Print Thread
Go To
#168786 08/04/12 03:03 AM
Off-Topic
MartinB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just read on a thread here Sibelius is in trouble.

This -> comment is pretty much right on the money:
Quote:

To Avid’s Wall St mentality, that is smart business. Run on empty, make your fortune, then leave the carcass behind to hunt for the next pot of gold. Short term thinking that brings on the Harvard High Fives.

Do we have another example of a failure of capitalism, now focussing on cutting down on cultural assets?

Check out -> http://www.sibeliususers.org/?page_id=4&title=take-action

Martin
MartinB #168787 08/04/12 04:46 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Or it just might be an example of what can happoen when not enough people can read music or care about music publishing.

That is called, "supply and demand".

--Mac

MartinB #168788 08/04/12 10:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I did a slow count but have reached my limit, too many let this kind of “stuff” go unchallenged.

Actually that is EXACTLY what capitalism is, and does, and it is GOOD (Gecko was right).

Maybe the Finn twins should not have SOLD it to Avid for $23M on 2 Aug 2006. Even with the confiscator taxes of the UK, those twins should still have a sizable chunk of money in their pockets (unless they blew it all). So if AVID is evil are not the Finns? After all they are part of the 1%’ers now. Or did they give away all that money to charity or to the "arts?" If they did good for them.

"...Avid bought Sibelius in 2006 from its founders Ben and Jonathan Finn. ..."

from Http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/avid-keeps-sibelius/

"...Tewksbury, Mass. August 2, 2006

Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID) today announced that it has acquired Sibelius Software Ltd., for approximately $23 million in cash...."

from http://www.sibelius.com/news/press100.html

Also that was six (6) years ago – I doubt that AVID, or any corp., waited 6 years to "suck it dry" then dump it.

I do support the effort afoot by the USER community to step in and save it from the evil ‘mericans and AVID. Best wishes and best of luck to them, seriously.

I won’t be one however. And no, it is not because I can not read music, I can sight read (fair but NOT middling), but like MOST musicians I have no need to WRITE scores/sheet music; hence, no need for this piece of SW. It would be a nice to have it is not a need to have. Actually BIAB is a NICE to have, not a need to have, but I buy it because I USE it.

No matter HOW good Sibelius is it is a NICHE product used in a very small community (the writers and readers of music are a very tiny fraction of the world wide consumer population) the nobleness of that community not withstanding.

V/r
LArry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Larry Kehl #168789 08/04/12 02:12 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Very well stated, Larry.

"By jove, I think he GETS it!"

--Mac

Mac #168790 08/04/12 06:46 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's the blog I happened to find last week that I mentioned in the other thread.

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2...the-lights.html

After reading post after post of left wing Occupy Wall Street crap I finally threw in a blast to the chops to shake things up. You'll see it about 2/3 of the way down. It seems to have changed the tone somewhat.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #168791 08/05/12 12:32 AM
Off-Topic
MartinB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hm, sure didn’t want to start some sort of flame war here. Not sure whether it’s ok to dub s.th. like the global Occupy movement as left wing crap. ‘Ya know, quite a few of these Wall street honchos definitely crossed a variety of red lines – even legally speaking. Regulatory mistakes such as forfeiting the Glass-Steagall act, say, simply call for corrections. If authorities are not capable to take appropriate action, society is better off supporting grass root movements such as Occupy.

As Mac already mentioned elsewhere, the whole rigmarole might well be related to s.th. like an earlier company decision, viz. Microsoft’s decision to stop development of the MS Flight Simulator. Software Lifecycles are like that at times.

Yet Sibelius plays in a different ballpark than some basically recreational flight simulators. It's more akin to former vivid discussions about Broadway carriers swapping Musical Orchestras for electronic music – for economical reasons. It's directly affecting cultural qualities my friend.

Martin
MartinB #168792 08/05/12 06:24 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Consider that a Flight Simulator program very likely can and does attract a *MUCH* larger user base than would a Music Publishing program, and then try to govern your responses accordingly.

Also consider that, judging from responses on this forum and a few others over the years, it looks to me like quite a few musicians who do want or need a Music Publishing software do indeed have trouble with the purchase price of Sibelius being so high.

As witnessed by the many recommendations and testimonials to other, less expensive Shareware/Freeware options.

That, too, is a good example of the Free Market at work IMO.

--Mac

Mac #168793 08/05/12 06:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As Mac said,

Quote:

Or it just might be an example of what can happen when not enough people can read music or care about music publishing.

That is called, "supply and demand".

Add to that fact that it was a pretty expensive software package. A lot fewer folks can spend money on something like that.

bobcflatpicker #168794 08/05/12 08:41 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I purchased the student version of Sibelius a number of years ago. I was taking lessons at the time. After a number of upgrades and crashes, I was not allowed to register my Sibelius 3.5 ver.. Given the passage of time, I concluded that they might want me to purchase a newer release. Well, I cannot afford $500 for that type of software given the use I would give it. So, I bought PrintMusic for $99 and am quite satisfied with it for my purposes. I think that Sibelius was probably hurt not only by competitors but freeware also. It seems to me that astuteness is necessary for niche markets to survive. FWIW

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,745
Posts736,887
Members38,562
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator
38,562 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187