Lazarus,
I get in "part" what you are saying...but here is the thing. Stuff like Trap, Rap inspired modern pop, Techno rooted music...
Sure, BIAB is shy of those, because mainly (I speak for myself) it is valued for traditional genres. Rock-Pop-Jazz-Blues-Folk-Country, etc. and most importantly for the actual professional studio musicians that recorded these tracks using live instruments.

So may I ask you, how would you imagine Techno/Rap based music recorded on live instruments? What I have heard in conversation in this forum and by talking to a professional musician, that future of the music is FuSiOn. Not misinterpreted by "musical style" fusion. But actual fusion of various musical genres. And BIAB is absolutely great for that.

Let me explain. Sometimes, when time permits I would do composition in 2 absolutely different software titles. A midi based program and BIAB, blending results in DAW. Because another arranger software would have a different genre flavor, it creates the "fusion" I am looking for. There sure are always challenges and unorthodox approaches, because just slapping chords is not really "composing" but it is a rewarding creative process.

To finalize statement with dose of healthy critique... Yes, I think BIAB is lacking "some" content of new genres, but...
With using a combination of loops, MIDI (in house OR IMPORTED) in combination with Real Tracks you can create very interesting soundscapes. Hopefully, soon Utility Tracks (2021 feature) will be further developed to accept (without workarounds) Midi and other content that could be used to create rich arrangements of any style.

Your request: ".. title search of current popular song will take you to styles that would be a satisfying match to that song....(no oompah or Celtic music cluttering up the list!)..."
Was somewhat discussed here in Wishlist recently. To be able to sort pickers "excluding" certain genres.

Sorry one more paragraph. While I was typing this, I thought of 2 items that might serve your needs. Did you know that BIAB can output chord file of current arrangement? You can use this to create tracks of any genre by using arpeggio / modern based instruments in Kontakt or such and blend results with Real tracks. And final thought... You can create your own Audio based Real Tracks (User Tracks) of ANY genre to be used in BIAB. And they will follow your chord changes in BIAB together with Real Tracks. They are not hard to create if you are using Synth Based instrument. There are a couple ways these (User Tracks) can be done and I am sure users with more knowledge will be able to assist.... Hmmm.. It is actually interesting thought. I might try something like that myself smile