Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#98072 12/18/10 05:04 PM
Off-Topic
kelso Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
As you can see by my specs, I have a pretty lame computer for anything audio. I'm maxed out at 1 GB ram with a single core CPU. I have a 1 TB external drive. While it runs great, and I know it well, I want to consider a new one and be sure it will handle my audio needs and serve me well for some years.

I'm asking here for a little advice on selecting my next PC. Please respond to any of these or other issues as you feel competent. Or reference other relevant forum threads.

I want a desktop, let's talk box only, W7. I'm just a music hobbyist using mostly Band in a Box and Sonar X1, with no other computer applications requiring extraordinary performance. Please do not tell me to just get "all the computer I can afford". And I hope I don't need to get a custom built. Let's say say $800 max neighborhood.

My audio interface is a E-MU 1616 PCI, so I need a box with at least one PCI slot, or dump the 1616. I see many manufacturers today do not offer PCI slots.

My impression is, (and feel free to comment):

1. W7 Pro is more friendly to XP programs than Home Premium. That is of interest to me if it works well and seamlessly.

2. AMD CPU have comparable performance, features, and reliability vs. Intel, i.e., no reason to shy away from AMD.

3. Dual core CPU is virtually required, and, while a quad core may faster, not give the bang for the buck. So my inclination is for dual-core.

Any special considerations for HD, video card, USB3, expandability brands to embrace or avoid?

What else?

Thanks for any help.

kelso

Dell Desktop XPS 8100 W10 HomePrem/64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB SATA / ViewSonic VG2428wm / EMU1616 PCI / Event ASP6 Active Monitors / BIAB 2019 64 bit (609) / Cakewalk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Recently got an eMachines dualcore with 4 gig RAM for the wife. Has a couple PCI slots and 6 USB ports. Seems pretty robust. Cost about $450

AMD is fine.
I haven't heard issues of win7 home not running older programs.
I actually installed a pre-XP graphic program the wife likes on the system with no problems.

* I assume in your specs above the processor is 2.4 gHz, not 2.4 mHz .. which isn't a bad processor, how can it be limited to 1 gig ram?

Last edited by rharv; 12/19/10 06:35 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
rharv,

Quote:

I haven't heard issues of win7 home not running older programs.

It'll run the vast majority of programs just fine by installing them into Program Files(x86) folder, but there are some exceptions.

Sonar 4 PE won't run on Win 7 64, so I had to install it on my XP 32 drive. What's weird is that Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL will run on Win 7.

My main database program was ACT! 2008, and it won't run on Win 7. That really sucks because that's about a $500 program, and Win7 is my main OS. so I have to boot into XP 32 to use it.

Also my Roland SI-24 Studio Interface w/ RPC-1 PCI card won't run.

I do prefer Win 7 64 over XP 32 by a lagre margin. Much better OS.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I suppose you've already tried compatibility mode for each of those?
I would think the database would work that way. Maybe not.

Cool solution though, just boot over to the OS it works in. Get 'er done.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My main advice on a new computer is that I wouldn't even consider getting one that didn't have any extra expansion slots on the MOBO.

It will probably bite you in the ass at some point if you do.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rharv,

Quote:

I suppose you've already tried compatibility mode for each of those?

Yep.

Quote:

I would think the database would work that way.

Nope.

Quote:

Cool solution though, just boot over to the OS it works in. Get 'er done.

Yep.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Bob -

If you have Win7 Pro (versus home), you can download the XP-Mode for free (which is a full virtual 32-bit XP environment within Windows 7 64-bit). You might find that ACT! runs fine there; of course, it may cost you an anytime upgrade from Home to Pro, but that's a lot less than $500.

XP-Mode provides the full virtual environment, but it also gives you direct access (from Win7) to the applications installed in it. So you can have a shortcut on your desktop to ACT! and it will load just like any other program, but under the hood, it's really running in the XP virtual environment. That will preclude having to either dual boot or run XP from another machine.

Just a thought.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Thanks for the tip, but I've got Win 7 Home. I was able to export my contacts from ACT! into Outlook, but I'm not a fan of Outlook. I guess I'll just have to get used to using Outlook, especially since I don't have any more installs left on my ACT! license. It was like pulling teeth to get them to register my last installation.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

It was like pulling teeth to get them to register my last installation.

$500, plus doesn't work with Windows 7, plus hard to register it after purchase (basically making you feel the pain for the others that might be trying to rip them off), makes it sound like a program that needs to go away anyway.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Quote:

$500, plus doesn't work with Windows 7, plus hard to register it after purchase (basically making you feel the pain for the others that might be trying to rip them off), makes it sound like a program that needs to go away anyway.

The company itself isn't user friendly by any stretch of the imagination, but the program itself is probably the best and most intuitive and complete data base managers on the market. It's not for personal use, but for folks in sales and maketing that have large databases. I have about a thousand contacts in mine.

But I'll probably never be buying it again.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

I'm just a music hobbyist using mostly Band in a Box and Sonar X1, with no other computer applications requiring extraordinary performance

Why is it you're upgrading? You mean to say the way you are working your computer isn't keeping up? Is it chocking? Or do you really just want something new?

If you're gonna request this-

Quote:

I want to consider a new one and be sure it will handle my audio needs and serve me well for some years.

Then don't slap us with this-

Quote:

Please do not tell me to just get "all the computer I can afford".

