As a side note, for kick drum I've used a lot of different mics and techniques, including some nice drum mic kits.
I keep going back to a two mic technique for bass drum. Well a mic and subwoofer.

The subwoofer simply has a mic cable that connects to the two speaker wires, then the other end gets plugged into the mixer/preamp. Kinda a reverse wired scenario; instead of sending a signal to the sub we let it pick up the deep bass drum sound and send it to the mixer (of course you need to bypass the amp in the subwoofer if it has one so it is passive).
Set it about a foot away from the audience side of the bass drum, and then use a different mic on the pedal side to get the snap of the pedal. Works a treat.

Mac suggested I try this years ago and we keep going back to it for recording situations. Then you can mix varying amount of 'snap' and 'boom' from the kick; you can EQ the snap mic to be sharp and crisp and the boom to be chest thumping. That way you're not fighting with how to EQ a single mic signal.

In the image below, we are just rehearsing songs and recording a guitar player (no drum recording) so it's a bit closer than it should be.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome