Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Does anyone know an optimal (or any) way to develop some vibrato in one's voice, or is it just in the genes? Any excellent documentation you'd recommend regarding how to get there? This may be a silly question but I'd love to know!!

Thanks,
cchallum

Veteran
Veteran
If you have an otherwise good singing voice, vibrato can be learned. You might seek out a choir leader in a church or school or a local voice instructor. And although I can't recommend any in particular, there are CD and DVD courses that teach vocal technique.

From all of the above choices, you can probably spend as much or as little as you want. But you WILL learn vibrato.

Stage fright worked fine for me, though. *g*

HTH,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
C
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Richard,

Thanks....I glad to know that vibrato CAN definitely be achieved. I'm planning to definitely do it.

Thanks again for your comments,
cchallum

Expert
Expert
Hi cchallum,
You could of course fake it Just to "git er done."

This only works if you are NOT playing live.

Just grab the loose skin on your throat and give it a wiggle at the appropriate moment/s

It works.

Regards
Michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
To be on the safe side, let's start with a definition of the term.

Vibrato is actually a very slight change of pitch or frequency, centered on the target note but moving ever so lightly sharp and then flat of it repetitively.

The speed in which you perform this slight pitch change is also a part of the thing.

Sometimes the song calls for a slower vibrato, other times a faster one. Sometimes there are cases where you might use a different speed vibratos for different parts of the same song, too. For example, a long duration whole note, it might be more apropos to start with a slower speed vibrato that gets a bit faster as you hold the note. Or vise verse.

If you already know the above, please forgive the elementary explanation. But if you by chance do not, it will be worth it.

Some folks will mistake Tremelo for Vibrato as well. Two different terms, two different ways of modulating the voice (or the wind instrument for that matter).

Vibrato is that small change in the pitch as described.

Tremelo is a change of amplitude (or loudness, if you will) and can also have differing speeds as "called for" by the job at hand.

To start learning to sing the Vibrato, try matching a long held note with your voice and then try slowly changing the pitch around that pitch center, going upwards above the note slightly first, then crossing back over the note to slightly below that note, back up, back down, etc. not trying for the faster vibrato at first, but trying for the equal amount of pitch shifting sharp then flat, sharp then flat, etc. Good thing to exagerate the pitch shift a bit at first, as you work on this just a short ten minute session twice a day, after a certain unspecified number of days you should find that you are able to narrow the amount of picth shift a bit, and so on.

Important to always take a breath, fill the lungs, and then use the diaphragmatic muscles to expell air over the vocal cords to get sound. Don't ever try to sing by "pinching" the throat. Throat stays relaxed, within reason, of course, there must be some tension there, but the power comes from the moving air, not constricing the throat to create higher air velocity.

Lastly, it is important to decide WHEN it is appropriate to use vibrato in singing - and when it is not. Different genres demand different styles. For example, it is sometimes not needed, or at least not explicit, as in, say, certain jazz and pop genres.

--Mac

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey Mac,
Is there anything that you don't know? I'm amazed at that explaination. Best I've ever heard. That even helped an old gezer like me.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quite a few years ago now, I had one teacher who made a great impression on me.

That man got it through my thick skull that one should TEACH IN ORDER TO LEARN.

Things that I could do intuitively, he made me have to put them into words and instruct others.

One time, he told me that the ability to EXPOUND freely on a subject requires us to really know and understand the subject.

He used to have his Graduate Students explain rather complex phenomena in laymen's terms - to the janitor. And he told them that unless the janitor grasped the concept when they were done explaining, they didn't know the subject well enough yet.

That, and he also taught me what the word, "love" can really mean in the sense that he was always telling us that one has to LOVE THE STUDENT and nurture.

That old bromide that "those who don't know, teach" only refers to the number of bad teachers in this world, man.

Whatever thing(s) you know, be prepared to "pass it on" for YOU will be the true benefactor from doing that.

--Mac

Journeyman
Journeyman

"Important to always take a breath, fill the lungs, and then use the diaphragmatic muscles to expell air over the vocal cords to get sound. Don't ever try to sing by "pinching" the throat. Throat stays relaxed, within reason, of course, there must be some tension there, but the power comes from the moving air, not constricing the throat to create higher air velocity.

Lastly, it is important to decide WHEN it is appropriate to use vibrato in singing - and when it is not. Different genres demand different styles. For example, it is sometimes not needed, or at least not explicit, as in, say, certain jazz and pop genres. "

Hi, All of Mac's advice is important....especially, I feel, regarding breath control. Often in the recording studio, we can be asked for "More vib"..."Less Vib".....so you definitely can learn to control vib in the voice....as you can in other instruments. Practising the excersises that Mac suggested, you'll soon find a noticeable improvement....then, it's deciding WHERE to use it! Best of luck. Joe G.

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Sinatra was the best at holding a long note and then letting a beautiful vibrato end it.He apparently learned this when he was a singer in the Benny Goodman orchestra and listening to certain instruments like the trumpet etc.

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi

This is the biggest difference between emulations and real instruments mostly in Brass and woodwind after about six years with a WX5 i still have not mastered it if you ever can for it to sound natural

regards Dave

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
The janitor theory is an interesting one, but I've met a bunch that were way smarter than most folks, and especially smarter than me. I like the idea of learning by teaching. In my limited forays into teaching I have learned much, not only about the target subject but all kinds of other stuff. Makes it more fun. I never liked teachers that had big egos and were a bit full of themselves. Anyway, good advice Mac and I too am amazed at your broad range of knowledge on various topics. I'm always ready to read and follow your advice.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

Sinatra was the best at holding a long note and then letting a beautiful vibrato end it.

That kind of control is exquisite and difficult to attain. I know many solid professional singers with years of career who never attain that kind of beautiful subtle drift into vibrato.

Veteran
Veteran
There's a lot of info on singing technique on the web. If you go to YAHOO for example (or any search engine) and enter +vocal +vibrato without quotes, you'll get many hits on articles about singing technique and vibrato.

C
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Once Again,

Thanks so very much to each of you for your suggestions. I read them with great care and I'm so glad I asked. This has got to be one of the most effective forums that exists. I'm already into doing exactly what Mac suggested and have paid particular attention to the other suggestions as well.

I greatly appreciate each of you,
cchallum

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,745
Posts736,884
Members38,562
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator
38,562 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187