Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Well... lots of good suggestions in the previous comments.

I'd start with Native Instruments Kontakt. If you want a good starting point, and money isn't really an issue, I'd suggest the Komplete package from NI. Last time I looked, it had Kontakt and somewhere close to 10+ other synths. All with different characteristics and a ton of virtual instruments and sounds. In addition, there are easily hundreds of third party vendors who make unique sound libraries that only work with Kontakt. You not only get the basic orchestral and band instruments but you get a bunch of soundscapes, and other sounds that go into what it sounds like you're wanting to do.

In my humble opinion, you can not go wrong using NI as a starting point. They have a huge and ever expanding library of sounds, it is relatively affordable compared to other synths and libraries on the market, and the most important thing is that everything they have sounds good.

Many years ago, I picked up Komplete and have never regretted it. Huge bass synths, drums and percussion synths, soundscapes...

I have a few other synth libraries.... East West, Miroslav, and a few other ones but the Komplete package is my go to synth when I need something unique.

As far as something sounding dated.... I think it's more a factor of how it's used vs the actual sound.

No argument with any of that. I went with Komplete as my starter—just had more bang for the buck at the time and included Kontakt, of course.

This was the year that I upgraded to
KOMPLETE 13 ULTIMATE Collector's Edition With the sale on right now, it was the same price as adding just the full Symphony Strings that I'd been wanting a long time.

Quote:
.. my only regret is that I don't write music that can use it to its fullest.

I hear you there. Does anyone? Can anyone?

Quote:
I wonder when the Upgrade prices will be on sale?

NOW!!!
This is the first time in a year and a half that Komplete Upgrades have been on sale—none last year (only add-ons). 50% upgrades don't come along very often.

SAVE WITH A SCORCHING HALF-PRICE SUMMER SALE Summer of Sound is back … until June 30th

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5