Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi,

I was wondering how suspended chords should be notated in Biab. I've been experimenting with the chord builder and here are my assumptions:

1. C2 is C D G in Biab (should be called Csus2)

2. C4 is C F G Bb in Biab (should be called C7sus4)
C7sus is C F G Bb in Biab (should also be called C7sus4)
C7susb5 is C F G Bb in Biab (should also be called C7sus4)
C7susb9 is C F G Bb in Biab (should also be called C7sus4)
C9sus is C F G Bb in Biab (should also be called C7sus4)
C9susb5 is C F G Bb in Biab (should also be called C7sus4)

3. Csus is C F G in Biab (should be called Csus4)

4. I cannot enter the chord C7sus2 (C D G Bb) in Biab

5. C7alt is Db E G Bb in Biab?

6. C5b is C E Ab in Biab?

7. Does anybody know how C G A is called in music theory?

Am I correct? Someone else who can give this a thought? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Superbron

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
www.soundclick.com/superbron
Expert
Expert
--- Guess you mean : C E Gb, not Ab.

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
There are other problems here, but let me first take perhaps the most problematic of these, #5.

A C7alt means that neither the fifth (G) nor the ninth (D) appears unaltered. So, it could be a flat five (Gb), a sharp five (G#), a flat nine (Db) and/or a sharp nine (D#). You would have a C root. You would also have, as you mentioned, the minor seventh (Bb). There would be no G, but there could be a Db. And it's not a suspended chord.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Superbron, there are a few guesses and assumptions going on in your list.

I would suggest a good book on Music Theory that goes into the methodology of the Fake Chord naming convention. There are likely some free online tutorials for the web-searching, as well.

Not going to address them all, but:

Quote:

4. I cannot enter the chord C7sus2 (C D G Bb) in Biab

BB doesn't support all possible chords yet. If it isn't in the chordlist, then we have to use a substitute that will sound okay but not notate correctly. Gm/C would be one of those subs that would yield the same notes in most style files.

Quote:

5. C7alt is Db E G Bb in Biab?

Could be. The "Alt" chord is a situation of choice. Alt means that we can rather freely substitute the b5, #5 and b9, #9 in the chord, with taste as to the Melody or other considerations, of course. BiaB may play the b9 as you list here, but other times or other style picks may play one -- or more -- of the other possibilities along with the base triad. For example, it might play C7#5b9, equally acceptable. With this specific chord, it is truly a jazz thing.

Quote:

"Cb5" would spell the flat five chord of C, E, Gb -- but C5 is the Powerchord, the two-noter so loved by rock guitarists, the C and the G together. C5b doesn't ring a bell with me at the moment. If you have it on a chart, it might be an attempt to notate the Tritone, C and Gb, played together as two notes. This one would not likely be of value in the key of C, though for the C and Gb together are the tritone D7 or the tritone of Ab7 and is interchangeable in those two keys.

Quote:

7. Does anybody know how C G A is called in music theory?

Well, it may depend upon context, but if confronted with it standalone like this, I'd have to call it a "C5add6" -- whoch would be thoroughly confusing to the reader. Depending upon keysig, this one might really be a skeletal Am7, or you might, in a weird sort fo way, call it a C5add13, which is the same as saying add6, same note, A, but indicates playing it outside the octave, away from the G, to avoid the G-A side-by-side thing.

A good book on the subject is recommended here. Trying to figure out the theory by studying the BiaB program will only get you so far -- and is likely to lead to errors. The real way to figure out the naming and its convention is to simply know the scales, the major and minor scales. The numbers are derived from the scales and it is then only a matter of knowing which step of the scale is the name for the key you are in. Knowing this stuff will also improve your playing skills, so no loss there at all.

Everyon I know who has avoided getting into this subject and then finally "bites the bullet" says the same thing after only a week or two dealing with it, "This is easier than I thought it would be!"

And it is.

--Mac

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

--- Guess you mean : C E Gb, not Ab.

Biab only plays the notes C E Ab, it wonders me too, because I expected C Gb or C E Gb as well, because of the 5b.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

There are other problems here, but let me first take perhaps the most problematic of these, #5.

