Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I'm glad to see your remarks about the BA-330, I'm seriously considering getting one. I left a message in the general message forum I guess I should have searched first. Duh..

Dell Studio 16 Laptop i7 with 256 gig SSD
BIAB, Reaper, Encore, Sibelius
Roland SD-50
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Bose L-1 has Stereo inputs, but they are indeed summed to mono and run through the single channel power amps to one set of speakers.

Those who want true Stereo would have to incorporate 2 Bose L-1 systems to get it. This is indeed an expensive proposition, but does sound very nice.

Yes, it would be less expensive to go with a more standardized type of setup to yield rue stereo onstage, stereo output mixer with stereo power amp and dual speaker system.

That said, many people are quite happy with a single L-1 or L-1 Compact Bose system, trading off the difference of no Stereo output for the ease of obtaining great sound, no need for a monitoring system and portability that is next to none.

--Mac

Apprentice
Apprentice
I have 2 Bose 802 speakers and stands and a Yamaha EMX 5014C Stereo 500W/channel Powered mixer. I also have two 1-15/horn Kustom cabinets for larger venues. I use BIAB from computer (earphone jack)for the flexibility and it serves me well... I was using the Coyote WT softsynth until last week when I downloaded the 30-day trial of Coyote Forte DXi...man what a difference! I will pay the $40...

I have never liked the sound of BIAB Bass through the mixer...or for that matter my electric Bass through the mixer. I prefer taking my bass amp to the gig. All that to ask how to route the BIAB Bass through the Bass Amp? The amp is already on the gig anyway. I play Trumpet, Bass, functional Keys and Sing in a duo (not at the same time, Ha!) I am thinking that would help the difference in sound when I put the bass down to play trumpet, etc...the Bose sound great and produce wonderful bass but there is a noticable difference when I play through my amp,

I have played with a couple of different "Rock" type groups using the Bose towers and thought they were awfully expensive for the performance...lots of feedback at higher volumes. I think they were a bad choice for those groups. Probably great for a single or duo in a smaller room or restaurant (ambiance) setting.

Sorry for the rambling post...I will do better next time!;)

Ken

Blessings!
Ken Hicks
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mixers and sound systems are designed to accurately produce the signal that is applied. Bass/guitar amps are designed to add signal strength through a pre amp and make it sound like a bass or guitar. You are comparing apples and oranges.

BIAB should sound great via computer plugged into studio monitors or a good PA. If it doesn't sound good something is wrong with the PA or you have a poor sound card. My goal is to have my PA sound as good as my studio monitors and it does. I use a Samson 500 watt all in one stereo rig that weighs 50 pounds for everything (mixer/amp plus 2 cabinets). This PA will run everything unless you are playing a really large venue. I would not hesitate to play my bass through this rig - it has more power than my bass amp. For good guitar sound you would need a guitar pre/effectrs pedal. Think of the PA as your studio monitor - designed for power and greater coverage.

Try your existing rig with some modern PA speakers and you will be pleasantly surprized. I suspect that Bose doesn't match up well (impedaqnce full range flat response etc) with the Yamaha. I also own the Yamaha 500 watt system and it sounds great through good speakers. If this doesn't work get a decent sound card.

We quit caryuing the PC years ago and mix everything down to a MP3 player that fits in my shirt pocket. The sound is as good or better than the headphone out of your PC.

Visit our web site:
su4u.net
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have only done a couple of gigs (as I am just an amateur musician, LOL) but I own a Bose L1 II w/T1 ToneMatch, (and I have tried a Compact once which was also very nice... [btw, the Model I has been discontinued as far as I know... and has a Big and heavy base unit... and doesn't work well with a T1).

I use a regular run-of-the-mill SONY laptop which is more than sufficient for my BIAB 2011. I don't need to use my usual TASCAM Audio Interface that I use when I use my Desktop PC, because the ToneMatch also has a built-in USB Interface... I also use the KETRON SD2 Midi Synthezier to convert those nice midi tracks into excellent, realistic sounds...

What I like most about using this setup (i.e. BIAB w/notebook) on stage is the ability to read the notes (I play Jazz guitar... mostly solos and some guitar comp sections, and BIAB plays everything else...) is:

1. I just can't memorize all the notes to resort to using the mp3 versions... I need to read the notes on the go...

2. Making mp3 renditions is quite tedious/cumbersome when using the KETRON box as I will have to use the Realband and record each instrument on a separate track, one at a time, in real time... This takes way too much time when preparing for a whole playlist for a gigset...

My only issue is VOLUME!

What I mean is, for some reason the volume can vary from song to song, and so far I haven't been able to figure out a good way to notmalize this... I either make a note about the volume level adjustments, or have a friend/soundman adjust the volume while I play...

With the T1, I only use 2 inputs: 1) The Sound coming from the PC via USB, and 2) the KETRON (I use a USB midi cable that goes to my KETRON and use RCA cables to bring the sound into the T1 for all the midi tracks).

