Originally Posted By: eddie1261
One thing we obviously do very differently is that when I made a set list, that list was CAST IN BRONZE. I put a lot of thought into those lists to move the emotion of the crowd up and down, so I would not deviate from it. Part of that rigidity was based on equipment. If the next song is "Yo' Mama", which called for a specific keyboard setup that required a lot of changing, or the guitar player needing to go from Strat to Les Paul, or the front guy to pick up his sax

this is one of the best reasons for embedding MIDI directly into a sequence, then presenting your trax from a sequencing program. Depending on your gear, MIDI can totally initialize everything you need to use in a song.

for example, if the guitar player is using a HELIX pedal with a VARIAX guitar... the Variax guitar models are all programmable and the helix amp and effects models are also programmable. No more stopping to pick up a different guitar... its all a part of the sequence initialization.

This approach also allows all volume changes, effects changes etc to happen automatically so the occasional brain fart won't lead to a train wreck because you spaced out and forgot to step on a pedal.

Upshot to all of this is that every song initializes itself. You are then free to organize your songs on the fly, knowing that all the settings that in the past would have required you to stop and turn some knob or change a cable now happen automatically .. and you don't have to remember any of it! Your brain is free to focus on the music

For a solo performer playing electric instruments, it adds a lot of flexibility. But I can see where acoustic music doesn't derive anywhere near the same benefit.