Latest Threads | Latest Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hrs | 48 hrs | 7 days | 30 days
Re: Music and the CLT David Snyder 18 minutes ago Forum: Off-Topic Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Herb, James Taylor pointed out that very thing about guitars in a video I watched once. He said most guitars are notorious for this inherent flaw, that some of the strings have to be slightly out of tune at times to sound right.
Replies 6 Views 129 Read More
Re: Are key changes making a comeback? David Snyder 1 hour ago Forum: Songwriting Jump to new postsJump to new posts
One of my favorite key changes of all time which I think is absolute genius is Penny Lane . It starts off in A. And then it goes to G for the chorus. Wow. Cool man.
Replies 5 Views 160 Read More
Re: Rosie the Riveter Bass Thumper 1 hour ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Pretty cool song idea, BT. My grandfather's name wasn't exactly Rosie, but he did something similar. Very well done! Enjoyed the listen. A lot!
I never of heard a guy named Rosie but Johnny Cash knows a boy named Sue smile Thanks for the listen and glad you enjoyed it.
Replies 9 Views 196 Read More
Re: Does this exist: standalone program to regularize tempo? DrDan 1 hour ago Forum: Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Ya, this all makes sense. I have dabbled with this in the past, but I can tell you there does come a time when you need a true audio engineer to do this. Since this can tend to blow ones mind during the production... grin
Replies 15 Views 348 Read More
Re: Music and the CLT Guitarhacker 2 hours ago Forum: Off-Topic Jump to new postsJump to new posts
I think the big choirs are more likely populated with people who can actually sing in key and had to pass an audition to get on the choir... Choirs like the Mormon Tabernacle and a few other high profile ones come to mind. Your average church choir is looking for almost anyone who claims they can sing, to fill the chairs. The result is an averaging of pitches to get reasonably close to sounding halfway decent. Except for Sister Agatha. Agatha always sings sharp and louder than everyone else with a voice that is reminiscent of something halfway between a factory time clock whistle and a banshee from the pits of Hades. In the past, I had actually joined the church choir. I was one of the few who had permission to do "special music" solo's without the requirement of being in the choir. I did acquiesce to the requests of the music minister to join. It was a nightmare for me. I can hear very small deviations in pitch and being in the midst of a group of people who were singing either sharper or flatter than the given key of the song, well, I would often find myself just listening rather than adding to the cacophony. After a couple of weeks of utter boredom and frustration, I had another discussion with the MM and told him it simply wasn't my thing and he could either use me where I could be helpful or opt to not use me. In another time.....even earlier. I knew a couple of piano tuners through the years. While watching and observing the actual tuning process, I noticed that they would tune using the strobe tuner and then reference the note against another note lower on the piano. Then they would tweek that higher note based on the lower one rather than what the strobe tuner said. Asking about that, I was told that you trust the piano to tell you the truth rather than the strobe tuner. It had to do with the characteristics of a given piano. While it was generally true that certain notes on a piano were correctly to pitch, those notes were something to pay attention to and adjust on a per basis. Kinda like the same way many guitarists have tuning issues with the G string on their guitar. I know that on my guitars, I can tune the G string but then I need to adjust it slightly flat on my guitars for it to work well in chords. It's fascinating how that works.
Re: EMF AND YOUR HEALTH. justanoldmuso 2 hours ago Forum: Off-Topic Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Gordon... an interesting article re pacemakers... https://www.cardiovascular.abbott/us/en/patients/cardiovascular-device-patient-services/emi.html im surprised in this tech age that such devices can be impacted by various common gadgets etc. call me paranoid...lol.. happiness. om
Replies 2 Views 68 Read More
Re: Music and the CLT Janice & Bud 2 hours ago Forum: Off-Topic Jump to new postsJump to new posts
No, but I know folks who would hear those sharp and flat notes within that 300 and be unhappy with the ensemble. ­čśÇ Bud
Re: Does this exist: standalone program to regularize tempo? Brian Hughes 4 hours ago Forum: Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production Jump to new postsJump to new posts
OK, got ya. I would call that quantization. I have not had much need for this. In general for me, when the tempo changes it is intentional, so I just need to use a tempo map to bring any midi to the grid. Thanks. [/quote] Yes it is the same thing just different term. This video explains what I am talking about. I know Mat uses Studio One Pro as well as Melodyne, this is why I was suggesting this approach. Of course there are lots of ways to skin a whatever laugh Melodyne in Studio One: Stretching the tempo
MuseScore has commercial instruments dcuny 4 hours ago Forum: Off-Topic Jump to new postsJump to new posts
MuseScore is a free to use music notation program. It comes with quite a number of free high-quality sounds, taken from their commercial StaffPad program:
  • Choir
  • Strings
  • Woodwinds
  • Brass
  • Percussion
  • Keys
  • Harp
  • Guitars
In the latest release of MuseHub, there's now an option to create an account and purchase instruments. These instruments come from other commercial libraries (Orchestral Tools, Spitfirst Audio, Cinesamples). The instruments are much smaller than the full versions, with limited articulations, and only offer a single microphone position. And MuseScore is purely a notation program, so you won't be able to play any of these instruments live. On the plus side, they are much cheaper than the full versions and are integrated into the MuseScore notation. At the moment, many are on sale, up to 67% off. That makes most of them less than $10 each. I've heard a number of demos, and they sound pretty good. Orchestral Tools
  • Berlin Woodwinds
  • First Chairs
  • Berlin Strings
  • Berlin Brass
  • Berlin Soloists
  • Berlin Percussion
  • Berlin Pianos
  • Berlin Harps
Spitfire Audio
  • Symphony Woodwinds
  • Symphony Percussion
  • Symphony Brass
  • Symphony Strings
  • Harpsichord
  • Chamber Strings
  • Union Chapel Organ
  • Felt Piano
Cinesamples
  • CineWinds
  • CineStrings Solo
  • CineStrings
  • CineBrass
  • VOXOS Epic Choir
  • Tina Gua Acoustic Cello
  • Taylor Davis Violin
  • CinePerc
  • CinePiano
  • CineHarps
So if you've ever thought I'd love to have some orchestral libraries so I could use them in a notation program, now's your chance. wink
Replies 0 Views 22 Read More
Re: Does this exist: standalone program to regularize tempo? Matt Finley 4 hours ago Forum: Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production Jump to new postsJump to new posts
To reiterate so there is no confusion, I want to take a commercial stereo audio track and make it one constant tempo. I do realize the benefits of MIDI and the musicality of organic changes in tempo. My specific need is to make a song one track in my notation program so I can play around with transcriptions and arranging, without having to fool with changing tempos making it out of sync. WhatÔÇÖs an easy way to do that?
Re: Have You Ever Been In Love? rsdean 4 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
James, You make some really great music... This one works very well. Great use of Synth V and a great mix. Bob
Replies 10 Views 203 Read More
Re: Have You Ever Been In Love? musician17 4 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
firesong: thanks so much for listening! I will have a look at the staccato section, for sure ... you are not the only one to have mentioned it, it seems smile Bass Thumper: thanks! DC Ron: thanks! The halting staccato seems to have been a subject of controversy, haha - glad you liked the song smile Marty: what is love? I was worried I'd have a Paul of Tarsus quote coming up wink Seriously, though, thank you. I'll be back singing, soon enough, but I thought that this song needed a softer, female voice singing it. I'm lucky there are those synths in existence, these days ... smile Thanks so much for listening! Mario: 60 years!!! Wow - CONGRATULATIONS!!! and thank you for such efusive praise for the song - really glad you liked it, and so grateful for such kind words! David Cuny: yep ... wouldn't be a JD song without one or two of my trademark progressions wink but I'm glad you liked the song! I will have a look at the staccato stuff for sure ... I'm 50/50 right now on what to do with it, keep or let go ... anyway, thanks so much for listening! smile Herb: thanks!!! As I wrote above, I will have a look at the staccato section smile David Snyder: yes, but you can sing properly, so ... smile Thanks for listening and for your really nice words! smile
Replies 10 Views 203 Read More
Re: ROOM 305 rsdean 4 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
David, Much appreciated as always! Thanks! Bob
Replies 40 Views 894 Read More
Re: ROOM 305 rsdean 4 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Steve, That's a great compliment - thank you. Bob
David, I always appreciate your kind words. Thanks. Bob
Torrey, That's so kind of you. Thank you. Bob
Mac Needs Dedicated Tutorial App Skeuo 5 hours ago Forum: Band-in-a-Box Wishlist Jump to new postsJump to new posts
BIAB's advertising does not make it at all clear that the Lessons and other teaching functions don't actually exist on Macs...they are Windows-only, for some reason. Support tells me that following along in the songs (which are included for Macs) is the same experience. Not really the case, though.
Replies 0 Views 23 Read More
Re: ALL WE KNEW Janice Merritt & rayc HearToLearn 5 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
What an amazing song! It's a song who's time has come. I will try to summarize my thoughts simply by saying, this is perspective without preaching. How you could have said so much in so few words is stunning. Now of course we know you can write. We know you can sing. We know you can play your instruments. We know you know the in's and outs of mixing. There are a decent number of people that can pull one, or two of those off in a song. Some even more. But you NAILED all four! So it sounds fantastic! Slightly different than I would have expected but I think that's what happens when you through all of you into the recipe and see how it tastes. Those ingredients CAN make a great song. But I wanted to specifically address the subject matter. THAT is what makes this a NEEDED song! I recently saw a big budget summer movie that actually had the female be the hero of the story. They did it all without man bashing, or TRYING to hit you over the head with some kind of message. The "in case you're too stupid to get it; let me spell it out for you" condescending kind of statement. THEY JUST DID IT! To me, THAT is the start of equality. When it's just done. They did give us the explanation, she was just that good; but didn't spoon feed us what we already figured out through the story. THIS SONG DOES THAT! So, I can't say "Thank You" enough to see and hear what you all have accomplished. The acknowledgement honors women of every generation. As a man who loves his mom, loves his wife, and loves his four daughters like his two sons I feel we are finally nearing that point. This song is a step in the right direction. To make the younger generations understand and hopefully not take for granted the progress that has been made. Yes, there is still work to be done; but how do these kinds of expressions not give hope? Anyway, I know I took this in a different direction than what you were maybe hoping to hear. The song is great. EVERY aspect of it. I just really felt as though it transcends beyond simple be a great song executed by great people with great talent. In my opinion, it was so much bigger than that. And now, back to the shadows. laugh
Replies 49 Views 1,291 Read More
Re: ROOM 305 rsdean 6 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Scott, I appreciate that - thank you. Bob
Re: Are key changes making a comeback? AudioTrack 8 hours ago Forum: Songwriting Jump to new postsJump to new posts
I actually really never thought that key changes were the prevailing fashion for a specific musical period. They have always had their place in music, and always will.
Replies 5 Views 160 Read More
Re: Does this exist: standalone program to regularize tempo? DrDan 9 hours ago Forum: Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Originally Posted by Brian Hughes
I am refering to a fixed tempo of the project. If a recording was not used with a click track the tempo can vary. Melodyne can analyze the the averages and stretch and compress the audio to a fixed tempo of the project.
OK, got ya. I would call that quantization. I have not had much need for this. In general for me, when the tempo changes it is intentional, so I just need to use a tempo map to bring any midi to the grid. Thanks.
Re: BADBYE (New Mix) mkg50 (Mike G) 9 hours ago Forum: User Showcase Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
The entire production supports the very melancholy lyric well. Nice track selection and we always enjoy an open mix like this. It really sounds great on the monitors. A sad topic but very well done! J&B
Janice and Bud, thanks for listening and your generous comments. I was very pleased to read you liked the mix as I spent lots of time tweaking and listening on different devices. Mike
Replies 19 Views 498 Read More
Re: Music and the CLT AudioTrack 9 hours ago Forum: Off-Topic Jump to new postsJump to new posts
I'm no expert, but I understand that pianos are tuned slightly sharper than normal pitch at the higher octaves (with each note interval per octave representing the 12th root of two - the semitone interval), and this is deliberate, because the human ear hears 'flatter' at higher frequencies. Certainly my Yamaha Concert Grand is tuned this way. In this case, it relates to the human ear perception of 'what is in tune', I think I read somewhere that the 88th note on a piano is approximately a semitone sharper.
Re: time signatures 1/1, 2/2, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/8, 7/4, 8/8, 9/8, 10/4, 11/2, 12/8, 13/16 & 14/8 exposed AudioTrack 9 hours ago Forum: Best of YouTube Jump to new postsJump to new posts
The 'cheat sheet' is great, but I think that currently BIAB handles anything with more than 4 quarter beats in the bar as two (or more) bars. So 5/4 is represented as a bar of 3/4 and a bar of 2/4, etc. Not really 5/4, especially notation-wise. Those timings also currently affect the 255 bar limit. But please feel free to comment if I haven't stated the above correctly.
Replies 3 Views 82 Read More
Re: Does this exist: standalone program to regularize tempo? Matt Finley 10 hours ago Forum: Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production Jump to new postsJump to new posts
Thanks to all. IÔÇÖm busy with concerts and will need some time to experiment with these suggestions. Really appreciate the help.
Page 1 of 87 1 2 3 86 87
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

