Print Thread
Go To
#104367 02/03/11 02:31 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Z
Zepl Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I have been using BIAB for 6 years now, and cannot find a tutorial or guide to record guitar trough the computer's mic input. I have been following some instructions,but cannot get rid of the "lag". Can someone give me a step by step instruction on how to do this please?

I have a normal laptop with a normal sound card. - I do not have ASIO either

Zepl #104368 02/03/11 07:45 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You don't mention which VERSION of BiaB you are using, but there are sme great answers and tutorials for this problem in the BiaB FAQ pages.

Link to FAQ support pages is at the bottom of my posts in the .sig area, good idea to bookmark the FAQ page for your version as well as to use the "ctrl-f" on the page to find FAQs relevant to a keyword of your problem, saves having to pour through all of them.

--Mac

Mac #104369 02/03/11 12:45 PM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Standard laptop sound card is going to be a challenge. Kind of like racing the Indy 500 in a Ford Taurus!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Zepl #104370 02/04/11 09:26 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is a tutorial on recording live with your guitar in BIAB.

BIAB .... Realtime/Live Guitar Through External Mic Jack

HP 17 2.5GHz seventh-generation AMD A12-9700P quad-core accelerated processor
2TB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
12GB DDR4 SDRAM
Windows 10 Home (64bit) w/DTS Audio
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You are an ASSET to this community, Brother Bomberomusician!

And, I might add, a purty swingin' good cat to boot.

So now I know that there are TWO of us modern jazzers stuck down heah in The Land of No Bop Gigs. *grin*

Keep holdin' the torch high, my brother, keep hope alive.

Straightahead, and thanks for the wonderful things you are doing here.

--Mac

Mac #104372 02/05/11 12:00 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey... thanks for the kind words Mac. I love Jazz, this forum, and of course Band-In-A-Box 2011 !

12GB DDR4 SDRAM
Z
Zepl Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi Bomb, thanks for the amazing video tutorial, I have tried it and still there is this lag between my own playing and BIAB's song that I have used as a basis to jam with when I play it back.

I have BIAB 2009, 64 bit computer with Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz I have 4 Gig RAM...?

and thanks for everyone's contribution, but still not there!!

Zepl #104374 02/05/11 12:53 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bombermusician, very well done. Both the video and the guitar playing. Thanks for taking the time,DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Zepl #104375 02/05/11 02:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Bomb, thanks for the amazing video tutorial, I have tried it and still there is this lag between my own playing and BIAB's song that I have used as a basis to jam with when I play it back.

I have BIAB 2009, 64 bit computer with Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz I have 4 Gig RAM...?

Zepi, that is presumably called "latency" and it one of the first things you have to overcome with recording to a backing track. You generally get past it by optimizing your input hardware and its driver. First try using a ASIO driver on the input versus the MME. You will have to be sure BIAB is not using ASIO since only one ASIO can run at a time. Perhaps Bomb, could comment on this topic suggest how he handles latency. For my setup (not a laptop) I invested in some fancy gear and said goodby to latency long ago. Good luck.

DrDan #104376 02/05/11 03:42 PM
Veteran
Veteran
To me you're beating your head into the ground for nothing. This input is a Mono input for a mic and this input is very poor. Once you get it working you'll say why'd I bother. If you want and end to your issues & do some decent recording buy an interface meant for the job.I also don't agree with robh's example either. It's more like bringing a horse to the Indy 500.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
DrDan #104377 02/05/11 07:14 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps Bomb, could comment on this topic suggest how he handles latency. For my setup (not a laptop) I invested in some fancy gear and said goodby to latency long ago. Good luck.

I don't have any latency issues. I didn't have to adjust anything.
I just pressed the record audio button....
Also remember like Silvertone stated. Recording through the mic jack only gives you MONO.

12GB DDR4 SDRAM
DennisD #104378 02/05/11 07:15 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Bombermusician, very well done. Both the video and the guitar playing. Thanks for taking the time,DennisD

No problem Dennis.Just trying to return the favors and help when I can.

12GB DDR4 SDRAM
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Other ways to do things. It's true ... you can't expect to have the program play backup tracks and record in the same time without a powerful audio interface. And its also true that the quality of what you record will be hugely diminished by the rinky dink mic that will connect through your onboard audio card ... although you can get USB mics and even a USB mic adaptor for high qualify mics if you have them.

So, if you have none of that? If you have a sound module for midi, hook that up to play your BIAB arrangement; download a free audio editor like Audacity if you don't already have one; put your mic input to the Audacity program; start BIAB looping with the sound module; and record to your hearts content. Later, chop the different takes and import them back into you BIAB track.

Or, don't have a module? Render you BIAB project to wma and place it on a iPod or the like, or burn it to CD. Play either through your personal or home stereo while you record in Audacity again.

Or, play along to BIAB and don't worry about the lag (AKA latency) ... you shouldn't be hearing it as you are playing, but only when you play it back. Right? (I can't imagine you can't do the following in RealBand ... but since I've never used it I can't say for sure ... but you can do it in any other DAW). Export your files or open the project in RealBand (or another DAW). Turn of the 'snap' feature that only lets you move the files in the project in set beats ... and slide your recorded track until it syncs up ... and then turn the snap back on. Everything will stay exactly as you conceived it when you played/ recorded it form here on out.

DAWs have powerful features that make some things really easy ... but there has always been many ways to skin a cat.

Prado

Prado #104380 02/08/11 11:34 AM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
See the issue here is where the music is mixed at. When you have existing tracks, and are adding new tracks then have to cross paths somewhere. And every road they take requires time. If you play the guitar into a line or mike input, it take time for the music to pass thru the AD/DA convertors, and reach tha program, and while that is happening the music in the existing tracks has already headed to the exit to hit the speakers. That means going out of the sound card. So the incoming guitar has to go from the input to the convertors and to the software a be recorded and exit back to the sound card and out. All the existing tracks have to do is the output, so the new tracks need to travel twice as far.

A good interface will use it's driver setup to allow all this to happen at it's software mixer, an internal program that is written into that driver. This introduces compensation to the process and allow them to meet and sort of catch up, and you and the speakers hear them all at the same time.

Built in cards do not have drivers that are really capable of this type of process. You can use third party drivers like ASIO4All, and others, but it is a piece of duct tape on the problem. A solid recording interface or sound card with drivers written for this becomes the heart and soul of the system.

John's horse just can't keep up!!!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Z
Zepl Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi,

Thanks to all for your valuable contributions, I have come to the realization that one cannot record properly on a standard 64 bit laptop with standard sound cards etc.

It breaks my heart, but what can one do?? - invest in proper digital hardware I suppose.

Thanks again for all your input!!

Zep

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,803
Posts737,483
Members38,589
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
xristos69, Eliana Davis, Nao incomodem mais, minimashi, EricQP
38,588 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 168