Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
Back to SongMaster Pro for a bit, which program I've just started exploring.

I've been trying to analyse the Dave Brubeck band's "Take Five" and it seems to fail fairly spectacularly to do what it should. It thinks it's in 4/4 (OK, easily enough fixed) and unsurprisingly I have to correct the timing at the beginning. It looks like it probably gets the chords right. But it fails to get most of the stems anything like right. Drums are OK, bass may be OK, most other instruments are in "The Rest" apart from some occasional witterings and the odd section where it decides the Sax is a guitar.

I can't say I'm surprised, really, as this always seemed a major "wow, that's incredible" and the instruments all have rich spectral content. It does transpose and adjust tempo OK, which was a large part of what I wanted, and I imagine it will work better for other pieces. I haven't seen anything yet that suggests there's a way to better tune it for generating the stems of other sounds.
Hey Gordon, I'm fascinated by what's going on under the hood with stem separation. I suspect that if the program wasn't trained on songs similar to Take Five, then it probably won't do a good job because of the sonic overlap of the various instruments.

One thing you might try is to make it easier to for the program by slowing down the tempo of the file you feed it . . . just a thought.
Another thought is to email the file to the developer and see if they can do any better. At a minimum you'll makke them aware of the kind of music you're trying to decompose.
--Steve

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.