Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thinking of getting a shortwave receiver for Christmas. But wondering these days if there is anything worthwhile being broadcast. I figure ya'll are the kind of dudes who'd know this.

Thinking it would be cool to get a different slant on world news and unusual music.

I'm in the US mid-west. I'd get a pretty good radio if I get one.

Thanks and Merry Christmas in advance.

- Bud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think any news service you can get is on the net.

Shortwave was the only way to go a few decades ago if you wanted to listen to propaganda or lived in some remote joint.

Now guys on traplines are taking in sat dish, flat panel, and a small generator so they can watch house while skinning furs.

No more telling stories and keeping oral history going, you can learn everything in the comfort of a log shack at the treeline with PBS and fox news. On a trap line you have to watch fox, it just seems right somehow.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
BBC news alone is worth listening to shortwave. I was a big fan of shortwave as a child, since I grew up in the Adirondacks with not much local radio that was worthy. That was 50+ years ago and there was a lot more on shortwave then, but it's still a fascinating way to hear other perspectives.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In Canada we get BBC and BBC Canada on cable. Not that that's cheap, but for now it's a diversion. I tried an hdtv antenna and got 4 channels. Now if you live in a high rise in Toronto you can get lots of channels, though I doubt BBC is coming on board the list of broadcast channels any time soon.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I was introduced to SW in 1962 during the Cuban missile crisis. I listened to Fidel Castro every night on a Knight Kit superhet receiver that I had built. He would rant and rave about the Yankee imperialist. I got my ham ticket in 67. I don't have a decent antenna now, but it seems that I'm finding a lot less on SW now. Of course a good antenna at a decent height makes all the difference in the world.

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Shortwave I'm pretty sure is still good, loads of radio hams still broadcast and their chatter is interesting at times. I'd get a receiver with the capability of receiving SSB ( single side band )
Used to have a Cobra 147 GTLDX tranceiver many years ago, and whilst that wasn't exactly amateur radio, it WAS CB radio. Ended up a few years later having chatted to
all but two of the States in the USA. Alaska & Hawaii. Spoke all over Canada, had regular sceds with friends in the West Indies who I actually met years ago.
Depends what you want the receiver for. I'd love to get back into it myself but just don't have the space

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks a bunch ya'll!

Been looking at Sony ICF-SW7600GR model. I had a cheap Grundig ($30 US) once and it picked up a little bit. Everbody on Amazon liked the Sony.

- Bud
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There's lots of shortwave weird number station stuff rebroadcast on the internet. Can't remember the website - I have it bookmarked on a different machine (I know, gotta do the cloud based bookmark thing one day).

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Grundig makes great shortwave radios.

One important feature to look for is that it has a terminal for an external antenna. Shortwave reception is dramatically improved with a long wire antenna outside, or even a metal roof.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt, with shortwave, isn't there some weird formula to determine the length of the wire you need to run? I remember once for fun a buddy and I took his shortwave radio and made a clip on system for his antenna jack. Then we went to a water filtration plant that had a fence around the perimeter with barbed wire around the top and clipped the antenna to a wire that had to run close to a mile with no breaks in it. Just because we could!!!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Expert
Expert
R
I was a shortwave fan many years back. I was always fascinated listening to the 'Atomic Clock' from Fort Collins, BBC, Radio Moscow, VOA broadcast to eastern block countries...it was fun. My shortwave was a little battery operated hand-held Sony and had an antenna that could be extended. No need to hook it up to an external antenna and picked up plenty of stations. You need to learn what frequencies to scan at particular times of day as the sun is a determining factor.

Now I'm hooked on internet radio. I have a Logitech Squeezebox - one of the apps being TuneIn Radio (www.tunein.com). If you can't find something interesting there, well... I think now the iPhones, etc have apps to access Tunein and others. Seems to be the way to go. Of course, you need access to the net. When an EMP takes out the net, a shortwave will be handy though.

R

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
432/freq. in Mhz would give you a resonant half wave.

Not all that critical for SWL.

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Or 428/frequency. Sure, as the frequency goes up, optimum antenna length gets shorter. But with 1/2 wave and other variations, and with the frequency range of shortwave being so large, just string a long wire between two trees, tap into the middle, and have fun.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Don and Matt both got at least one question on the Technician Class Amateur Radio License test wrong *grin*.

The correct formula for a half-wave dipole is 468/frequency in MHz. The answer derived from this would be in feet.

Ex:

Let's say that the frequency of interest is 10MHz (which would be WWV time standard's freq. in USA)

468/10 = 46.8 feet

So if one constructed a dipole antenna that was 23.4 feet on each side, the antenna would be close to resonance at 10MHz.

However, for receiving only, or Short Wave Listening (SWL) purposes, there really is no need for a resonant antenna and such is not critical. Rule of thumb is longer is better, higher above ground is better. But one can do a LOT of shortwave listening using the telescoping rod antenna that is typical in the modern solid state shortwave listening receivers.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have one at our cabin, a battery powered one. We learned about the big east coast blackout one year at breakfast. Of course the only thing powered in the place was the radio, so what did we care? 2 weeks with nothing but the lake, the sun, and canoes was always my kind of entertainment.

It's almost winter. I can tell by the number of posts in the other forum. And you can hear the gnashing of teeth from here. Sooner or later most of them will figure out that the C: drive is not the G: drive, or that the feature they want to turn on the water sprinklers when someone plays I'm in the Mood is not a feature that is ready yet.

And things will calm down.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd a trio 9R59DS receiver just after I left school. Listened for hours. When I worked in the Shetland islands I used to listen to the various fleets of trawlers heading out to sea, some very colourful language to say the least, but entertaining. What joy when I first picked up radio Australia !! I also remember hearing King Hussain of Jordan when he used to broadcast as a radio ham, and imagine my thrill when I received a QSL card back from him about a year later ! WOW !
I was hooked. I think that's where I got my love of radio presenting from

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's an archive of number station broadcasts: http://www.archive.org/details/ird059

Also, here's an online tuner that's cool - spectrogram and all.

http://w4ax.com/

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I'm wiping the egg from my face here, Mac.

After posting, I realized that I had misstated the formula, but I didn't get around to editing it.

Sorry about that.

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And I mistyped 428 for 468. With shortwave, it really doesn't make a significant difference.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Rubberball103

I still have my Sony ICF-SW7600 which I bought in 1990. It is still going strong although lately I have not strung up an antenna to get SW. I use it in my office for FM local stations. Great little radio!

Mine came with a thickish booklet showing all the shortwave stations of the world, including the timetables, stations guide and frequencies list. The appendicies list long wave, medium wave and FM stations. I suppose that most of the listed stations are now defunct in this age of satellites.

Kevin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,521
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173