Sometimes, I plug my guitar directly into the T1... but mostly I prefer my small Fender amp...

One final comment about the lack of Stereo sound from the BOSE L1 systems... just remember that on stage every instrument is MONO... you have a guitar player with an amp, a base player with its own amp, etc.... for the audience they "see" the sound from each player coming from a single source... So if the Bose system is used properly, i.e. each performer has his/her own bose unit... it should be no problem... In a one-man-show, I find the Bose also fabulous, can't tell the difference. People love the sound, and most importantly, in small rooms, I don't have to crank up the volume too high as people in the front and the back all hear the same thing...

2008 Gibson ES-339 Custom & 2010 Les Paul Traditional. Fender SCXD Amp
BIAB/RB 2015 UltraPAK + Ketron SD2
Windows 7/64 Intel i5 3550 PC, Tascam USB144MKII
Behringer X1204 Mixer
Bose Companion 3 and/or L1 II w/T1 + SM58 MIC
Apprentice
Apprentice
To each his own but I really prefer BIAB tracks in stereo. With good panning of instruments it makes a huge diference - to me. To a large exttent I play for personal enjoyment and I have never heard a great sounding mono piano. As a guitar player I can sit in the middle of the mix. all tracks are panned to some degree except bass. Live real musicians create a stereo mix by the placement of their instruments on a stage. Even a mono instrument like guitar sounds best recorded and played back in stereo due to accoustic environment it is played in and the sound of room.

Visit our web site:
su4u.net
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I agree about loving the Stereo Piano sound myself, but I have also tried it both ways onstage and found out that the audience doesn't really notice any difference, only I do. Of course, there is good reason to satisfy yourself on the gigs as well. Just pointing out something interesting I've discovered using BiaB live over the years.

I also tried using different MIDI synth solutions as well and found much the same from my audiences, even at one point trying to poll some of my known good musician friends as to what they thought about the MIDI sounds on my gigs -- and the answers were all over the place, no way to pinpoint any single synth. I came to the conclusion that a lot of this type of thing must be truly subjective. One fellow whom I used to play with in a quartet and has pretty good ears told me that he didn't like the sound of the VSC DXi but preferred the sound of a much older set of samples that came out of an old Roland SC-55 hardware soundcanvas. I then set BB to use the VSC DXi but left a MIDI connect from keyboard Thru to the SC-55 so he could see its blinking as I played the next song. He thought he was hearing the hardware synth he saw blinking and not the software synth and thus was certain it sounded better to him. I didn't tell him, just chalked it up to the learning experience for myself (grin).

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

... All that to ask how to route the BIAB Bass through the Bass Amp?

Hi Ken,

User silvertones has accomplished much by using a multi-channel output soundcard and playing his BiaB songs back using RealBand live onstage rather than BiaB, because BiaB can only address one stereo output channel at a time. In RealBand, he can route each track to a different set of audio outputs on the multichannel card, thus a Bass track could be routed to a different amp. The level of complexity for use on a live gig goes up eponentially, but silvertones has proven success with the method.

Another way, that wouldn't require purchase, setup and shakedown of the multichannel sound device nor having to switch to RealBand on the gig would be to pick up an Electronic Crossover and place it between the BiaB earphone jack (which is really identical to an unbalanced Line Output in voltage, etc.) and your amplifiers.

Set the crossover to be a simple Low Pass on the side which you will route to your Bass amp, with the other side, which would contain all the rest of the music, routed to your mixer.

You would, of course, have to experiment with the Crossover settings, the Low Pass frequency point being critical here, and you would likely also have to put up with any "stray" kick drum hits which might be below that Crossover point and thus come out of the Bass amp as well. This may not be a kill, hoever and might be desirable in certain contexts or genres.

Now comes the part that you probably won't want to hear:

*If the BB songs are mixed properly, they should play back very well indeed through the PA system as-is.

*Problems may be due to the mixing inside BB, may be due to Gain Staging (using the soundcard on the laptop and BB, I always make sure that the sound device's Control Panel mixer applet has all outputs that BB uses TURNED ALL THE WAY UP when playihg live or mixing, using only the gain faders on the live amplifier to set the level. This is because an audio Line input loves to be driven, hard, but doing the opposite, attempting to "suck" gain at the mixer side, will result in a louder but "thinner" sound.

--Mac

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Mac is totally right about stereo on a live gig. Imagine the distance of an audience from the performer,(usually at least 8 metres)depending on the distance which seperates the left & right speakers & the extent of stereo used at the mixing desk most of the stereo information is gone anyway (therefore useless). Most FOH mixers try to keep the mix as mono as possible to eliminate any phase problems of the hall & like I said (in this case) stereo is useless. I am of course only talking about a live gig here, recordings are obviously stereo. Listen to Mac, stereo means next to nothing for the audience & is just a musicians indulgence live

Last edited by bupper; 04/23/11 11:55 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,644
Posts735,402
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.