A serious downside to using IEM in a small gig is that you can not easily hear the audience. I can understand a drummer using cans if there's a click he needs to hear, or if the stage is particularly loud and the cans are to keep the volume to safer levels for the musicians. Performers on big stages need them to avoid the floor being cluttered with wedges and the time delay that is part of the big stage due to distance. Duo's in a small club don't need that sort of monitoring.

I used to play a solo act for a time... acoustic guitar into a pretty substantial PA....

I used floor wedge monitors with excellent success. And I could hear the audience since the audience in a small club for a solo act or duo will be talking to you and commenting and you want to be able to hear them and reply. If you don't reply, they will think you're ignoring them and that's not good for business.

I agree with Bob.... hot spots are not my choice in monitors. Our band tried them out and blew them out and went beck to floor and side fill. They covered too small of an area. Like their name implies, if you're not in the "hot spot" you're not going to hear much.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/11/15 03:02 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.