A C7alt means that neither the fifth (G) nor the ninth (D) appears unaltered. So, it could be a flat five (Gb), a sharp five (G#), a flat nine (Db) and/or a sharp nine (D#). You would have a C root. You would also have, as you mentioned, the minor seventh (Bb). There would be no G, but there could be a Db. And it's not a suspended chord.

Ok, thanks: this is a strange chord indeed. In Biab the notes that are played when I enter C7alt are: C E G Bb and Db. Strange though that C and Db don't seem to clash, while they only have a half tone interval.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mac,

Thanks for your time and answers.

#4: Gm/C is the best sub I guess. thanks!

#5: In Biab the notes that are played when I enter C7alt are: C E G Bb and Db. Strange though that C and Db don't seem to clash, while they only have a half tone interval.

#6: C and Gb (F#) is rather clashing, so I was amazed about the presence of this chord (?) in Biab and even more amazed that Biab is playing the notes C E Ab,whilst I expected C Gb or C E Gb.

#7: C5add6 or Csus6 are no excepted input for Biab :-(

I am studying chords, scales and progressions at the moment, hence my questions here. The rather normal chords such as C, Cmin, Cdim, C7, Cmaj7, etc. aren't the problem: theory and Biab are consonant there :-), but it's the more 'jazzy' and less used chords that are causing some clashes between theory and Biab for me.

Cheers,

Superbron

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

#5: In Biab the notes that are played when I enter C7alt are: C E G Bb and Db. Strange though that C and Db don't seem to clash, while they only have a half tone interval.
Superbron

That's a bit odd, with the G, but it's possible, especially if you look at the chords before and after, or if it's a passing tone.

About the dissonance of two tones a half-step apart, you are already used to a more melodious example, the Maj7 chord. CMaj7 has both a C and a B natural, and they sound fine together, even next to each other. For example, try voicing it on a piano like this, going up: B, C, E, G. It should sound fine, partially because we are used to that sound in Western music. Contemporary jazz players have similarly become used to the sound of altered chords, and find no dissonance. Plus, it's a whole lot of fun to play over because there are so many things you can play on it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

#7: Does anybody know how C G A is called in music theory?

I came up with C5/A, although Biab accepts this chord it doesn't play an A as bass note. The only notes played are C and G of the C5 :-(

Last edited by Superbron; 03/25/10 04:11 AM.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

About the dissonance of two tones a half-step apart, you are already used to a more melodious example, the Maj7 chord. CMaj7 has both a C and a B natural, and they sound fine together, even next to each other. For example, try voicing it on a piano like this, going up: B, C, E, G. It should sound fine, partially because we are used to that sound in Western music.

Thanks Matt, I only realize this now :-) Should this be due to the fact that the half tone interval is next to the root note? Are there other chords with half tone intervals that don't clash?

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Superbron.

I just tried C5b. The notes it played for me were C-E-Ab as well. Strange. I think you have stumbled onto a bug. C-E-Ab would be either Caug or possibly Cadd(b13).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

I just tried C5b. The notes it played for me were C-E-Ab as well. Strange. I think you have stumbled onto a bug. C-E-Ab would be either Caug or possibly Cadd(b13).

Hi Noel,

Glad I'm not the only one. Did you try the other chords I mentioned as well?

Cheers,

Superbron

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

About the dissonance of two tones a half-step apart, you are already used to a more melodious example, the Maj7 chord. CMaj7 has both a C and a B natural, and they sound fine together, even next to each other. For example, try voicing it on a piano like this, going up: B, C, E, G. It should sound fine, partially because we are used to that sound in Western music.

Thanks Matt, I only realize this now :-) Should this be due to the fact that the half tone interval is next to the root note? Are there other chords with half tone intervals that don't clash?

Plenty. The variants of Maj7, such as Maj9 and Maj13.

The placement of the tones has no bearing. I just gave you one inversion of the chord.

For another example, a 13 chord has both the 13 (an octave above the sixth) and the minor seventh, so that yields a half-step 'clash'. Same for a #9 chord, with a half-step between the major third and the sharp nine (again, an octave apart).

