Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, the Armstrong has better tone than the Selmer.

Plus, I've had the Selmer so many years now, the silver plating is coming off.

The nastiest looking instruments get played in the salt spray. Except for the guitar, since I only have one good one.

I'm on the other side of the dune from the ocean. The venue is covered with a canvas cover, and we are on the east end with the dune to our back. On windy days, the salt covers everything.

We do this 3 days a week, and the owner keeps us all summer, even though the business is not very good that time of the year. His philosophy is that if he wants great entertainment in the winter tourist season, he needs to keep them all summer when it's slow. He does that with the cooks, bartenders and wait staff, too.

So if the instruments turn to rust, they are paid for.

I bought a used sax for this purpose. I got the used Armstrong to play outdoors, but since it has better tone than the Selmer flute, I decided to make it the indoor flute.

We also play twice a month at a huge, outdoor RV Resort. It's outdoors too, but about 3 miles west of the ocean, so there is no salt spray. But I use the outdoor instruments anyway.

Playing in a place like this, Caig DeOxit Red and Caig DeOxit Gold are staples of life. They keep the connections working, but not the finish on the instruments.

The picture is at low tide, you can see how high the water comes by the change of sand color.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the explanation. I’m surprised the Armstrong sounds better than the Selmer but now your choice makes sense. Actually I’ve never played a Selmer flute so it was just an assumption based on saxes. I had a Mark V tenor. And I’m very familiar with the Atlantic coast from Ponte Vedra. It certainly adds a challenge for you.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a Mark VI sax, it was a fine horn.

I traded it in for a Mark VII which in the shop sounded great. The problem was I play pop music, and I couldn't overblow the VII. It had nice tone, a little brighter than the VI which was good for rock and blues, but it had only one tone. So I went back to the shop on Monday to buy my old VI back, but they sold it already.

I traded the VII for a Couf Superba, and I liked that even better than the VI and the VII. The problem with that was it had a lot of copper in the brass, and shops don't relacquer anymore. It eventually turned green with a surface that had the texture of a cantaloupe skin.

A few more horns, and I got the MacSax. I did a custom job and had it plated with silver colored nickel. It's a Taiwan horn, and I found out from a couple of manufacturers, that other than ornaments, all the Taiwan horns are the same. The body and parts are farmed out to different factories, so the working parts are all interchangeable. MacSax only makes mouthpieces now.

The guy I had overhaul both flutes told me he has never been impressed with Selmer flutes, but he said mine was an exceptionally nice Selmer. He thought the Armstrong sounded better too.

I'm not really a flute player, just a doubler. I wouldn't take a gig playing nothing but flute. But I do a Jethro Tull tune, a Herbie Man tune, and a few others. It's fun to have that voice.

Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ha; I'm a flute doubler at best, also. I see the quizzical looks when someone glances up and says, wait a minute - the trumpet player took that flute solo?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

I'm on the other side of the dune from the ocean. The venue is covered with a canvas cover, and we are on the east end with the dune to our back. On windy days, the salt covers everything.

Playing in a place like this, Caig DeOxit Red and Caig DeOxit Gold are staples of life. They keep the connections working, but not the finish on the instruments.

Notes ♫

Yep...everything at the ocean is going to be covered in the salt mist. Between the humidity, the wind, the sand, and the salt spray, that is one harsh environment.

Walking down the beach it looks like smoke/mist coming off the ocean.

One of the pickups on my SG... the bridge pickup, is missing all of it's chrome plating. Not from playing at the ocean, but from the salt in my sweat from countless nights on stage. We did, over the course of time, play several indoor nightclubs that were at the beach. They used huge fans for ventilation which pulled in the salt spray and the marsh mosquitos. Might as well have been outside. It was a case of wipe them down after the sets, and then go home and clean the guitars fully.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Ha; I'm a flute doubler at best, also. I see the quizzical looks when someone glances up and says, wait a minute - the trumpet player took that flute solo?

My brother-in-law does that. He is both a great trumpet player and a great flute player. It's a rare combination. He plays flute better than I do. Sadly, there isn't a lot of work for trumpet players around here, so he teaches school too.

