Band-in-a-Box for Windows
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
need help and advice on this one......

i can no longer get the proper driver support for my soundblaster audigy 2zs platinum pro(its a looooong story)....i need some new gear but i don't know what to get,here's the probs.....

i have the subwoofer and the 5.1 speakers in working order which was very very good for led zep dvds and pc music in general (youtube and cds and stuff)

sometime down the line i may want to record stuff on my pc with my guitar ( maybe sonar producer or something) and i understand that a quite different type of speaker and audio interface is required for that job?

is there a good card available that i could use my speakers with and have the sound come from ALL the speakers as opposed to just the two channels?(the new driver support will not let me upmix my sound to the 5 desk top speakers)creative lab "support"is legendary BTW

if i bought a set of the studio speakers for DAW would the led zep dvds sound any good on them,would i get that nice bass reponse that i got from my old subwoofer?

my old card has died and i can find nothing to relace it with.i am prepared to spend some money. i have just bought BIAB, GUITAR PRO 6(which is just great) and a whole new PC set up except for the sound card!!

this is me old kit.....i am NEVER going with creative again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Labs-Audigy-Platinum-Pro/dp/B0000ERWGB

Last edited by vishnu; 06/26/11 06:09 AM.
vishnu #117969 06/26/11 06:19 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There are plenty of good quality sound devices to pick from these days.

If you really dig what you got from the subwoofer setup, consider moving to a good nearfield monitor 2.1 setup and amp system or speakers with built in amps.

2 stereo speakers plus subwoofer.

Your ledZep should sound as good or better that way, plus mixing your own guitar will be a LOT simpler when dealing with the two channel stereo output (the subwoofer will just enhance bass response for both) rather than adding the complication of trying to do surround sound mixes that will have to translate to many other listener's systems well.

--Mac

Mac #117970 06/26/11 06:30 AM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Quote:

There are plenty of good quality sound devices to pick from these days.

If you really dig what you got from the subwoofer setup, consider moving to a good nearfield monitor 2.1 setup and amp system or speakers with built in amps.

2 stereo speakers plus subwoofer.

Your ledZep should sound as good or better that way, plus mixing your own guitar will be a LOT simpler when dealing with the two channel stereo output (the subwoofer will just enhance bass response for both) rather than adding the complication of trying to do surround sound mixes that will have to translate to many other listener's systems well.

--Mac

is ther a link you can point me to for this type of set up?

vishnu #117971 06/26/11 07:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Get one of these with a set of BX series speakers -
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SBX10.html

I like BX8a deluxe.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html

Although I find the subwoofer not very 'necessary' with the BX8a's for recording, you may like it for DVD's.
The BX8a's get down to the low 30Hz range on their own. The sub would cover about 32 down to 20. The sub would carry more load if used with the BX5 series.

As for soundcard, are you using the PCI slot still? If so M-Audio cards have great support. My 1010lt has reliable drivers for win 7 (64 & 32 bit), vista and XP available.

Last edited by rharv; 06/26/11 07:51 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #117972 06/26/11 10:29 AM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Quote:

Get one of these with a set of BX series speakers -

I like BX8a deluxe.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html

Although I find the subwoofer not very 'necessary' with the BX8a's for recording, you may like it for DVD's.
The BX8a's get down to the low 30Hz range on their own. The sub would cover about 32 down to 20. The sub would carry more load if used with the BX5 series.

As for soundcard, are you using the PCI slot still? If so M-Audio cards have great support. My 1010lt has reliable drivers for win 7 (64 & 32 bit), vista and XP available.

hi and thanks...:)

what about these CX5s?
http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/monitors/studiophile-cx5-223966/review

...and the 1010lt sound card,is that all i would need for my BIAB guitar pro DVDs and general sound duties?

i take it the sound card is the internal one like the audigy? i like the look of the card . is compatable with the CX5 speakers?

one last question my friend....if i wanted to go to recording guitars at a later time down the road i would still need an audio interface .yeah?

Last edited by vishnu; 06/26/11 10:30 AM.
vishnu #117973 06/26/11 10:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran
[quote)

...and the 1010lt sound card,is that all i would need for my BIAB guitar pro DVDs and general sound duties?

one last question my friend....if i wanted to go to recording guitars at a later time down the road i would still need an audio interface .yeah?

Nothing else needed....

That 1010lt will serve as the input from your guitar and/or vocal mic and/or mic'ed or midi drum set and/or mic'ed guitar amp and/or midi keyboard, for doing any and all recording you would need. The 1010lt is a PCI card which inserts into you PC, if you have the right PCI slot. Also works great with GuitarPro 6.

i actually disable my internal PC sound card - although both can run at the same time.

