Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
JnB(4T).

thanks for the info. much appreciated.
ie info from people who have got some reward for their efforts.

i'm not sure i want to go on you tube.i value being unknown based on my discussions with 2 well known artists in the past. also sooo many people on you tube.

i'm also not greedy. just wanna make enough to feed my gear lust once a year. lol.

in addition i'm trying to figure out why a few people do really well streaming
(ie the 1 percent) vs the 99 percent that dont. ie what are the 1 percent doing right ?
bcos at some point the 1 percent were of course unknown….so what did they do right ? versus everybody else.

let me say i'm not lazy and have worked v hard in my life, and i'm not expecting much.
its just i prefer creating songs rather than doing tons of marketing.

kudos to your talents and happiness.

om

ps rharv thanks for the links. great stuff.
always liked Bowie.

Firstly, thanks for the compliment.

IMHO with few exceptions (and obviously) you have to produce music in genres that are mostly likely to attract the largest streaming audiences if the number of streams is your goal. We played in traditional bluegrass bands for years, charted an album and sold a decent number of CD’s mainly because our music partner was Grammy nominated. smile All proceeds were donated to charity.

Years later after discovering BiaB we moved to blues and Americana - a couple more popular genres smile Our “success” with them via mostly Songtradr has been financially much much less than that one CD. But those CD days are not a viable option.

Songtradr allows you to upload an unlimited number of songs while most of the other sync libraries have to approve your submissions and they approve a very small percentage. There’s not much to lose other than time to upload. One serious film or tv placement would be worth a zillion streams. Low probability but …

We have ZERO interest in creating ANY music that is not close to our hearts. So for us it’s done 100% for the joy of it. This does not imply that we don’t understand and support the interests of those who seek an income from music in today’s environment.

Now if we could earn decent $ from producing the music we love that would of course be wonderful. But as mentioned our style of music ain’t gonna do that!

Oh, and I’m an old guy entrenched in my “ways!”

Bud