But 'clash' is in the ear of the beholder (behearer?). I don't hear a 'clash' in any of those chords. Others might, but I hear an opportunity.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

But 'clash' is in the ear of the beholder (behearer?). I don't hear a 'clash' in any of those chords. Others might, but I hear an opportunity.

I guess that must be the case. Thanks Matt.

Anyone who has some ideas on the suspended chords?

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Anyone who has some ideas on the suspended chords?

I guess not...

R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hi Mac,
One of the simple quips I came up with to dispell the fear of music theory to my students is, "If you can count to 7 you may not make a rocket scientist... but you can make a rock star!"

I do have one question I would like your opinion on. You make mention of the 13th chord in your example. I have been told as a guitar player being the 13th chord contains all the notes in the scale to play the 1st, 3rd and which ever ones that are within comfort to reach as sufficient. I know you are a jazz player. Would you say that was good advice?

Thanks,
RickeG

Veteran
Veteran
RickeG, I'm not Mac, but then again, he didn't use a 13th chord in his post. So, not sure who you are asking.

A 13th chord does not contain "all the notes in the scale".

C13 for example has, going up from C root: C E G Bb D and A

You don't have to play all of them. In fact, a guitarist would often leave out the root if there is a bass playing it. A guitarist can tell you better.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I do have one question I would like your opinion on. You make mention of the 13th chord in your example. I have been told as a guitar player being the 13th chord contains all the notes in the scale to play the 1st, 3rd and which ever ones that are within comfort to reach as sufficient. I know you are a jazz player. Would you say that was good advice?

Thanks,
RickeG

That's about the size of it for the guitarist, Ricke.

When I want the guitar to sound like the full, rich 13 chord, like when there is no keyboardist grabbing it (when there's a B3 player, just play a 6 and stand back *grin*) then I usually grab the following pattern:

Let's say it is a G13.

3,X,3,4,5,5

For the G(1),X,F(7),B(3),E(13) and A(9)

I've also been guilty of just grabbing a 6/9, too, or even just the dom7 if that full-fisted keyboardist is gonna do what most do when they see the big 13.

As you know, with the guitar, we stack the notes according to the "grab" or according to what's possibole and the guitar player must have a slightly different way of looking at the chords in order to get the job accomplished.

The one interval I will drop (not play) almost automatically is the fifth. Unless the song calls for the powerchord, I don't like to play the fifth as part of the chord on the guitar too much, especially not on the lower bout, for it will create that big, thick, juicy "resultant" when played alongside the root. The Resultant is a ghost note generated by the two together, that is one octave lower than the root at one half amplitude. When there are extensions on the chord, it can often be a recipe for mud city.

--Mac

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Hi Ricke and others,

I'm a piano player and start with the basic voicings described in Dan Haerle's book of jazz piano voicings:

One handed voicings for left hand starting from the bottom up:

E A Bb D (that gets you the third, the 13th, the seventh and the 9th all with one hand!)

and inverted starting at the 7th:

Bb D E A

these may be simplified as follows:

E Bb D for a basic 9th chord

and

Bb E A for a three note 13th

These voicings go together with related minor and major chords in basic ii V I progressions and for the tri-tone substitutions that you hear all over jazz recordings. Haerle's book is a great suggestion if you're looking for how to voice chords that you find in fake book charts. Another good suggestion is the Mike Tracy book on piano voicings for non-Keyboardists which extends the voicings above into two handed forms.

Thanks,
Bill

R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Thanks Mac, It’s funny you mention the 6/9. Because that is in the vain I use to cover my tracks and hope that none of the soloists object. It has the soft tones as well as can resolve to the 1 as a regular 13th would. I want to find myself being able to hold my own in a trio setting for some odd reason there would not be a pianist around (should that ever be). In fact, I am going to look at Billy’s two suggestions as to what to play in a fake book setting. I have a couple of the jazz fake books. Though I can find the chords charted I would like to be able to learn how others have handled the movements to where your hand is not jumping the neck as a live chicken on a hot frying pan.

That is where I have been enjoying the BIAB songs. Now that I understand a little about these chord structures I am wanting to learn how to move from one to the other in the context of a song.

Thanks all for always being willing to lend your expertise and most of all for you patience as I am trying to really enjoy this genre while in keeping with its true nature.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173