On stage in my current duo, I play tenor sax, flute, wind synth, and I sing. I get the "How many instruments DO you play?" Question a lot. It's good for show biz appeal.

I used to bring a keyboard and not the guitar, but as we started playing fewer standards and more rock, the guitar became more important. It has better stage appeal, too.

In bands, I've been in through the years, I learned from the other guys in the band to play bass, some keys, and rhythm guitar (barre chords only). I've also doubled on drums (my first instrument). Not every song has a sax part, so it was good to learn other instruments. In one band, the drummer was a good singer, so I'd get behind the kit for a few songs and let him get out front (the girls loved it).

It's show biz, so switching instruments gets people talking about you, and that generates more audience members, which means more gigs.

During the psychedelic years, I played bass, as nobody wanted to hire a sax player. I had a Fender P Bass and a used Ampeg amp. Heavy stuff to tote around and hang on your shoulder, but I was much younger then.

Playing notes on the bass taught me how to find my way around the fretboard, so in my 60s, when I decided to buy a guitar and learn lead, I progressed quickly.

I like playing different instruments, as they require different forms of expression. You don't play the instrument, you let the instrument play you.

I also like playing different genres of music for the same reason. It's all fun.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Basses - Left to Right

1 Thrown together parts 50's P Bass knock off (I hand made the pickguard)
2 Takamine Acoustic
3 Fender MIM Jazz Bass Squier Series (Check the headstock & pickguard - I still don't quite know what this is)
4 Fender MIM Jazz V 5 String
5 Mini I don't know P Bass knockoff - 5 bucks at a pawn shop
6 Fender MIA Jazz (used to be my favorite to play)
7 Fender MIJ '62 Precision Reissue - My current favorite
8 Fender MIM Jazz with some cool upgraded pickups
9 Squier Bronco Bass - $15 at a yard sale . . .
Fender Bassman 4x0 / 1X15 Combo with a Genz Benz Amp

Custom strap by Cody Hixon at Great Point Custom Leather

Guitars
Martin Acoustic
Custom Built Tele
Fender "Waylon Jennings" leather covered Tele
Fender Acoustic
Boss Katana 2x12 MK II Amp
Johnson Mandolin

I have a lot more guitars but those are my "go too"

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
FB_IMG_1687452540681.jpg (138.07 KB, 107 downloads)
FB_IMG_1687452448793.jpg (121.79 KB, 107 downloads)
Last edited by Sawmill Music; 06/22/23 07:24 AM.

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
@Sawmill Music

I can show you how well they hang on my wall...

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/23/23 06:23 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
@Sawmill Music

I can show you how well they hang on my wall...

laugh Hah! I bet! I think I'll keep them where they are for now . . . my grandson (at 18 months) has already taken a liking to them LOL - Counting on him being MUCH better at this music thing then his old granddad

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
20230114_133513.jpg (4.44 MB, 7 downloads)

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
Off-Topic
J
jdew Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: roseramms

My one is,well it's just Old Macdonalds

S.B. Macdonald?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have nothing against collectors.

I have one guitar that I gig with, and a spare in case it breaks.

I have one tenor sax that I gig with, and a spare in case it breaks.

I have one WX5 Wind MIDI controller, and a spare in case it breaks.

My relationship with my instrument is playing them. I gig 15-20 times per month. I haven't the wall space nor the desire to be a collector.

There is more than one right way to do music. This has always been my way.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
THIS collector would still rather be playing but the physical ability left the building like Elvis. So now, like me in my younger days, all that matters is that they are pretty to look at.

Some days I just cant wait to see how you are going to fit in your flex and boast about how much you work and how rich and famous you are. You manage to do it on 4 of every 5 posts you make. (Even though nobody asks are cares.)

What HAS been lacking is your bragging about the expensive world destination vacations. You're slipping, ol' timer!!!

Happier every day you didn't come to Herbstock.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,906
Posts738,702
Members38,614
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic, smokeybirdsept2679
38,614 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 153