Originally Posted By: etcjoe

............ You can do a cover version of a song with your own arrangement as far as I know, but I could be wrong. ....................

For your own personal use yes that is true but it is not true if you post or sell your version. Then melody line and lyrics are covered by copyright, but backing tracks or arrangement usually are not: if the backing track or arrangement are a unique part of the song then they could also be copyright covered.

For instance say you take the melody and lyrics of Misty and put them in front of a metal band doing a samba backing track and post it you are breaking copyright laws.

PS - that is why PGM does not allow cover songs to be posted if you do not have a license that allows you to use said cover song.

Note that I am not a lawyer nor have I played one on TV but that is what I have read.

You know you're getting old when a recliner and a heating pad is your idea of a hot date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware