Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well it all started Saturday morning. I had an early gig, and had to leave at noon, but around 9:00AM I checked my e-mail. I do this daily. I noticed 3 consecutive orders made about an hour ago, so I peeked inside to see what they were.

Great! They are big ones. It's going to be a good week!

Then I noticed they all went to the same person, and that some of the disks were ordered more than once. Not many people buy more than one disk of the same title from me. And when they do, it's usually to give a copy to a friend or band-mate (thanks to those who are honest). So something is fishy here.

So I look, they are all from the same person in Texas.

The Authorization company checks the web entry automatically, if the card data matches, the computer approves the customer's instant download and then sends me a copy of the order with the card number deleted. They do include the authorization codes though. Name, address, zip code, expiration date, and security code all gave "matched" code. Then I notice they went to an e-mail address in Russia. Hmmm a guy in Texas but a Russian e-mail address. Something is even fishier here.

I check, he isn't in my database, he never ordered from me or inquired about my products in the past.

So I pick up the phone to call the customer. I figured I should be a good guy and warn him, letting him know that if he didn't place the order, he had better call his credit card company. (I would want someone to do that for me if the situation had been reversed). The phone isn't answered and the message says that the voice-mail hasn't been activated yet. The plot thickens. Obviously a new phone.

So I go to my webhost control panel, notice all the disks have been downloaded, so I cancel the password and username used on the order. If the order is legitimate, he has the software already, if it is not, posting the URL, username, and password on the net won't do any good.

I don't download customer's credit card, I don't want the card numbers on my computer. Although I'm very careful, I know a good hacker is better than I am so if they aren't on my computer, nobody can get them. I also let them expire on the shopping cart's secure server when no longer needed. So I go to the secure shopping cart control panel, check the "whois" of the ISP and it is indeed in Russia, but to a private name, not a commercial host, and I write the credit card number on a scrap of paper so I can report it. (It's since been shredded).

I figure I should be a good guy again and call the credit card authorization company. They tell me to call my Visa/MC Merchant's Account provider.

I call the Merchant's Account and they are clueless. They say call the issuing bank. I ask for the bank and phone number and they say it is the USAA bank and give me a phone number - which when I call is inoperative. I think it's been re-routed as the grammar in the phone message was poor.

Meanwhile I assume they went back to my website, with a new credit card, new address, and g-mail e-mail and ordered and downloaded the disks they didn't get the first time. Quickly I went to the control panel, noticed they have been downloaded already so I cancelled the username and password.

No time to call the banks with the new number, it's time to get ready to go to the gig. When I got home from the gig, I checked, no more action, they got what they wanted.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I get a call from my Merchant's Account letting me know that there is a fraud alert on that credit card. The money will be taken out of my account - it was nice having it there for a few days, but I knew better than to count on keeping it.

The thief or thieves are obviously pros. Doing this on a Saturday morning, opening a new phone number for the customer so I can't call him, and doing something so that I can't call the issuing bank.

So I ask? Why go through all that trouble to steal my disks? They are not really a great resale item. After all musicians are a niche of the general public ... musicians who use computers are a niche of musicians ... musicians who use auto-accompaniment software (including arranger keyboards) are a niche of musicians who use computers ... musicians who use Band-in-a-Box are a niche of musicians who use auto-accompaniment software ... and musicians who buy Norton Music style and fake disks are a niche of people who use Band-in-a-Box. So they aren't going to get rich by stealing my stuff and re-selling it. I'm not getting rich by selling it.

Wouldn't they be able to make more money downloading things that sell to the general public? The risk/benefit ratio of reselling something that is a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche must not be very good and probably not worth the effort of all that hacking, phone account manipulation and bank phone blocking on a Saturday morning. So they must have wanted my style disks and fake disks very badly for their own personal use.

I've learned long ago that it isn't worth it to lose sleep over people stealing my styles. I don't like software piracy, I don't like it if someone gives a copy to a band-mate or friend without purchasing another one, but I know that I can't stop that.