DrDan #117974 06/26/11 10:56 AM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Quote:

[quote)

Nothing else needed....

That 1010lt will serve as the input from your guitar and/or vocal mic and/or mic'ed or midi drum set and/or mic'ed guitar amp and/or midi keyboard, for doing any and all recording you would need. The 1010lt is a PCI card which inserts into you PC, if you have the right PCI slot. Also works great with GuitarPro 6.

i actually disable my internal PC sound card - although both can run at the same time.

i have seen lots of reviews on the USA Amazon site stating that the sound card is not very good with Windows 7

vishnu #117975 06/26/11 11:02 AM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
i have seen lots of reviews on the USA Amazon site stating that the sound card is not very good with Windows 7

i had another look at the speakers (CX5s).they are a little too rich for my blood £560 a pair! jeeezzz.....is there an.... ahem...a cheaper alternative with the proper connections for that sound card?

Last edited by vishnu; 06/26/11 11:03 AM.
vishnu #117976 06/26/11 12:33 PM
Veteran
Veteran
The soundcard works fine here with the latest drivers. I'm aure there was a period in time where people had issues with Win7 when it first came out, and most complints I saw were older, from it was first released. I know others using it in Win 7 with no problems also, same new drivers.
* ins and 8 outs. With some work you could set up a pseudo 7.1 system (using all 8 outs). In theory anyway. The guys I know that have the card love the ease of use and the flexibility inside the 1010lt mixer. It's a seperate routing scheme that works great with PGProducts in our experience.

As for speakers; the BX8a Deluxe can be had for $349 or so a pair if you look around. Great value there. Incredible detail is what I noticed .. oh, and they are loud. I rarely get mine even close to half volume.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/54...eluxe_130W.html

Not many bad reviews on these out there these days, lots of compliments. The CX5 is discontinued in the familiar places I look. Some places have cut the price in half on remaining stock. Not a good sign. BX8a has been around a while and continues to sell well.

Last edited by rharv; 06/26/11 12:43 PM.

rharv #117977 06/26/11 12:40 PM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Quote:

The soundcard works fine here with the latest drivers. I'm aure there was a period in time where people had issues with Win7 when it first came out, and most complints I saw were older, from it was first released. I know others using it in Win 7 with no problems also, same new drivers.
* ins and 8 outs. With some work you could set up a pseudo 7.1 system (using all 8 outs). In theory anyway. The guys I know that have the card love the ease of use and the flexibility inside the 1010lt mixer. It's a seperate routing scheme that works great with PGProducts in our experience.

As for speakers; the BX8a Deluxe can be had for $359 or so a pair if you look around. Great value there. Incredible detail is what I noticed .. oh, and they are loud. I rarely get mine even close to half volume.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/54...eluxe_130W.html

Not many bad reviews on these out there these days, lots of compliments.

yeah i have been reading about the BX8As.......say i bought them and was unhappy with the bass response would i be able to add a subwoofer at a later date with the available connections?

oh, i have already seen today on evil bay the sound card you mentioned for CHEAP!

you have been a great help thanks...now i have this cooker...........:)

vishnu #117978 06/26/11 12:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
The BX8a are part of the system the subwoofer I llinked was designed for. The website mentions it being designed for the BX series monitors, which includes BX8a and BX5a. You may like the 5a's as they are smaller and not so loud. But yes, the subwooder can be added later. It has been done many times.

For most work here I do not use the subwoofer, but I can see times when it would be nice, like DVD's.

Last edited by rharv; 06/26/11 12:49 PM.

rharv #117979 06/26/11 01:04 PM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
Rharv if i went with the smaller BX5As what matching subwoofer would you recommend for me by M Audio?

re: the sound card i can plug me guitar in there. right?

Last edited by vishnu; 06/26/11 01:07 PM.
rharv #117980 06/26/11 01:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
As far as that soundard, it's a steal for most musicians. The ability to record 8 audio inputs at once (or 16 or 24 or 32 if you chain more cards together) is valuable.

I bought the card, and a 32 channel mixer that has 8 subgroup out and found I was in demand because I could record a performance. It had to be submixed usually to get down to 8 tracks, so I did things like put 6 mics on the drums, mix them as a stereo subgroup and record them to two tracks, but I got it done.
Then I got a second 1010lt and sync'd them, and by using the 8 AUX outs from the mixer I could now record 16 tracks in a live setting. The equipment paid for itself in a couple years. Now I usually just use one card and record bands in the studio (I hate moving the system around). I do have both cards installed and hooked up to a 48 slot patchbay. First sixteen slots are 1010lt inputs, from 48 on down are the 16 outputs. Makes things easy for connecting. The mixer is usually wired up for use with all the ins, but like I said; when I record in a studio setting I rarely need that many ins so I only enable one card.

