I guess it all depends how much you actually know about this case. The article cited first here is perhaps a bit lopsided in its coverage.

Quote:

THREE men have appeared in court accused of beating a man with a metal pole and cricket bat after he was said to have broken into one of their homes and held their family at knifepoint.

Munir Hussain’s family were held by three men with knives – but he fought back against one and attacked him with two relatives who lived nearby, Reading Crown Court was told.

Waled Salem, 56, previously of Boreham Wood, Hertfordshire, was left with a fractured skull and severe bruising of the brain after the street attack.

A witness said he thought Mr Salem was going to be killed.

Source

Quote:

Sentencing, Judge John Reddihough said it was his "public duty" to jail Hussain. He said that people should not be permitted to inflict "their own instant and violent punishment" or risk undermining the rule of law.

Source

We should be allowed to stop intruders at whatever level it takes to do so.

We do not have the right or authority to continue beating the intruder with a metal pole and a cricket bat in an effort to vent our own misguided rage or take our own avengement/revenge out on the intruder, crook or otherwise.

A Cricket Bat?

To the head?

Repeatedly?

I'd rather take my chances on gettin' shot at that point.

--Mac