So I guess I should be flattered that someone went to all that trouble just to steal my styles.

Notes
----♫----
Bob "Notes" Norton Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
Band-in-a-Box 100% MIDI-Super-User-Styles with live entered parts by pro studio/gigging musicians for that live musician feel -- for those of you who can hear the difference.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nothing new. They were testing the cards and the limits. There will be other transactions.

This has happened to my cards twice. Both times they were swiped at stores, big chain stores, but some one put a device on them, he worked on the cleaning crew. Then he took them off, and the fun began.

At first I got 500 bucks in my account. I checked and it seemed so wrong, they used an account I use once a month, and it gets ONE pension cheque from the Feds. No other deposits. The cash goes out the next day on groceries, and what's left applied to cards.

Then I notify the bank, the next day they withdraw the 500 bucks. They told me that the deposit was to test my account, and then the same people would clean it out. Nipped in the bud so to speak.

In the end, don't spend cash that you don't really have, because they are going to take it back. Just as you said. Fishing for bigger accounts, when they take back the 500, later they go for more.

I changed accounts after that. But the fraud was happening at 3 chain grocery stores and 2 big pharmacies in town where this guy worked. He quit after taking the devices out, and left for parts unknown.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm wondering if they were just doing purchases to try and hack into a database to get other folks' credit card and financial info.

There have been 3 times when someone tried to commit fraud using my credit card. Each time it was caught by the bank security people. Yes, they put a hold on my account and if you are out shopping that can be a hassle. However, they notified me via email and phone right away. They issued a new card which was sent to me overnight. I thanked them for their vigilance. So they thanked me since others were really angry that their cards got frozen. Go figure.

I hope that's the end of this problem for you, Bob.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I feel most sorry for the person who had their card info stolen. Who knows what else they bought with their card. I'm out money that I really never had, the thieves have software that isn't going to do them much good, but the poor person with Identity Theft is in for a frustrating ride. That's why I tried to help.

I'm sure the cardholder won't be liable for the charges, but he is going to have new cards issued, police reports filed, and lots of additional forms to file. Plus he will worry about his other accounts if he has them.

Whenever I do something irregular with my credit card, the fraud department calls me. So I know if I am going to travel out of town, I should call the issuing bank first and let them know when and where I am going. I call them when I'm back too, so they know when to not authorize any more 'foreign' transactions.

I also use one card for Internet transactions and nothing else. It makes it easy to keep tabs on. I treat it as a cash card, paying the balance every month, so I don't have to pay interest on the card. The bank knows my usual purchases and the types of things I buy. So if something is out of line, again, they call me.

I also don't do debit cards. I don't keep much in the bank, but if they steal your debit card info, they can clean out your account and you are out the money. Credit cards are safer, as most have zero liability. If you use them as if they were a cash card, and pay them off every month, you won't have to pay any interest, just the annual fee (if any).

Since my products are a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche products, the thieves have left me alone until now. I'll keep tabs on it.

I hope the guy in Texas isn't too bruised by the affair.

Notes
----♫----
Your one-stop shop for the best BiaB aftermarket products in the world ... from acclaimed musicians like Bob "Notes" Norton, David Bailey, Roy Hawksford, Sherry Mayrent and Jim Wedd - Enjoyed by musicians in over 100 different countries on this planet!

Last edited by Notes Norton; 09/13/12 09:46 AM.
Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Excellent advice about the debit card. I use mine ONLY at a branch of my bank--nowhere else, and certainly never online.

I use Paypal, but the purchases are billed to one of my credit cards for safety.

I'm not trying to blame anyone about this, but shortly after I bought a BIAB update over the phone a few years ago, an $11,000.00 charge was made to my Amex business card for a Canadian football [soccer] camp. 11k bucks is WAY outside my usual buying habits, so the card folks called me and let me know to confirm, which I did not. They began an investigation and issued me a new card. I find that using a safe online service is safer than talking to a person. And, as I said, I always use a credit card.

It's amazing and very sad to see how many online crooks there are out there.

Eternal vigilance is required.

Fire, the wheel, and the I IV V -- foundations of civilization.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Notes, on a lighter 'note': If you hadn't already sold to someone in Russia, you add another country to your tag-line of your posts!

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Notes -- Be on the lookout for someone posting your software for sale or for free somewhere on the 'net...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Notes -- Be on the lookout for someone posting your software for sale or for free somewhere on the 'net...

--Mac

Its for free than I would be worried about, plus the fact that they will probably stick a trojan in it somehwere to gain access to a persons computer.

Musiclover

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Or maybe you just have Odessa Russia confused with Odessa Texas..... возможно?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes might get to play Whack-a-Mole. It's fun, for about ten seconds.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I call the Merchant's Account and they are clueless. They say call the issuing bank. I ask for the bank and phone number and they say it is the USAA bank and give me a phone number - which when I call is inoperative. I think it's been re-routed as the grammar in the phone message was poor.

This really concerns me. Thanks for posting this. If the merchant account can't verify the bank (or is viewing hacked info while trying to do so) this is not good. Every ecommerce site I've ever done involved multiple checks on banking info.
I'm gonna PM ya on this.

/sorry, used wrong reply button a minute ago ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, on-line sales the sale goes through an authorization company. They verify if the card number, expiration date, security code, address, and zip code match the issuing card. They also check to see if the card has been flagged (fraud, lost, etc.). If it's been flagged, they won't authorize. But if it hasn't been flagged yet, they are not responsible. It's play by our rules or you don't get instant authorization on-line. They charge a small fee for this service, which I suspect I will lose.

But the thieves work fast and charge as much as they can before anyone notices and flags the account.

After authorization the computer sends a signal back to my shopping cart, and the cart software redirects the customer to the page where he/she can download the software and assigns a username and a password from the group I provide (and frequently change).

Meanwhile it goes to my Visa/MC merchant's account provider. They do nothing but charge another percentage and then deposit it into my account. Since the percentage goes by monthly sales, I suppose this will even out.

They are not responsible either. Again, if you want a Visa/MC merchant's account, you will have to play by their rules.

And the bank isn't responsible either. But after so many deposits per month, they start charging me to put money in the bank.

After the charges, the shopping cart rental, the magazine ads, the hiked up insurance because I'm running a business from my home, the county taxing my computers, musical instruments, business furniture, and everything else I use to make a living with, it's a wonder I make any money at this at all. And the money I do make, I pay 15% unemployment tax on and then my income taxes on top of that (I'm definitely in the 99% <grin>). I call all these leeches, my silent partners.

And the bank I use made billions of dollars in profits, but thanks to the generous tax cuts provided to them they haven't paid any federal tax in years, not one cent, not one penny. They are obviously in the 1%

As Mayer Amschel Rothschild once said, "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." No matter who gets elected, the banks are running the show. They even financed both sides of most wars. The victor pays all the interest.

Fortunately I didn't purchase any products for resale and spend money on shipping. If I had purchased music books at wholesale and paid to ship them I would have lost out-of-pocket money on the deal. Instead, if the software is shared or sold to other people who would have bought it from me, I'm only out future revenue, which isn't good, but not as bad.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

--Mac

Its for free than I would be worried about, plus the fact that they will probably stick a trojan in it somehwere to gain access to a persons computer.

Musiclover

I've read about this on-line and in a computer trade magazine.

In on case, someone downloaded a music file from a site like Kazaa (before they went legit) and then gave it to a friend. A certain date came around (I forget) and both their hard drives got reformatted. The friend sued the one who gave him the file. I don't know who won the suit.

It's a good reason to get your software from trusted sources. Even your best friend might have gotten a file with a trojan on it.

Human nature is not very nice. Despite all the religions and laws telling us to be good to each other, people steal from, kill, and abuse each other. Sure there are nice people out here who suppress the "dog eat dog" instinct, but that often just makes us victims.

"Do unto others" has been around at least since Plato (probably before but he wrote it down) but all to many people don't abide by that rule.

Notes

----♫----
Add-on Super-MIDI styles recommended by major music trade publications and musicians from all over the world!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

In on case, someone downloaded a music file from a site like Kazaa (before they went legit) and then gave it to a friend. A certain date came around (I forget) and both their hard drives got reformatted. The friend sued the one who gave him the file. I don't know who won the suit.

Notes

Anyone who gets pirated software deserves everything they get!

Just my thoughts

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I got a surprise call once from my bank's fraud unit to ask me if a had done a 2 cent charge. Some crooks try that approach thinking that if the amount is very small, no will will check. However, at my bank that's a red flag.

Bob thats a good idea to let your bank know when you travel. The last time I called, this past May, they aske for my complete itinerary. Its also good not to use your debit card on line or over the phone. I only use mine at atm machines.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I shredded my debit card. Never used it.

I have a credit card that I use as if it were a debit card - I pay off the balance every month. I use it for everything I can that I would ordinarily pay cash for, groceries, gas, and so on.

I get frequent flyer miles on the card. When you get enough miles, you get almost free flights, all you have to pay is the airport tax (and extra luggage or whatever).

I flew to Alaska for $14, England for $32 and Hungary for less than $60.

The trick is to never carry a balance, as the interest rate on those affinity cards is very high.

I've also read stories about thieves putting card readers in ATM machines and pinhole cameras to record your PIN number. Truth or urban legend? I don't know and never pursued it since I don't do debit cards, and if they get my credit card info, I'm not liable.

I have had any more multi-thousand dollar orders from Russia or anywhere else. Just the normal small to moderate sales. Too bad the big one got away

With all this ID theft going around, I chose my shopping cart because they have the best security record in the business, and they allow me to delete my customer's credit card numbers from their server when I feel there is no longer a chance for a problem. Since I hired the Internet Authorization company, there is no need for me to see the customer's credit card number, unless there is a problem, so I don't download them. That way if one of my customers has the problem, I know it didn't come from me. If all Internet merchants did the same, it might help a little.

But then, the crooks will only figure out another way to do it.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I've also read stories about thieves putting card readers in ATM machines and pinhole cameras to record your PIN number. Truth or urban legend?

Notes

Truth.

The devices are called skimmers and they fit over the real scanner. Always check for loose-fitting slots and mismatched colors and styles.

A pinhole camera is only one way to capture pins; binoculars is another. Always cover the keyboard with your other had when keying in a pin.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Those are good tips. Some online vendors want you to set up an account so they can keep all of your date on file. If I buy something and encounter that requirement at checkout, I just close the window. I do have probably 3 accounts at some select places that I trust and have been dealing with for many years but I refuse to open any more.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

If I buy something and encounter that requirement at checkout, I just close the window.

Same here, and I am doing the same thing about phone numbers, why would a free download what my phone number?

We also have one bank account JUST FOR the internet, PayPal, etc etc. It is also not connected in any way to any other account, and is, as a matte of fact, at a totally separate bank. Been doing this for years now...

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Also cut down on the spam by never supplying a correct address or phone if you MUST fill something out for a download.

Give them jim@jim.com and 234-567-8901 as the phone. Let jim@jim.com get the spam....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Happy Victoria Day! (Monday, May 20th)

We are celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 20th!

Our availability through this long weekend is:

Saturday, May 18: Closed
Sunday, May 19: Closed
Monday, May 22: 6am-6pm PT

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,805
Posts737,491
Members38,589
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
xristos69, Eliana Davis, Nao incomodem mais, minimashi, EricQP
38,588 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 161