Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have recently purchased a new computer with W7 pro; and 8gb memory and quad processor etc. so I have a reasonable spec. these days.

If I purchase the 2013 BIAB mega pak upgrade which includes all the real track and drums can I expect this to play with the Tyros 2.

In the past I used to play midi with the performance playing through the Tyros speakers but could never seem to get satisfaction trying to play the realtracks and drums. (lock ups etc.)

What cabling is required from PC to tyros apart from the host cable at present installed?

BTW w7 is 64 bit any problem?

Last edited by devonplayer; 12/21/12 01:52 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB runs fine in Windows 7 64-bit, as long as you have drivers for each piece of equipment.

I don't know about your Tyros.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I can confirm that your computer and W7x64 will be fine, but as Matt said, you need to be sure that your drivers are up to date and W7 compatible. Check with your gear's websites to confirm. I had no issues with any of my gear even those some is quite old, but the manufacturer's had updated drivers that I downloaded and installed.

Also, check out the video of BIAB and the Tyros on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7vucwldHvU

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for confirmation of the program's capabilities.

However have I got to purchase a soft synth for the audio part to play properly through the tyros speakers. I do not have a soft synth and it appears pgmusic want another $40?

Veteran
Veteran
Coyote Forte is an excellent bargain for $40. Some commercial soft synths can cost hundreds or even thousands. And if you buy version 2013, BIAB now contains a starter kit for SampleTank, one of those 'hundreds' soft synths.

I'm just guessing, but some reasons that PG Music might not provide a full commercial grade soft synth that would increase the base price are:

1. someone may already own one or more
2. someone (like me) may already have a hardware synth

You might enjoy visiting the Dare to Compare page on this website.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Doesn't my Tyros 2 (yamaha) perform as the hardware synth?

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

However have I got to purchase a soft synth for the audio part to play properly through the tyros speakers. I do not have a soft synth and it appears pgmusic want another $40?

Your Tyros is GM compatible which means you already have a good synth to work with Biab generated midi tracks. There's two ways to set it up, first your Tyros handles midi through it's USB connector to your computer. This is where drivers come in. Go onto Yamaha's website to their support page and see if there's a 64 bit driver for it. For my Roland Sonic Cell, they have a 64 bit Vista driver which works fine. If Yamaha doesn't have a 64 bit driver then the second way is to use an interface. The Tyros plugs into the interface via USB and it's the interface that needs the 64 bit driver and all of them have that. Hmmm, I just looked it up and it appears the last driver update was in 2004 for Win 98. If that's true then you need an interface. In addition to USB your Tyros also has standard midi plug connectors so any midi interface will work if USB doesn't. With older keyboards using regular midi cables may be best anyway.

Once the Tyros is set up inside your computer then Biab is "playing" the sounds inside your Tyros and you'll hear everything through the built in speakers.

This is just for midi, Real Tracks/Drums are a different story. Those are audio files and from looking at the specs the Tyros 2 has no ability to receive outside audio and play it. The newer Tyros versions probably can do that but not your older 2. In order to hear midi from your Tyros and RT's from Biab you need a mixer to route the audio outputs from your Tyros and the audio outputs from your PC to your studio monitors.

A softsynth is what you would need to have to keep everything in your PC, the softsynth plays the midi and the RT's the audio and your internal PC mixer handles it and the combined sound goes out to your speakers. But, this is the confusing part, that output is now audio not midi so you can't use your Tyros speakers for that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Many thanks Bob.

So I download a trial version of a soft synth. and give that a whiz as suggested in the last paragraph of advice above before I plunge into 2013.
I think I saw something on the last pgmusic sale offer?

(upgrading to Tyros4 involves around $3500 expense!)

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I downloaded the Coyote trial version of software synth (30 day)and it plays satisfactorly with my PC (w7 64 bit)

However as you say Bob it shuts down if I try to combine it with the Tyros 2.

So my preference is to use midi GM to play through the Tyros speakers and perform with the BIAB score at the same time.

This then means the Real Tracks and Drum software is only playable using PC and no midi with Tyros.

No point in me upgrading to later biab versions unless sometime in the future I upgrade my keyboard?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
What you really need, devonplayer, is a good aftermarket Sound Device or Soundcard, with Line Inputs for the Audio Out of the Tyros2. A small mixer may also come in handy here, placed between the Tyros Audio Outputs and the Line Input, that way you can hook up a mic to one of the mixer inputs, The Tyros to another, etc.

You would also need a better speaker monitoring system than what comes with the PCs in general. There are lots of "nearfield monitors" both powered and unpowered if you have an audio power amp suitable, that should be used.

The MIDI out of the PC from BiaB attaches to the MIDI In of the Tyros and BiaB is directed to send all MIDI data that direction from inside the MIDI/Audio output window found under the BB Options menu.

The Realtracks/Realdrums will be sent to that aftermarket sound device internally in the PC, while the sounds that the Tyros2's MIDI synth generate will be mixed in via the Line Input of the sound device at the same time.

This way, you can enjoy the rather spectacular sounds of the Tyros' MIDI synth mixed with the Realtracks/Realdrums and all coming out of one speaker system.

I'm rather surprised to read that your Tyros2 does not have a stereo Audio Input on it. You may want to recheck that in the manual, for if it does, you can simply connect the LINE output or Earphone output of your PC to the Audio Input of the keybpoard and should be able to hear both MIDI from the keyboard and Realtracks from BB through the keyboard's speaker system.

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
devonplayer, I just viewed the .pdf manual for the Tyros 2, available on the Yamaha website.

This keyboard does indeed have a Stereo Line Input on it.

