Hi Jim,

I am a guitarist also and I know exactly what you are talking about. If you are using Google Chrome there is a free app called guitarist reference that will tell you what chords you are playing. All you do is to click on the fret board where you put your finger and it will show you the name of the chord(s) that those notes may represent. As you know using only 3 or 4 notes can be just parts of a number of chords. I know this app will show 13th chords, b5#9 chords but for some reason does not show 13b9 chords. There may be others that it doesn’t know but I haven’t used it much as I have a couple of big guitar chord books.

As far as your chord progression suggestion that requires some music theory and most of the time a chord can lead to many different following chords. However there are free chord progression programs on the web, just search chord progression. Maybe some of those will help.

Good luck.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware