Quote:

I like the ability in BIAB to specify chord progressions then hit play. I think what I am looking for is a tool to augment my practicing and was hoping BIAB was the tool. I do know how to play guitar, albeit not as well as I would like at the moment which was the intention, though the lessons help.

In that case, Band-in-a-Box is a perfect practicing aid! Not only that, but you can view guitar parts in notation with TAB right below, biew it on a virtual guitar neck as it plays, or step through one beat at a time and view for breaking things down if need be.

Quote:

So to summarize, BIAB will allow me to specify the chord progression of my choice.
If I am using midi I have all sorts of control on the strumming patterns etc. If I use real tracks I have no control.

Pretty much. With the MIDI based stuff, unless you choose to load and play a standard MIDI file in BiaB, the strumming parts will be created and thus dictated by the chosen Style file for the song. This is certainly not a kill, as BiaB ships with thousands of styles. Matter of fact, that is the key reason I always tell a noob to purchase the largest BiaB Pak that they can afford, for the more styles you have to choose from, the more you can do.

Quote:

Where I am hung up on is if I choose to purchase BIAB do I need to make MIDI files to specify the strumming patterns in a bar or can I do something in the user interface, right click on the bar for example, and specify a pattern?

The auto-accompaniment inside BiaB is governed by that all-important chosen STYLE. The rest is a one-button push automatic situation to generate the parts.

BiaB is an excellent Practice and Learning tool!

After a few months working out with it, I'll bet that you will find out, as many of us have, just how much the live musicians you're accustomed to playing with today, can stretch and rush Tempos, just for starters.

The next thing you will likely notice is how many of 'em can't play or sing in tune, really.

Having expert backing, which is what BiaB provides, is key in improving your playing and improvisational skills. At one time we might have been able to find that kind of environment in clubs and at jam sessions, today such are few and far between. BiaB can do the job and then some. There are even features added to enhance your Practicing regimen, such as the Practice Window, which provides a lot of tools for looping until you get it, slowing it down, etc.

Also spend ten minutes a day with the BiaB Ear Trainer. Interval and then Chord identification, like playing a computer game, it will amaze you if you use it, even if you already are able to identify most things you hear. I went from maybe 80% recognition of chords to near 100%. Already had the intervals up and down, really, but there were some embarassing moments with Ear Trainer that cleared up within about a week of daily use. i like the fact that if you miss a certain Interval or Chord in a session, the program will circle back on them and throw them at you until you grok in fullness.

--Mac