If you needed even more in's you could connect the guitar players amp and keyboards digitally using the s/pdif inputs and thus having 10 in's per card. 8 audio and 2 digital. That's why they call it the 1010 instead of the 8/8

vishnu #117981 06/26/11 01:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Rharv if i went with the smaller BX5As what matching subwoofer would you recommend for me by M Audio?

Same one I linked earlier; it was designed by m-audio for those speakers.

"Designed for use with the M-Audio CX and BX Deluxe series"
I'd suggest getting 'BX5a Deluxe' if available as opposed to BX5a (older)

There was BX5, then BX5a then BX5a Deluxe and each is an improvement (same with the 8 series). The 'Deluxe' improvement was a big improvement for the 8a series in reliability. 5a's didn't seem to have the same issues.
The 8's also take quite a bit more room, need to be ready for that if you go that route. 5's are smaller which works better for many people. I built a custom desk for the 8's so they sit in the right spot for me when I am working.

Last edited by rharv; 06/26/11 01:13 PM.

vishnu #117982 06/26/11 03:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

this is indeed unfortunate. I have to admit that while my M-Audio is working fine under Win 7 there is indeed a lot of rumbling on the web about their Win7 drivers.

they have recently released a new beta:

Beta Version: Delta Series Version 6.0.5
Release Date: March 14, 2011
Applies to: Delta 44, 66 (OmniStudio), 410, 1010, 1010lt, Audiophile 24/96 & 192 devices.
Operating Systems Supported:
(32-Bit) XP SP3, Vista SP2, Windows 7
(64-Bit) Vista SP2, Windows 7

But the complaining continues (even I would not change to the update since what I have is working for me). have to admit if I was in the market I may look elsewhere.

DrDan #117983 06/26/11 03:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran
The most recent complaint I see at Amazon is dated August 6, 2010 ..
Not sure I would worry much about complaints about the new OS drivers a year ago ..
The complaints have let up since then, which is about the time the drivers were released.
Just sayin'

This is almost expected response for an existing card on a new OS. I know a few Win 7 (64 bit) systems that run it just fine with new drivers. M-Audio has been top-notch with driver support in my opinion.
YMMV

Where are you seeing the complaining still?

Last edited by rharv; 06/26/11 03:59 PM.

rharv #117984 06/26/11 04:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran
No trouble at all on my system using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #117985 06/26/11 04:18 PM
V
vishnu Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
V
afore i go to bed for the nicht........i see M audio getting a bad rap for their speakers too (bx5a model, including the deluxe)......something about an unresolved design fault, like bad caps...it's all there on the net.

thanks for all your input guys

rharv #117986 06/26/11 04:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Where are you seeing the complaining still?

Over in the M-Audio Forum...

http://forums.m-audio.com/forumdisplay.php?36-Delta-Series

Here is the most recent word from M-Audio on the subject of Delta Drivers for win7 just days ago..

Delta Driver 5.10.00.5076 Posted 05-31-2011
Hello Delta Community,

Our latest Windows Delta driver release (Installer Package 6.0.5 with Driver 5.10.00.5076) was posted to solve a compatibility problem with newer series motherboard chipset and CPU combinations from Intel. The problem identified was a low level distorted audio occuring with Core2Duo and i-Series processors. The sound in question resembled bacon sizzling while. Despite this one fix, we here in the Test and Customer Support groups stressed pretty heavily over whether or not to release this driver to full release knowing that there are other outstanding issues with the driver.

We felt that the severity of the issue was great enough to push this to full release for those users wishing to use the card in newer system configurations. The outstanding issues already identified by our customers are still being considered for possible future releases.

We encourage you to download and use this new driver and continue to provide us feedback on your experiences with this driver over the previous releases.

DrDan #117987 06/26/11 06:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like m-audio is being pretty upfront and honest with it. Actually, for a support site, the problems reported are not very alarming to me.
I can only imagine being in the position of responsibility for compatability with new chipsets and such.

I usually research a bit on the system compatability before purchasing. But I know others that haven't, and their new off the shelf Win 7 64 systems are working fine with the newer 1010lt drivers.
Personal experience, YMMV

Last edited by rharv; 06/26/11 06:24 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,799
Posts737,417
Members38,586
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
pharmaplug1, EricQP, JelleY, Akzz, trumpet man
38,585 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 169