Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151729 02/27/12 09:10 AM
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Following a discussion about the quality of on-board PC audio, we carried out a little experiment.

We played a digitally produced commercial CD track through a Denon CD player and recorded the analogue output into a modern PC. We did this first using a top-end USB digital interface and secondly through the computer's line-in using the Realtec on-board audio. We then took the first part of one track and the second part of the other track and spliced them together. The result was burnt to a new CD and played back through the Denon CD player, a Yamaha power amp and Tannoy monitors. The idea was that the quality of the equipment should not mask any differences in the audio.

We played the CD to twenty people and asked them to identify the point at which the track was spliced. No one got it right. Perhaps it's time to re-think where the budget is spent?

ROG.

ROG #151730 02/27/12 11:05 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Correct me if I've missed your point...

I've had an on-going informal discussion with several audio enthusiasts over the last few years as to what comprises audiophile quality sound, and what equipment is necessary to create it.

Some emphasize the use of condenser mics, tube mic pre-amps, high-end A/D D/A converters, 96 Khz - 24 bit digital audio files, tube pre-amps and power amps, and expensive loudspeaker arrangements coupled with acoustically treated listening environments. Many of these folk also claim that analog audio from a good turntable or reel-to-reel tape machine produces a listening experience superior to any digitally reproduced audio.

Others claim that inexpensive (but carefully chosen and deployed) components are equally capable of producing a top-notch audio experience, and that digital audio can be as satisfying as its analog counterpart.

Personally, I feel that digital audio processing in a reasonably capable home computer shows great promise. Your experiment comparing the high-tech USB input to the basic Realtech soundcard input is a case in point. Why go overboard with fancy hardware when the same effect can be achieved by selecting the software tools that compliment quality audio, and then learning how to use them to the full extent of their potential?

just looking for clues...
Oren.
http://www.masteringmatters.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You also need to go a little further ROG. The line in on my older Toshiba is as good to my ears as my outboard card. The MIC in on my new computer is not. This is a pretty known fact that on newer machines the outs are very good but the ins are poor.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oren - I think you've got my drift exactly. People have lots of ideas about what equipment is needed (and it's usually expensive) but, at the end of the day, if you can't tell the difference in a listening test, what's the point?

Silvertones - You're absolutely right, the MIC input is usually rubbish. We only worked with the line in.

ROG.

ROG #151733 02/27/12 01:17 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I agree but we as pro or at least semi-pro musicians are keepers of the faith so to speak. The general public knows squat. They don't care about absolute audio quality or the quality of musicianship either. It's up to us to uphold the quality of the product and it's been that way forever with all the trades. Most people can't tell if a piece of jewelry is top quality workmanship or not but other jewelers know and the good ones have pride in their workmanship. Same thing for pretty much anything that's commercially produced from furniture to cars. I happen to be a big fan of Mercedes. I've never been in a position to buy a new one but have bought 5 ot 6 used ones for 25 years now including my latest 2001 CLK 430. I paid 7K for it, it's great car, the rear seats fold down for loading stuff for my gigs and it literally looks like a 50K new one.

There's maybe 5% at the most of users who can tell the overall sound quality and the quality of the players but the other 95% haven't a clue. That doesn't mean we all start producing crap because nobody will notice. Therefore I buy the highest quality stuff I can afford. I know my EMU 1820M with the external audiodock is much better quality than anything built into any PC and I don't care whether a listener can tell the difference or not.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
I don't think the issue is the quality of the line in, as many today are capable of decent recording using the PC's line in jack, on it's built in card/chip, but the test was skewed a bit to start with. You are sending Digital audio into the PC, All premixed and complete at 16 bit, 44,100 sample rate, certainly nothing a average PC sound card can not handle.

The real isuue with built in PC cards, is the ability to process fast enough not to introduce latency, and not to start to pop and crackle. Take that same sound card and compare multiple tracks of 24 bit, sound and the problem begin. It is not the card per se, but the drivers that lack. Plus the preamps are not the same. But the sound you used needed none of these as it was pre made, and up to the job to start with. The card will do, but all of us who have tinkered with this stuff know very well that the overall quality of what we did came up with at least the introduction of prosumer gear.

If all you are doing is transfering digital audio in and out of the computer, you need nothing more than the build in card/chip. If you want to do heavy recording a reasonable step up is needed. For most of what we do, no one really needs a 48 track pro consloe board. So much is done at the software level now.

Don't kid yourself that a better interface, with well written drivers won't make a difference in a full on recording project though.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If connected to the two Line Inputs, it is NOT digital audio.

It must be analog.

Aa I've been preaching for some time now, the modern PC, due to the large customer interest in media, is touting sound specs that are typically quite good indeed, for the most part.

--Mac

Mac #151736 02/27/12 04:50 PM
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As Mac points out, we said in the original post that we were using the analogue outs from the Denon. In effect, all we were comparing were the A/D converters in the USB device and the Realtec on-board A/D. We chose a digitally recorded CD in order to present a wide frequency and dynamic range to the test equipment.

One important factor is that the judges were all under thirty, so could be expected to have reasonable hearing and they were all musicians, except one who was a drummer. (Sorry drummers - couldn't resist it.)

Once the audio is in the PC, it doesn't matter how many tracks you have, because it's just number crunching and if you mix within the digital domain and then export the result as digital media, all the internal audio is used for is monitoring.

I admit that this wasn't an exhaustive test - it was just an attempt to get us all to think about how we react to marketing and what we really need out of a system.

ROG.

ROG #151737 02/27/12 05:35 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
For the most part i am agreeing with you. If you take the output of a CD and run it though the players line outs to the line ins of a PC built in sound card. It is digital signal processed thru a D/A convertor to a A/D convertor in the SC. Whatever comes out of the CD player is going to be the analog equivilent of the Cd itself, and that is 16 bit 44,100 sampled redbook sound. Whether you send that to a PC sound card, a $100 USB, or $500 it is still 16 bit 44,100 sampled sound, pretty standard, and you are right it would pretty much sound the same.

I still say, after doing this for a number of years, myself, and helping a few dozen others setup their systems, that does not negate the value of a proper interface for a good recording system. The quality of the line in specs maybe better today, but the drivers and abilities to handle all the process of a full on recording session is not what those PC cards were made for. I have watched literally hundreds of folks come through over at the Cakewalk MC, every one trying to get the program to work properly with just a PC sound card, and after a lot of hassle, every one that went out and purchased a decent interface found the same thing. Their problems stopped immediately.

If all you want to do is transfer audio from CDs and or other devices to the PC the built in is more than enough. You want to build a real powerful do all studio the interface is the heart of that process, at least to me it is, form my personal experience. Nice thing is, that they are not that expensive anymore from around $100 to $200 you can get a butt load of them.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
ROG #151738 02/28/12 04:51 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Perhaps it's time to re-think where the budget is spent?

Early on, when I was learning the basics of digital audio - largely from the folks here on the PG Music forums - it became apparent that some enthusiasts were deploying a staggering array of pricey computer hardware and software, only to come up with some decidedly second rate audio. On the other end of the scale, a few stalwart individuals proved capable of producing spectacular sound with spartan equipment and a few basic programs.

Retailers, manufacturers, and their promotion experts have done a very capable job of muddying the waters, to the point where I've heard otherwise intelligent computer audio enthusiasts actually quoting the drivel concocted by some advertising copywriter as if it were a well established fact.

To my mind, if I want to conduct myself responsibly as an experienced computer music buff, it seems that my first item of business would be to sort the hype from the real deal, and help others equip themselves most advantageously with skills, audio software, and computer hardware that get the job done without unnecessary bells and whistles. The original purpose of this thread was to sort through a few possible misconceptions regarding computer music production, and I say "it's high time for some plain talk" on this subject.

Oren.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Oren, let me be clear. I agree that the hype does not pencil out for the most part. One does not need a top end setup to get decent, even stellar results. I have used a M-Audio 24/96 card for about 10 years now, and it works great. I bought a $99 special Tascam US 800 recently for when friends come over, but i went back to using the delta card. It is fine.

I hear folks talking about their $1,000 dollar interfaces, and their $5,000 interface, and i have to laugh. Having said that while you can get a good clean solid signal in the box with a built in card, they are also famous for being the bottleneck of the system.

I believe that a decent, solid interface or card with drivers written with recording and such in mind is the heart and soul of a decent system. After that so much can now be done in the "box" so to speak. Vocal, and instrument processing is a software world these day.

You hear so much big talk at many other forums about the search for the best interface, the best mikes, the best preamps, the best compressors, the best ..... Well you know, it is silly.

Good frank, and honest conversation about the realities of what practical, and useful, but let's not go to far the other direction.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oren - To my everlasting shame, I've actually done work for the advertising industry. On the wall of one office was the mantra "If you say something often enough it becomes true".

Rob - In the days before CD, the British Broadcasting Corporation wouldn't accept material on audio cassette because of quality issues. We had a guy come to us with some music which he only had on cassette and which the BBC had refused. We ran it through a noise-gate to keep the intro clean and then onto the Revox reel to reel. The BBC accepted the reel without question. All I'm saying is that sometimes we only see in straight lines.

I'm a great believer in that the end product is what counts. We have a Neuman U87, but we sometimes record vocals with an SM57. Why? Because it sounds right on that particular voice. I think we should all dare to use our ears in preference to running with the pack.

Thanks to both of you for your lively input.

ROG.

ROG #151741 02/29/12 08:59 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I admit that this wasn't an exhaustive test - it was just an attempt to get us all to think about how we react to marketing and what we really need out of a system.

That's ok as far as it goes but this is a recording forum not a regular PC consumer forum. Sure, any modern PC is fine for what you did, most of us knew that already. The true test is to take a standard vocal mic like the SM58, put the miniplug adapters on it to run from a nice pro level and quiet XLR cable into the crappy mic input on the built in chip and compare that to running it through any decent external interface with good preamps. Then even further, do that test comparing that 58 through the chip to a moderately expensive condenser mic going through an interface like my EMU that has the Pro Tools pre's with phantom power. Record a good vocalist with a very simple backing like strumming guitar or even acapella and make sure the vocalist is mixed right on top. Of course you will have to run the mic's for both the vocalist and guitar through maybe one of those $20 Ratshack battery powered mixers and then into the mini plug. I say Ratshack because this is a basic cheap minimal equipment consumer level comparison. A lot of your musician listeners can tell that difference easily. Of course if you just want to compare the vocal track only you can use one of the Biab guitar strum RT's to back the vocalist.

All I'm saying is that's what this forum is all about, doing a consumer type test about copying a prerecorded CD is irrelevant to us.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, when I dove into digital recording, I srated out with onboard audio. Gradually and over time, I kept upgrading to better recording gear (mics/sound interface/mixers, etc). As I've upgraded, my output became better each time after an "equipment upgrade".

This can be proven very easily. If anyone wants to start with my oldest song on Soundclick and work themselves up to the latest song, yoou will be able to tell if I recorded with something cheap or "fancy". I sure know that my ears hear the difference and that alone is reason enough for me to have spent the money I have in decent gear (done spending, though - reached the goal I wanted to reach LOL). Of course, getting better with a mix helps too. But you can't mix crap to make it sound good. Garbage in, garbage out.

So, to my ears, quality recording gear is audible... at least to me. I have no regrets about spending the money I have over time, on the contrary.

Just my humble opinion, FWIW.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by MikeK; 02/29/12 09:56 AM.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
When somebody spends big dough on equipment it HAS to sound better to him.

I've had lower latency with on-board chips than cards, but maybe the cards were too cheap.

Like Paul Simon says "a man hears what he wants to hear".

- Bud
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
jazzmammal - read back to where I said that the on-board MIC inputs are rubbish.

Sorry if you think I wasted your time.

ROG.

ROG #151745 02/29/12 05:47 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The best thing about a forum such as this is that each of us can read the posts, and then decide if we want to participate in a thread. No-one's time is actually wasted, and all participants will have a lively interest in the subject by the very nature of their choice to chip in. Points of view contrary to our own are potentially very valuable, and I have to admit enjoying a bit of controversy on occasion... =]

I take great pleasure in the "low-rent" approach to audio, because it just seems like so much more fun than throwing money around and hoping for the best. Plus, it just ticks me off when I see some company promoting a superfluous bit of software or hardware as "must have" and fabricating all kinds of data to back up its claims.

Some folks love shiny toys with impressive specs and nifty doo-dads attached - and I'm no stranger to this feeling what with the decidedly bourgeois guitars I favour. As long as they know their gear and get the results it promises, I say, go for it!

ROG has submitted an example of a situation where we could more accurately establish the baseline requirements of a particular group of audio chores, and I think this is a worthy discussion. If we have a good grasp of how little we really NEED to accomplish a task, then each of us can decide how much "overkill" we want to indulge in to suit our personal taste.

Oren.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In case anyone else thinks this thread might be irrelevant, please let me take a minute to explain how it came about.

Some of the young people we teach have lots of talent, but no money - they can only dream of some of the equipment lists displayed on this forum. We designed a system for them based on any old single core PC running entry-level Power Tracks, with a $50 mixer connected to the line-in and the line out straight into a domestic hi-fi.

Some of them doubted that such a system could work at all and so the test formed part of a demonstration. Many of them are now producing amazing quality from these systems, but the important thing is that it is enabling them to develop as musicians and composers. This is why I think it's relevant - music should be available to all. If we tell the kids that good results can only be achieved by spending big bucks, we do them a dis-service.

ROG.

ROG #151747 03/01/12 06:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

I don't know where you've been, friend. (Perhaps you've been active on some of the forums I don't frequent.) What I have seen of your writing is among the most cogent, helpful, and even inspiring on these boards. It's great to have you as a contributor. I look forward to more.

I was motivated to write in part because of your previous post in which you mention making good-quality music with less than stellar systems. I am about to replace a 10-year-old homebrewed PC with a monstah a la Bob's (bobcflatpicker) new toy. I believe that my old box is truly over the hill, but what you said is in line with guerilla production at its best. Very encouraging.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Richard - you make me blush!

I've been at this game longer than I care to admit and I've been a Power Tracks enthusiast for over ten years, but I've always avoided forums. I love this forum because it provides genuine help to people and the exchange of views and experience is great. Thanks for your kind comments - it's good to feel part of the team.

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,523
Members38,529
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
William L, gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay
38,528 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173