Rharv.

yep i noticed the flac encoding stats.

possibly this is just one aspect in the overall picture tho' ??.
i would suspect the only way to get to the truth is to actually get input from a developer who has coded music software incorporating flac support as an option to wav.
(eg one of the developers of reaps.)

allow me to explain….eg…

from what i see both flac and wav create headers includeing properties eg wav RIFF.
i dont know much about flac.( see the xiph web site.)

maybe the reaper devs have some funky assembler sub routines to speed things up and have built their own custom libs. from what ive seen they are uber smart.

in summary , and looking at the big picture , the truth is probably that there are several factors relating to plusses and minuses of flac and wav.
for example i dont think anyone can argue the fact that with flac less audio data is being pumped thru the 'pipe' per second than the wav format.
maybe this aspect outweighs the flac encoding speed…i just dont know.
as i said only a developer//coder would know.

all i CAN SAY is ive never had 'glitches' using flac to record.

i suspect its the old he/she conundrum…lol…ie 'he said' and 'she said' ….but the real truth lies somewhere down the middle. thus i suspect encode speed is just one aspect and maybe overridden by other things like 'data thru the pipe' speed//sec, and hard drive and memory and cpu speed.

all i can relate are my own experiences with flac creating loads of songs.
(see my soundcloud sig where most of the songs used flac for various recording tasks…but of course some people might feel the songs suck…not flacs fault…lol.)

have a fantastic xmas rharv.
(and big respect to you for helping so many people on the pg forums every year.)

om

Gordon.

re 50 ms delay...thats an excellent point.
my goodness your good technically.
have a merry one.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/18/22 08:47 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)