Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I only very occasionally pop-up here with a question and request for advice.
It relates to back-up tracks and relates to a forum discussion on www.banjohangout.com.

Here's the situation: When I download the mp3 back-up track from beckyboy's list on banjohangout.com and import it into BIAB, it comes up as Bluegrass 101 and plays in boring midi. I don't get the RealTracks sound.
When I load one of Dave Marshall's BIAB files which are all in 5String.sty, and try and convert them to one of the Bluegrass Styles with RealTracks on my system, it doesn't sound anything like beckyboy's quality mp3 sound that I get when I play it direct from his mp3 file.

So by deduction, there may be a difference between my 2009.5 BIAB and my RealTracks sets and what version you and others may have (2011 & 2012). Alternatively, Dave Marshall's files may have been upgraded since I downloaded them three years ago. And, maybe I may need to un-install and re-load BIAB?

I've previously found the BIAB forum helpful. I may try a post there to see if I can understand the problem I have.

I have RealTraks set 8 (Country Folk), RealTraks Set 11 (All Bluegrass (Rhythm), RealTraks Set 12 (All Bluegrass Solos) and RealTraks Set 33 (Bluegrass Medium Tempo).

I've had a love/hate relationship with BIAB because of it's apparent complexities. Now there's maybe a glimmer of hope.

Your thoughts and any further advice much appreciated.

Harry

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Perhaps you could provide a link to this MP3, and someone here might be able to recognize the RealTracks used.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Blake,

Thank you for your interest in solving this mystery.

Two options: I can send you the mp3 to a personal email address or, follow this link:

www.banjohangout.org
|___Forums
|___Forums Home
|___Playing advice (Bluegrass Scruggs Style)
|___Backing Tracks (currently item #11 on the Topic List)
|___Page 1 of 18

There are several mp3's on this and the following 17 pages, but if we use the example right at the bottom of page 1 posted by: Beckyboy and dated 11/03/2011 entitled "Old Home Place" mp3 Backing Track - BIAB - Real Band.

The link is listed as: http://www.banjohangout.org/topic/218356.

The other information I have in playing the mp3 is BIAB will not save Style and no chord changes are shown.

Your thoughts requested.

Thank you.

Harry

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Harry,

**Band in a Box cannot show chords when an mp3 file of any kind is simply loaded to play because an mp3 file contains no chord data.**

**The ACW Chord Wizard can be used on a loaded mp3 file to extrapolate the chords from the mp3 file. This process is delineated in the BB Help files as well as in the BB FAQs and takes a bit of user intervention in order to have that happen.**

**There will also be no Style loaded with just an mp3 file, for the mp3 file does not contain any data about Band in a Box style files.**

While it is possible to take an mp3 file and "get" the chords using the ACW, you would have to pick an appropriate Style or Realtracks picked one at a time to build your Band in a Box Automatic Accompaniment songfile. This songfile will not be able to exactly duplicate the various lines and hooks that may exist in the original mp3 file, but will generate accompaniment and/or soloists according to the music recorded in the raw Realtracks files.

--Mac

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Harry:

I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Perhaps you could ask "beckyboy" if he would just post his original BIAB files somewhere that you could download from. Then (providing you have all the same RealTracks) you could use them in their original format.

2. If that's not possible, the 2013 version of BIAB allows you to play an MP3 file as part of a normal BIAB song file, by using the "Performance" function, as stated by Peter (see his comment below)

I've tried the process and it works, mostly the way Mac described it. You open BIAB then use the ACW to get the chords. Then you use the Performance feature to have BIAB play the MP3 file, while highlighting the chords in the chord grid, as with a normal BIAB file.

Good luck!
LLOYD
Peter's comment from an earlier thread:

If you want to use a compressed file in a BB song, you can do that, using BiaB 2013 "Audio Performance Track" feature.

If you have My Song.sgu

and you call your mp3 file
My Song Soloist.mp3

then it will get loaded to the Soloist track, and will play along with the song.

This doesn't work for the audio track. In the case of the audio track, you can have My Song.mp3, and that will play, but it will create My Song.wav (just the first time, not every time). The reason for that is that My Song.wav is now editable, since the audio track is editable.

harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you gentlemen.
I now understand the problem and I will follow your suggestions.
Your prompt reply is very much appreciated.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

Thank you gentlemen.
I now understand the problem and I will follow your suggestions.
Your prompt reply is very much appreciated.

Please post your workaround when you do it, so we can see your final results.. did you get in touch with BeckyBoy to post his SGU files??

harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A few years later, and I'm still no further forward in finding a suitable Bluegrass Backing Track "Style".
I have 2009.5 with Real Tracks 11 (All Bluegrass (Rhythm)), 12 (All Bluegrass (Solos)), and 33 (Bluegrass (Medium Tempo) and a heap of tunes in BIAB format. They're Midi's and "tinny" and need a Real Track format.

It has been suggested that _BLUGRAS.STY is what I should use as per the links below.

Any suggestions to where to locate this style?
I can't find it.

Here is a link to the sound/style I'm trying to achieve:

https://soundcloud.com/fiddlinsteudel/sets
https://soundcloud.com/fiddlinsteudel2/sets
https://soundcloud.com/fiddlinsteudel3/sets

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Harry

J
Expert
Expert
J
I do not see that particular style in my directory either and I have everything that PG Music has put out for BIAB up to and including today's patch.

You sure you spelled it correctly?

All styles should be, by default, in your BB directory.

Here are the styles I have that come close to your spelling using the filter _blug*.sty. Perhaps it is one of these instead.

_BLUG2BT.STY
_BLUGRGS.STY
_BLUGRSF.STY
_BLUGRSM.STY
=BLUGR_E.STY
=BLUGR_S.STY
=BLUG_ES.STY

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for this jcland. I will check.

This is the link to the mp3 that is the Real Tracks sound I am trying to achieve:

https://soundcloud.com/fiddlinsteudel/sets
120bpm in Cherokee Shuffle Backup Tracks

On my Style List (with Real Tracks discs 11,12 and 33 installed), I have:

BG_Band Ev16 165 Straight Ahead Bluegrass (130RS)
BG_BDBS Ev16 165 Banjo Solo (130RS)
BG_BDFS Ev16 165 Fiddle Solo (130RS)
BG_BDGS Ev16 165 Ac Guitar Solo (130RS)
BG_BDMS Ev16 165 Mandolin Solo (130RS)
BG_BNJR Ev8 100 Bluegrass Pop (100RS)
BG_FDM_F Ev8 100 Driving Bluegrass (100RS)
BGM_BNJ Ev8 100 Med Temp BlueGrass w/Ban (100RS)
BGMA_B Ev8 100 Med Temp Bluegrass (100RS)
FIDRHYT Ev8 100 Driving Bluegrass (100RS)
BAG_BBG Ev16 120 Straight Ahead Bluegrass (130RT)
BANJ&MAN Sw16 130 Banjo and Mandolin Sw 16th's (130RT)
BG101_D Ev16 165 BG101 w/drums Unplugged (130RT)
BG_BOOGIE Ev16 80 Bluegrass Boogie Unplugged (130RT)
BGAS101 Ev16 165 BG101 Unplugged (130RT)
BG_WALTZW Sw8 130 Bluegrass Waltz Unplugged
BG_WALTZD W Sw8 130 Bluegrass Waltz W/drums Unplugged
BL_GRASS1 Sw16 125 Bluegrass1 Soundtrack

What "Style" or system tweaks matches the mp3?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thank you.

J
Expert
Expert
J
The style playing on the link you provided sounds exactly like this one.

_BG_BAND.STY Straight-ahead Bluegrass(130 RS)
All RealTracks! Acoustic Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Acoustic Guitar, and Fiddle
Rhythm parts. T=100-160 (Ac.Bass, Mandolin, Banjo, Ac.Guitar, Fiddle)

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks jcland.
I've got the Style. I just need to know how to use it..!! :-))

J
Expert
Expert
J
Hhrryt8, there seems to be some confusion on what exactly your problem is. Is this a correct assumption on my part?

1. You have BIAB 2009.5 with RT's 11, 12 & 33 installed. You also have the patch that will update 2009.5 to build 288.

2. You are asking how to use _BG_BAND.STY Straight-ahead Bluegrass(130 RS) style in your version of BIAB.

If this is correct, I need you to do this:

1. Start BIAB
2. Go to your style picker and choose _BG_BAND Straight-ahead Bluegrass (130 RS) as your style. It may be preceded with an * in the style picker. No big deal. You need to highlight that style with your mouse.
3. Once it is highlighted with your mouse, click on Load Song Demo. You should see the song load in the background and you will see the measures populate with chords.
4. Click on OK and your style picker screen will go away. Your resulting song should be titled Swampy Blues - Bgrass101.sty demo - - and should be 16 measures long.
5.Click on Play and the song should generate without any problems and you should hear it play as a RealTrack, not a midi. Your Bass, Piano, Guitar and Strings tracks at the top left of the screen should be GREEN (denoting RealTracks) and the Drums will be Yellow (denoting MIDI)

I also need to add that this 'experiment' was done on my end using BIAB 2009.5, the same version you are using.

Let me know if this is what you achieved.

Last edited by jcland; 12/23/14 05:45 AM.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
harryt8 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks jcland.
I'm away from home at the moment. Back in a few days and will experiment.
My problem is not loading that style. It was what style to use (which you've very kindly identified).
However your instructions are much clearer and are a much more precise and informative guide about how to use this particular aspect of the program.
Thank you so much.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,258
Members38,548
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB
38,548 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181