Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
While rendering midi to wav I am getting very subtle but annoying timing errors on the MIDI portion. Some notes are pushed back slightly with respect to others. The softsynth works fine live, but seems to be screwing up only during a render. Realtrax sounds fine.

I'm playing four midi tracks (one for each string of a mandolin) through the forte dxi synth. All four MIDI tracks are displaying the same shifting at the same time, as if someone were trying to impose a slight erratic lilt to the melody.

I'll see if I can find some way to record live for now, but rendering is a great feature if I can get it to work properly.

Veteran
Veteran
Hmmm new one for me
Can you post an example? Have you tried freezing the tracks? Just in case it is re-generating something a little different.

System specs? (anything that may help; soundcard, processor, RAM, etc)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
I just listened to the whole song this time and the renderer starts dropping MIDI notes about 30 seconds in before dropping the rest of the MIDI tracks completely.

I had it split the tracks out individually and you can still definitely hear it.

I've never had a problem rendering before on this machine, so I am thinking it's something in BiaB 2011. 4Gib RAM, 2GHz. Dual-processor. One of the processors runs at 95% while rendering, but the other one stays relatively sleepy. Playing in real time puts no load on the system at all.

Do I need to freeze the MIDI track? It shouldn't be doing anything with those except playing what I tell it to through the soft synth... but maybe there is some lilt effect on the note timing? Why would it only show up during a render and not during normal playback?
--This is why I need to record the playback live as a workaround. I wanted to mail this version out today.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

Welcome to the forums.

Regarding recording it "live" ...

Go to Windows "Recording Properties" and select the option "What You Hear" or equivalent. With this selected, when you record the audio, the track created will be a recording of what's coming out of the speakers.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Ah thanks for that.

It's not dropping notes on the render any more. That might have been a one-off. I rebooted my machine to clear an any OS problems but the MIDI tracks are still wobbly on render. I estimate +/- 2o ms.

This shouldn't be an ASIO4ALL problem, right? That shouldn't even be used during a render.

Veteran
Veteran
I don't know why some people use Asio. Caused me nothing but 2 months of misery. After never going there again all was well. I can render, I can do midi I can play my keyboard, all with not a glitch.

But that's moi.

I certainly did the asio dance. I left that girl in the shed. Some girls you don't take to the barn.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,
Quote:

This shouldn't be an ASIO4ALL problem

I don't know if ASIO could be causing this but it's easy enough to test out.

Use Opt | SAve Preferences to save your present audio settings and then use Opt | Preferences | Audio to change ASIO to MME. It would be best to exit and restart BIAB to make sure these settings are loaded; some people even recommend rebooting the computer as this guarantees clearing the computer's memory. If after trying MME, the problem persists and you want to return to your previous settings, simply use Opt | Open Preferences to load your saved settings.

Like John Conley above, I have found ASIO an unpredicable dance partner. I keep ASIO4ALL installed so that it's there to use when I need it (usually recording vocals) but, if MME does the job for me, I always use MME. The MME driver is more Windows friendly.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I don't need to use ASIO however I've done some testing and it's been OK with BIAB however I don't think I'd trust it. Now on the other hand I do use ASIO with my IKMultimedia guitar interface & the Ampeg SVX modeling plugin and it's awesome. Never a glitch & it's set at 2 MS. I guess part of the lesson here is that it's probably best if a program and an interface were designed by the same company. If PG were to design & build and interface for their programs I'm sure it would work fine.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi John Vreeland, and welcome!

At this point the most relevant information needed to know here would be:

*What is your chosen MIDI DXi device with this problem?

*What is your OS?

*What soundcard or sound device?

This problem might be solved by going under the Options menu in BiaB and choosing, "Return to Factory Settings" picking the second button down there, which will re-invoke the MIDI/Audio setup wizard. Sometimes having the program re-address these two critical assignments can clear up any corruptions or the like.

Of course, there can be other causes of the problem as well, make sure that you have visited the Support page and have downloaded and installed the latest UPDATE PATCH for your version of the program as there are often problems such as this one that have been addressed and fixed with the patches.

--Mac

J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Reset all prefs to factory. No change.

Version is BiaB 2011 build 313

I'm using the HD Audio on my MSI motherboard. Not sure what the audio chip is.
The problem occurs with both Coyote Forte and the Coyote WT wrapper.

Real styles are fine but it is affecting all MIDI styles, which are experiencing the exact same timing problems. As if some beats are a little late or early, or all late but to varying degrees. It's the sort of thing you might expect during live playback if you were taxing your system, not during a render when time is free.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Defragged the hard drive recently?

Doubt it is that, but am running out of ideas and it may be worth a try.

I'm sure you've rebooted the machine, right? Windoze loves to be rebooted.

--Mac

J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Since live playback is just fine it cannot be due to system inadequacy in any way. It must be something that only happens during MIDI render, which implies a software problem.

It sounds like some wacked "humanize" effect. As if humanize is set to "maximum annoying" during a render.
Also, render is dropping notes again, so it isn't a 1-off. That seems to be the bigger problem. At first the notes are all there, but about 1-minute into the song they start disappearing until they are all gone.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
** I've had the choppy rendering happen here after installing a lot of new realtracks and as it turned out, defragging the disk eliminated the problem.

All I could figure at the time is that the playback is a different dance than the render beause playback was fine, render had dropouts and missing instrument tracks in places.

--Mac

Hi - I'm having the same problem. I just defragged my hard drive, no joy, rendering a song with all midi tracks produces a .WAV that still has timing glitches. Playback of the same song is fine. Renering w/ real tracks seems to be fine. I installed Biab 2011 just a few weeks ago.

Veteran
Veteran
What are you using for the synth that is doing the rendering? (default DXi synth)
Maybe you guys are onto something .. (?)

I think I'm using CoyoteWT, re: Opt.->Preferences->Midi Driver, VST/DXi Synth Settings...CoyoteWT.

Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if John Vreeland is using the same (?)

J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
I've tried it with both Coyote Forte (licensed) and Coyote WT

I just checked some of my older recordings and I did NOT have this problem under BiaB 2010. Same machine, same OS. The only difference is that BiaB is upgraded.

Veteran
Veteran
Just wondering if it has to do with the Coyote WT .. as this is new with this version.
If Forte does it too, I don't think it has changed, so problem may lie elsewhere.

J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Yeah this problem kills MIDI rendering dead, but at least real-time MIDI works. I suppose a lot of people are using external modules anyway, so they always record in real time.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,383
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.