Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
drutgat and maybe others who are interested to know.
I have a fast NVMe SSD, which is several times faster than standard SSD SATA.
For the sake of the test, I made a partition with 30 GB overhead and moved RT and RD to new partition. Made no difference at all in render times.

Within 14 second rendering time my CPU and HD did not peak over 35%. Memory used by BIAB did not exceed 310 megabytes under the stress test.

I am not too tech savvy, but from the information I gathered it has to do with how the RT/RD files are handled. From my understanding, with every rendering/change BIAB goes to original source files and does does something inside the program, not utilizing computer resources well. So I believe, you can have a rocket fast computer, but render speeds would not change much until PG changes code to optimize how RT/RD are handled.

P.S. drutgat, If you are planning to buy external SSD for BIAB, look into NVMe SSD, not a regular SATA SSD.

Rustyspoon (Mike?),
This is very useful indeed. Thanks so much. I had actually just started (a few days ago) to wonder about NVMe SSD's and had taken a brief look at NVMe SSDs, wanting to investigate more.

I am definitely go in this direction, rather than a SATA based SSD for my system drive.

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon