Maybe when I was still new to BiaB, this would happen. But nowadays, when I sit down with it, I usually have a genre in mind, and within that genre I have a few favorite styles that I will try first. So this limits any tangents BiaB may send me out on.

These days, I use BiaB as a way to create tracks that I later import into Cakewalk, where all the final adjusting and mixing occurs. One of the most valuable things about BiaB I've found is that I can mix and match tracks from different styles, and sometimes even different genres, and come up with a Cakewalk file that is often outstanding.

Take, for example, a piece I'm working on now. It's a smooth jazz piece in A major. I used various tracks from BiaB that I imported into CW as MIDI files. I imported a complete converted to MIDI style as the base, then when I needed to add more instruments, I used BiaB's drag-drop feature. Very handy.

I started out with my base tracks as fairlana, because it has a good smooth jazz groove. But I wanted harp (47 Orchestral Strings, to be specific), too. I used the harp found in healing1 and myriad. But I didn't like the sound of them together, so I actually extracted parts of the myriad track and copied them to the healing1 track, then I got rid entirely of myriad. For keys, the kb part in fairlana is fairly sparse. I wanted to add some excitement there, so I added in just the keyboard part from the m_answr1 style. I wanted something to sort of fill the middle, but I didn't want strings, so I snagged the Voice Oohs from the choclet style. And finally to enhance the percussion section, I added the "drums" from the myriad style, which are mostly percussion instruments.

Then I got to balance and mix down everything so it didn't sound like a giant gob of mush, and I think I've succeeded. The result is a nice little 7 part piece that will work well for further expansion. Now all I have to do is write a melody for it. Which will probably take longer than it did to assemble the piece.

Last edited by cooltouch; 08/30/22 06:32 AM.