a musical instrument. The difference is like night and day.

Unfortunately after a 15 year run, Yamaha discontinued the VL70m. But they pop up on eBay and other sources from time to time. Another friend of mine just picked up a WX5/VL70m combination for $700.

Here are a couple of low-rez mp3 clips of me playing the WX/VL:
Synth Tenor Sax Clip 1

Synth Tenor Sax Clip 2

Synth Guitar Clip 1

The above clips were recorded on the gig using a pre-iPod Archos Jukebox so the fidelity isn't pristine. The next one was recorded on a friend's CD. He plays guitar much better than I do, but wanted synth guitar on this cut.

Synth Guitar Clip 2

If you go the WX route, feel free to e-mail me or have your bride e-mail me with any questions. I'll be happy to help.

And you can tell a lot about a person's musical brain by what they listen to and how they analyze it.

I have found the most important thing in a mate is to be best friends. You can have sex with anyone, you can play music with any other musician, but for your life partner, you have to be best friends.

Explore the things you like to do together, and grow with those. Introduce each other with what you don't share and accept what the other is sharing with you.

It's probably advice you already know, but it's worth repeating.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob,

You have persuaded me that the WX5/VL70-M combo is the way to go. I have questioned Trudy closely and determined that she is willing to essentially learn a new instrument that is similar to one she used to play, with the understanding that she will almost be learning to walk again. It has been since high school when she played. I understand she was pretty good, though.

Looking on ebay there is a rough-looking VL70 by itself with no software or documentation and a Buy It Now price of $700. Getting this with a new WX5 would bring me in at close to $1300, but I'm leery of this item, although I've looked and seen that manuals and editors are available from the Yamaha site.

There is also a WX5/VL70 combo plus a little Peavey amp, with docs and software, with a starting bid of $800. I've done business on ebay, but never at auction. It doesn't look like I'll be able to to score the deal your friend got. I've just started looking, though.

Thank you for your kind and generous offer of help with this project. One or the other of us will almost certainly be in touch with you as we proceed. I can't really afford it, but on the other hand, what is a dream worth? I have made it my mission to promote this woman's happiness. Getting something back in the bargain (like a partner in crime, LOL) would be an incredible serendipity.

Richard

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
To all who have contributed to this thread and to whom I have not responded directly: I am whelmed by the outpouring of blessings, good wishes, prayers, and advice. It is typical of this great community, but still somewhat unexpected, especially from those with whom I have never interacted personally. I can't thank you enough.

Please understand that on Friday I moved house after working until 3 in the morning; on Saturday I got married and took my new bride to dinner; on Sunday I finished up some details of the move, got 4 hours of sleep, and went back to work at 11 p.m. Neither of us has the time or resources for a honeymoon right now. Besides, we've got to dig through all the junk I brought into our new home and create some order. All just by way of saying we have been, and will continue to be, rather busy.

Oh, yeah, and I'm going to bring her back on board as a musician and discover another wonderful facet of this relationship. What a great thing to look forward to.

Thanks again,

Richard

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
My advice is to take your time and shop carefully, old buddy.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, the WX/VL doesn't have to happen overnight.

You might also check with Matt at patchmanmusic.com - he's a wind synth player, and a Yamaha dealer. He most likely could provide a brand new WX (although companies like wwbw.com might give you a better price) and he often has used VL70m's in stock.

Have a happy honeymoon and I hope you are beginning a great adventure.

Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob, Mac, and all interested parties,

I talked to Matt at Patchman Music and pulled the trigger on a used WX5 with hardshell case and a VL70-m with the Turbo VL upgrade chip. He threw in the cable that goes between the WX and the synth. As musical as Bob says the module makes the instrument, apparently the chip takes it to another level.

I just told Trudy about it during our lunchtime phone call. As pleased as she is about being newly married, this took her happiness to a whole 'nother level. It will give us a way to connect in our relationship that I have never experienced before. We are both tremendously excited about it. It should be here Thursday.

Did I move fast? Maybe. I think the information I got here constitutes due diligence. I don't think I could have gotten better advice, or a better deal from a better source, for that matter, so I'm comfortable on that account.

We will keep you posted, and will definitely take up Bob on his offer to help us get going. I can help Trudy with the electronics and the computer side of things, but I know nothing about the instrument itself. It also just occurred to me that this will turn her into a BIAB user so that she can create her own arrangements. Huzzah!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard, FYI, I have the WX5, the Yamaha VL70-m, and the Patchman Turbo chip.

I used Bob's website to adjust it. I highly recommend following Bob's advice precisely. This is a unit with plenty of chances of messing the settings up if you just start fooling around with the knobs. The sensitivity is crucial, so it responds to breath but doesn't sound the note continuously.

The WX5 is tremendously versatile. I have used it frequently to play acoustic bass. On one gig, accompanying my wife (!) who plays guitar and sings, I played bass and then took a piccolo solo using a preset, then back to bass, all with the WX5.

In another show, one of my family had a lead role. My rule is, if someone in my family is cast, I offer my services as lead trumpet. They did not have enough money to pay for a string bass, so I covered that book on the WX5. In addition, I covered the lead trumpet book and the flute book (but I used an actual flute). That was one busy show!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Congratulations and all the bestest for the future,

Alyn

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,

Trudy and I have been scouring the Yamaha and Patchman Music sites for information on the axe and tone generator. The more we learn the more excited we get. We'll go straight to Bob's WX5 page when the gear arrives.

Care and feeding of a wind controller is new to both of us. Some detail questions are beginning to pop up. How often do you have to replace reeds? How many spares do you keep on hand? Do you need lube and Recorder Cream to keep the thing working? Do you keep a spare WX cable around? I guess they all relate to maintenance, so any tips you have on handling the physical device are welcome.

Alyn,

Thank you, my distant friend. We look forward to a long and happy future together.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Love is a beautiful thing. Congrats!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Richard, I'm using the original reed from 2001. I'm not even sure where I put the spare. I still use the one original cable to the Yamaha tone generator. No such thing as cream or lube. If you want to use it with a MIDI cable only, you need batteries. Other than that, no maintenance whatever.

You mentioned a hardshell case. I haven't seen that; perhaps it's newer? I do have the "gig bag" that came with mine, but I wouldn't expect that to provide much protection from damage; it's value to me is only as a dust cover. I just take care when packing the car for a gig that this sits on top.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie,

Thank you.

Matt,

Thanks for the info on upkeep. I made a point to get one with a hard case. It will probably never leave the house, but who knows? Chance favors the prepared mind.

Good job I picked the one I did when I did, too; by the time I went back to the site to show Trudy the details on the WX5 it and one or two others had been sold and the postings removed.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,919
Posts738,851
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
NETH TANYANG, Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown
38,616 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158