XPro & Xtra Styles Sets On Sale Until July 31st!

Save up-to 40% when you purchase XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs before July 31, 2024!

The most recent XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2023 or higher include additional Styles for Band-in-a-Box® that work seamlessly with your project. We offer XPro Styles PAKs that work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® package, and Xtra Styles PAKs for UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile users!

We recently released a combined total of 300 new Styles in XPro Styles PAK 6 and Xtra Styles PAK 17!

Each PAK can be purchased for $29: Order XPro Styles PAKs | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

The 100 new styles added with XPro Styles PAK 6 include 25 Rock & Pop, 25 Jazz, 25 Country, and 25 Progressive Rock! These add styles like funky soul jazz, uplifting pop-rock, 12-8 country ballads, hard and heavy progressive rock, '70s funk, dubby reggae jams, driving country rock, synth-heavy prog rock, and many more! Video: XPro Styles PAK 6 Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 17 adds 200 new styles to any Band-in-a-Box 2023 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile installation! You'll find 50 each for Rock & Pop, Jazz, and Country. What about the remaining 50? We've added them with a new category: World 1! In Xtra Styles PAK 17, you'll find styles like: laid-back pop country, mellow smooth jazz, '80s new wave, Caribbean reggae, '90s alternative pop, modern jazz fusion, funky Texas blues, Afro-Cuban grooves, and even mariachi-infused Motown... and more! Video: Xtra Styles PAK 14 Demos

Mac User? Click here for your announcement.

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,354
Posts743,545
Members38,751
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Skeuo, KaiPi, Dave Linehan, Krsna, JoshuaPolak
38,751 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 125