Some of my favorite lyricists are people you have never heard of. There's a guy in Australia named Mike Debenham who releases songs just into the online communities he participates in with incredibly poignant lyrics. There's a song he has written called 'The Clearing' which describes settler/shepherd life in Australia which gives me goosebumps each time it shows up in my mp3 player playlist. Here's an example from 'The Clearing':

"my dreams are a hundred black faces
close my ears to the cry
and i wake in the morn for there's work to be done
the axe and the gun"

Link to the song - you should hear it's beauty: http://barnadine.net/music/0609-Barnadine-Clearing.mp3

There are many folks that participate in February Album Writing Month that are penning very memorable lyrics. Some of my favorite 'Fawmers' lyricists are gerrybhoy, oddbod, jaenadon, resonance.

Another one I love is from a blues CD I'll have to chase down at home - it goes something like this: "Took me 20 years to get discovered overnight".

Edit - I found it as I had done a review on it for the Phantom Tollbooth. Michael Powers is the artist and Successful Son is the song. Why this guy isn't world famous, I'll never know.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 02/17/14 05:07 PM. Reason: Found source of great lyric!