Originally Posted By: GHinCH
If you haven't yet, this is a good time to start with an SSD.

1. There is software to copy your operating system onto the SSD. (Your original hard drive does not change.)
2. Update the system to Windows 10 on your SSD.
3. Test your system.
4. If it doesn't work, just use your old system (set the boot procedure back to the original hard drive).
5. Since you already have the SSD, go back to step one and from there proceed directly to step 6.
6. Use the system.

Usually this takes a lot of time, if you want to go back, because you have to reinstall all the software. But here you're working with a clone. Sure this takes time also, but allegedly no re-registering of software.

Got the 500gbSSD a few weeks ago, love it, computer boot cut in half, apps loading quicker.

Good advice as above about testing windows 10, but having a backup of your old OS (in my case windows 7 32bit) I use acronis.

Now to solve boot problems for those double or triple booting such as windows 7 and windows 10 a great app to help set your boot menu is EasyBCD,

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Scroll down page and get the free version. This in my opinion is a must have app, has pulled me out of many corners on countless occasions for example you have a partition with an OS on it but can't boot into it at startup.

With easyBCD its simple a few clicks and your boot menu is ready to go. As with all things to do with the Master boot record MBR a little caution is advised.

As regards upgrading to windows 10,the only thing that I am worried about is if I upgrade to windows 10 then for some reason my M-Audio fast track pro doesn't work, If I reinstall my acronis image of windows 7 that somehow the product key in future will be seen as invalid. I have been assured that this won't happen on other forums that its part of the course with windows 10 that you can go back to windows 7, but still a little unsure.

Saying that with the help of EasyBCD I will try and have both windows 7 and windows 10 running on a dual boot configuration.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 07/24/15 05:22 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile