Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Prado Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
I'm on the bubble regarding purchasing the Audiophile Pack, primarily for the Real Tracks.

I appreciate the help I've gotten to understand the pitch shifting issue!

One more thing I'm having a hard time getting my head around: 'Real Track Styles.'

I know what a style is in BIAB ... a combination of instruments for a specific genre. But when I look at the Real Track videos, they seem to identify/ describe a single Real Track instrument as a style. Does this mean the same thing as in BIAB that everyone gets loaded by that name and then there is a set accompaniment (presumably including other Real Tracks for the other instruments?) highlighting each Real Track Instrument Style?

I would have thought that there would be various Real Track Styles independent of the instruments ... which would have selected various Real Track Instruments to make up a band.

This also makes me wonder whether there are additional styles (in the BIAB sense) included with Real Tracks that can also have their Real Track instruments replaced by midi voices, if desired. I see in the Real Band videos that there is an observable compiled midi track that you can see under each Real Track.

Would someone please address these issues for me?

Thank you.

Prado

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes, RealTrack Styles have all the Real Instruments assigned to them such that you can load them in one shot via the Stylepicker.

There are also Realtrack style substitutions available for some of the good old MIDI styles. You can set that to automatically substitute a MIDI style with a corresponding RealTracks Style should one be available.

--Mac

P
Prado Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Thanks Mac ... but I am still not getting it. Let me try one more time to make sure I'm asking my question precisely.

You are saying that every Real Track instrument is (or has) also a specific, individual Real Track style associated with it (with a prechosen accompaniment from other Real Tracks)?

And, if so, when you open that style, can you change any band instrument with a different available Real Track instrument ... as you can with midi voicing in BIAB? Or?

And is track freezing part of Real Track style ... so you can generate a song from a style, freeze the tracks you like and then open another style to change some of the instruments?

Finally, is there a list somewhere of which original midi styles permit Real Track substitution?

Thanks.

Prado

Veteran
Veteran
I'm no expert on styles, but I think there are Realtrack styles (where you can get the style played with all realtracks in that style for all instruments, like piano, drums, bass etc)
I do not think there is a realtrack style for every realtrack (although every realtrack may be associated with a MIDI/Realtracks combination style)

Yes, in 2011 I believe you can generate tracks with a different stryle to experiment. This, to me, is easier done in Realband (which comes with BiaB for free) as in RB you can keep generating multiple tracks of the same Realtracks, get variations, and assemble a final track you like. The erase the old and do the same thing trying any realtracks you want with 48 tracks to work with.

I know of no list of substitute realtracks, it is available in the style picker and realtrack picker window.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Prado Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Thanks, Rharv ...

Prado

J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
And as regards the audiophile I believe that unless you are a really serious musician or have tones of money to spend the average end user wouldn't know the difference in sound between the audiophile and standard editions.

joe
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

And as regards the audiophile I believe that unless you are a really serious musician or have tones of money to spend the average end user wouldn't know the difference in sound between the audiophile and standard editions.

I agree with that.

However, for those who want the audiophile edition, it is good to have such available.

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
HI again, Prado.

Quote:

Thanks Mac ... but I am still not getting it. Let me try one more time to make sure I'm asking my question precisely.

You are saying that every Real Track instrument is (or has) also a specific, individual Real Track style associated with it (with a prechosen accompaniment from other Real Tracks)?

Well, I did't say that.

There are some RealTracks Styles available. However, not every RealTrack instrument has "specific, individual RealTracks style" - there are plenty of realtracks, soloists, rhythm parts, that do not necessarily also have a corresponding Style that goes with them. Please don't ask me for a count of what is where, there's a lot of 'em (grin). But it is good to have choices here.

Quote:

And, if so, when you open that style, can you change any band instrument with a different available Real Track instrument ... as you can with midi voicing in BIAB? Or?

You can change any Realtrack to another RealTrack from within a song that uses a Realtrack style qwuite easily. To change to a single MIDI instrument among the ones in a RealTrack style is possible, but not a one-click feature of the program. But I've done it by first freezing the parts desired from the Realtrack style, then changing the chosen style to the desired MIDI style that has a certain desired part in it and letting it play along with the song. The RealBand program that ships with BiaB is likely the better place to do that kind of mixing and matching, though, as it was designed for that kind of thing.

Quote:

And is track freezing part of Real Track style ... so you can generate a song from a style, freeze the tracks you like and then open another style to change some of the instruments?

Well, I've never tried to do it as a concurrent isntrument change, as in mixing instruments with ones from aother style that play at the same time. Simply because Realtracks picker offers another way to access all the sepaarated RealTracks from a list where you can invoke them one at a time. I do that instead. And again, there is also the Realband program, which can prove to be a wonderful asset along those lines once a user learns the basic likes and differences between BiaB and Realband. I often will start a song project in BiaB and at some certain point will then move the entire project over to RealBand for the real critical editing, highlighting and regeneration of just a small area of a Realtrack, adding my recorded MIDI or Audio tracks to the thing, etc. etc.

Quote:

Finally, is there a list somewhere of which original midi styles permit Real Track substitution?

A list is not needed. Because you can substitute single realtracks into ANY and ALL MIDI styles.

At this point I think you should stop trying to anticipate whatever and simply place your order and get the programs inhand and see what it is all about. Take advantage of the pgmusic 30-day no questions asked return policy, which is like getting a fully featured demo that saves work. Work with it every day that you can for that f30-day period, you should be able to see what it can do for you by the 28th day and then decide whether to keep it or send it back. That guarantee exists, I think, because most decide to keep it. But it is still an excellent way to find out the skinny concerning the types of questions you are asking.

--Mac

P
Prado Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
@Joemardo1 ... I could really only justify getting the whole RealTrack package if it was so close to production quality that even some pros couldn't tell the difference. I have a pretty good rig with decent Mackie monitors, acoustically treated studio, RME Multiface II audio interface, a couple of UAD2 quads, Onyx 800R (for piping my synths)and mics and preamps to go with them. When I look at my credit card statements it is a toss up between whether I am serious or crazy.

@Mac ... your advice is good and I'm all but certain I'll be following it. But I can't resist one final question. Does a RealBand style autoregenerate on each play ... or only if you force it to?

In other words, does it work with the identical BIAB philosophy of 'real players never play it exactly the same' or something different?

I do understand about track freezing and how to ensure you save something you like ... but even in demoing I'd like to know this as I'd have to lose something I really liked.

FWIW I have viewed all the videos on RealBand on the website I could find.

Prado

Veteran
Veteran
No, you have to generate the part in order to get a different riff etc. The original generated part "sticks" in RB, unless you select that track and re-generate it on purpose.

The play button in RB will NOT re-generate any part when pressed.

Trax

P
Prado Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Thanks Trax. I'm sure I like that better.

I've always thought the play and replay buttons in BIAB should be reversed in function and then renamed play and regen. I understand people are used to it 'being the way it is' and the 'a real musician never plays the same way twice' thing, but it is counter intuitive for new users and something that gives BIAB a superficial appearance of being 'clunky.'

Prado

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,681
Posts735,867
Members38,538
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen
38,537 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177