If you're gonna spend 800, then spend a little more on something like these-

http://www.studiocat.com/2/index.php/Project_Studio

http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/towerle.php

Keep your other computing needs on other computers and keep your audio separate on these- although I do prefer to have my studio pc's online for software upgrades and registrations.

Either of those choices will last you for years, given what you've said about yourself. Myself, I'd go with the Studiocat built computer. I hear nothing but praise about the product. The Sweetwater Creation-station would serve you well too. For audio, what I wouldn't do is buy a consumer pc off the shelf. At least, I wouldn't if I was into audio and wanted things to work together and last for the long haul.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Dan

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When picking a new computer I'd suggest that you be careful of security cameras.

It was easier in the old days go to the store with two bucks and come back with 2 packs of smokes, milk, bread, candy bars, some chips, half a dozen 45's, some ammo for the 22 and a 6 pack of coke.

Can't do that these days. Too darn many security cameras.

If it were me I'd go with the thing you suggested, all the computer you can afford that has the features you want, but you said not to tell you that so I won't.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
kelso Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Dan -

Quote:

Why is it you're upgrading? You mean to say the way you are working your computer isn't keeping up? Is it chocking? Or do you really just want something new?

My computer is 8 years old. I can do everything I need with it except handle much audio. It chokes with RT. After stuttering a bit, it will play through if I don't move the mouse. Same in Sonar, especially with plugs. It will struggle with some of my tunes, but when I load in a Sonar "sample" file it just grinds to a halt. And that's just the play back. The operating experience is not smooth.

Quote:

If you're gonna request this-

---
Quote:

Then don't slap us with this-

It's way too easy to just say "Buy all the computer you can afford". Even I can give that advice. I'm looking for discerning advice - balancing my needs with available systems. And pros/cons of various CPUs. I can afford a $20000 computer, but I won't pay that just to be sure I can handle a great Real Band chorus.

As for the last part of your post, thanks for the discerning advice.

kelso

Dell Desktop XPS 8100 W10 HomePrem/64 / Core i5 760 (quad, 2.8GHz) / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB SATA / ViewSonic VG2428wm / EMU1616 PCI / Event ASP6 Active Monitors / BIAB 2019 64 bit (609) / Cakewalk
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
If that 1gb in your sig means ram, up that- max it out if it isn't already. Perhaps you can get another gig in there. I'm surprised to hear your pc is chocking with RT's. How many tracks does it take to start the problem? Plugins I can understand- that's where it can be taxing. But straight RT's shouldn't do that unless you have 20 or more tracks going. It sounds to me like you have a very low buffer rate set. Make sure in your sound card and your audio software that you have a higher buffer setting set. The only time you need a very low buffer setting is when you are recording and monitoring playback, or playing virtual instruments live with a midi keyboard. You want a low buffer setting so you have as little latency as possible. But just throwing up RT's and mixing should not be a problem. Your pc specs aren't THAT bad or old. Studdering and grinding to a hault points to low buffer settings. Raise them up incrementally until you have smooth playback. I'm not saying a new pc is a bad thing, but you should be getting more out of what you have already if things are set right.

Dan

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
This man builds high quality audio computers.

http://www.studiocat.com/2/index.php/Project_Studio

His name is Jim Roseberry. You can search him out on the Reaper site. He's highly regarded.

DTuna
Off-Topic
kelso Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the discussion, Dan. Yes, I'm maxed out at 1 GB ram.

Here's a clearer description of the audio problem. Sonar: 8 audio tracks, no problem. Add in plugins, problem. BIAB: RD, no prob. 2 inst RT, slight prob. 3 inst TR, definite prob. After it settles down, just moving the mouse in circle causes stuttering. 5 inst RT, same but worse. BIAB using about 85% of CPU (according to Process Explorer)

Can you explain a little about buffers? My EMU control software doesn't seem to address that (except for a special hardware effects application that I don't use.)

I've just discovered that my IRQs are not reporting properly. When I query XP, it shows no IRQs at all. When I check the BIOS, it shows them, and shows my audio interface with the same IRQ number as some other items. A little mysterious. I did to a clean reinstall of XP a year ago. That may have something to do with it. I know I had no conflicts prior to the reinstall. I think I will move the PCI card of the EMU1616 to a different slot to try to force a different IRQ. Any troubleshooting tips here welcomed.

kelso

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
kelso, if you are running XP, check to see if it hasn't reverted your hard drive to PIO mode instead of DMA.

If you are not sure what that means or how to check, do a websearch for "XP PIO DMA drive".

--Mac

Off-Topic
kelso Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mac - the DMA/PIO issue seems (as far as I can tell) to be associated with CDs and DVDs. "...The most frequent use why a CD or DVD port falls back to PIO mode is..." However I went ahead and fiddled with the registry as advised in one instruction. No help.

For the record, I also moved the EMU PCI card to several different empty slots with no change. All IRQs reported in the BIOS are unchanged, and I the Device Manager et al. still show no IRQ listings at all.

I's seriously considering the following desktop box. Way more than I need, price too good to pass up. Comments?

Dell Studio XPS 8100 / Core i5 760 / 8GB RAM / GeForce GTS240 1024 MB / 1 TB HD 7200 RPM / THX TruSound PC / my cost $810.

kelso

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That should run BIAB/RB OK.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quick method of setting DMA in XP-
http://www.real-knowledge.com/dma.htm

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,654
Posts735,479
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 175