You can connect the L and R audio outputs of your computer, either from Line Out if desktop or if laptop, use the Earphone jack as Line Out, and, using the proper adaptor plugs and cabling to suit, hear both the MIDI and Realtracks coming from the Tyros 2 speakers.

--Mac

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

In the past I used to play midi with the performance playing through the Tyros speakers but could never seem to get satisfaction trying to play the realtracks and drums. (lock ups etc.)

What cabling is required from PC to tyros apart from the host cable at present installed?

BTW w7 is 64 bit any problem?

I'm thinking you should be able to get this going.

As far as the audio part goes, just run some audio cables from your sound card to the aux inputs on your Tyros. Playback from most computer audio cards isn't that bad, it's the inputs that suffer a little.

As far as midi goes, your usb connection should work for that. Download the MEGAEnhancer V1.3.2 for Win (XP 32-bit / Vista 32-bit / Win7 32-bit, 64-bit) and see if you can get it going.

Post back with any problems and we'll try to help search out an answer for you.

Also, just in case you didn't know, Sampletank free comes with biab2013. It's identical to the paid version except for the sound libraries. Also, eSoundz has Omnisynth 2 (gm set for Sampletank) on sale for $10. I have Omnisynth 2, and it's easily on par with the gm set in your Tyros. It's gm except for channel 10 drums. I usually just use realdrums, or manually load drums in Sampletank.

The reason I like to have a soft synth in biab is for rendering. If you use midi to an outboard device you have to play the song through, recording the audio as it plays. With a soft synth it renders the file at high speed without playback.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Edit: I see Mac posted while I was typing this. :>) I'm slow.
I also wanted to add a reminder that you're not stuck with just the gm set in your Tyros, as you can use any voice in it. Just use the gm set to get the arrangement going, then manually set a better voice for recording. So you really don't need a soft synth unless you'd just like one for the convenience.

Last edited by jim111; 12/22/12 01:24 PM.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
You members have convinced me with your advice and thanks for the time freely given with your posts above.

I will place an order for 2013 biab upgrade with pgmusic on the basis of info. above.

So sometime in the new year I will hopefully be sending another post of thanks.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
cakewalk Instrument Definitions for YAMAHA PSR-8000, PSR-9000, Tyros, Tyros 2, Tyros 3, Tyros 4, PRS-S700 and PSR-S900

http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php...1&Itemid=58

How to convert a PowerTracks or RealBand .ini file, or Cakewalk .ins file, to a Band-in-a-Box patch map (.pat file)

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbwpatchmap.htm#convert

once the cakewalk Instrument Definition file is converted to a BIAB pat file you can use the non Gm sounds in your Tyros 2 if you like

How to access higher bank patches other than the basic General MIDI patches
http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbwpatchmap.htm#higherbanks

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks boemike for giving your time and expertise on this very involved subject, So does that mean that a soft synth is not a necessity?

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK folks. I have got the audio leads and connected up to my W7/64 bit quad core PC and installed my real tracks and drums from my 2008 version together with the Coyote trial download.

Yes I have got results, the ~Tyros 2 plays the demo music at real tracks and drums. Also lets me play midi to accompany, (I am not sure if my tyros keyboard is playing the midi through the coyote synth or the #GM voices?)

Problems so far;

I have to pull out my PC speaker plug (which is stero) and insert the tyros audio leads which is a nuiance, (is there a way of splitting from the PC socket to accommodate both?)

I also have a second computer adjacent which is the previous XP pro and is handy because leads could stay in permanently etc. However the XP computer cannot cope with the audio (in my opinion) its keeps locking up which it did previously and the reason I never progressed beyond biab 2008 for audio.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

......I have to pull out my PC speaker plug (which is stero) and insert the tyros audio leads which is a nuiance, (is there a way of splitting from the PC socket to accommodate both?).......

The best way I know of is to have a small mixer. Come out of the pc to the mixer, then take the main outputs of the mixer to your speakers. Feed the T2 with the aux outputs from the mixer. (They may be called something else, such as tape out.)

Veteran
Veteran

When we say that a synth is GM compatible, it means that there is a basic set of instruments in the Tyros that will be triggered by default when BiaB sends instructions to it. Those instruments sound pretty good, but there are many other sets of instruments in the Tyros that will sound even better. The "Live" and 'Sweet" voices, for instance, are over and above the GM set. You can access these from BiaB with a bit of programming.

Here is an example: On my Yamaha, the "Live" piano is voice #1, MSB 000, LSB 113. When I tell BiaB to call these numbers, the "Live" piano is what I hear.

Look in the back of your Tyros manual to see the codes and numbers for all the voices the Tyros has.

Then get the patchmap that PGHBOEMIKE sent you installed in BiaB and figured out. When you have these working, you will get sounds out of the Tyros that beat any soft synth.

There is a learning curve to all this, but I promise you it will be worth it.

(All these instructions are digital code in the language called 'MIDI.' They are communicated using a USB cable from the computer to the Tyros. The realtracks are Audio, not digital, not MIDI, and require the audio connections described by others above.)

Last edited by flatfoot; 12/25/12 07:17 PM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
CORRECTION: The patchmap that lets BiaB call the higher patches of the Tyros is already installed in BiaB. Click the tiny plus sign next to the Volume setting window in BiaB to get it set up.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Flatfoot.

I have found the plus sign and it leads me to the dialogue box and those I assume xg voices but when I select a voice from the list it appears at the instument box in biab but as soon as the play button is touched it reverts back to its original voice saved in my music files.

My Tyros I have set to midi etc. and that is not performing an oboe voice either which had been set at biab.,

So can you tell me where I am going astray, I assume I have to load something more to biab? It is not sending any message to the tyros

Last edited by devonplayer; 12/26/12 12:50 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,694
Posts736,129
Members38,543
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG, hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr
38,542 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 174