Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
[quote=AudioTrack]
I don't know what the F# Major chord is. It isn't in the table and I don't know how to derive it.

If I need to memorize each and every scale in order to derive the chord spellings, that seems like a huge effort. Or is the solution to use one of the websites MusicStudent provided above and mouse-click to produce the spellings?

First, the major triad for a F# would be F#,A#,C#. And while it may seem like a huge effort it is really just a matter of putting in the time to understand basic theory. So, yes you could just use the websites I pointed to or get a book/cheat sheet and look up what and when you need to. But the more you use this stuff the more it starts to sink in. There really is a means to the madness.

You are asking the right questions. Just keep at it.

And if I may...

Every Major Chord is built from the Major Scale no matter what key you start from. The formular for a Major Scale is: (I) whole step (ii) whole step (iii) half step (IV) whole step (V) whole step (vi) whole step (VII) half step (I)

Every scale (Minor, Augmented, Diminished) has a different and unique formular

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper