Print Thread
Go To
#209849 07/18/13 03:34 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi all,
I just puchased BIAB and went through the install etc. I am having a great deal of difficulty getting either BIAB or Realband to output any decent kind of volume levels. This is happening to audio, midi and dxi synths (ie CoyoteWT). Its almost to the point of being unusable. I have to crank the pc's system mixer to bust to get any kind of volume out of these programs and out of my speakers.
As an example I have some audio ( wavs & mp3) which I previously recorded and I know to be optimized to near 0db. In windows media player or vlc player they play just fine at a good volume level and without cranking the speakers. When I import these files into BIAB or Realband I can hardly hear them on playback even though the pc's mixer/speakers volume level hasn't been changed. I can max out the BIAB mixer and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I've done a search here on the forum and discovered some references to adjusting individual program volumes with the system mixer but that's limited to what the system speakers can do.

I'm using windows 8 and biab2013 on a laptop. I had previously posted another message indicating that the problem may be in the laptop output and speakers but I have now checked the sound output with both headphones and external speakers and see a definite difference in volume levels between biab and realband compared to other programs playing the same file. Its a huge difference.
I'm a novice and just don't know where to go on this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Are there any types of ini files or such where this can be adjusted?
Thanks!

Terry

Last edited by nichollstj; 07/18/13 05:28 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Terry,

This is a most unusual problem. It's certainly not how BIAB normally works. BIAB is not meant to be playback software for audio files like Windows Media Player. It can do this but it's not its primary function.

I'd suggest that you don't load any wav or mp3 files into BIAB or RB until we get it all going and the volumes organised. That will help us narrow the problem down.

Have you tried generating songs in BIAB? That is, typing in some chords, selecting a style and then hitting "GenPlay" green arrow?

Also, to check the Windows sound volumes ...

1. Start up BIAB.

2. When BIAB has started, click on the speaker icon next to the clock on the task bar (lower right of the screen).

2. Click on "Mixer" (#1 in image below).

3. Adjust the individual volumes of programs (#2).

Hope this helps,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 07/19/13 04:26 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Terry,

are you running the audio out thru a USB audio interface? Or thru the laptop's built-in speakers? I run BIAB from a laptop, and it seems to work best when I send output to the same device I use for input... which in my case is a Focusrite Scarlett (and from there to powered speakers.)

I'm not at my music computer at the moment so I can't remember step by step instructions to the audio setup ... but it is in the audio setup that you select audio drivers (which would include the drivers for your laptops built-in speakers or any other audio drivers that may be installed)

When I have dramatically different audio results between programs its usually because I'm using different audio drivers in the programs.

Veteran
Veteran
I would call PG Music Tech support at this point. There is a whole world of possible solutions to this problem. Could be in any one of a number of components involved in generating sound from BiaB. Better to have somebody on the phone who can tell you to try different things until you find the problem.

You will find that the tech support people are awfully good at this. They help people get up and running all day long. The quality of user support PG provides is outstanding. I have been gratified to know that I am working with an outstanding company every time I call.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Yes I've played with the mixer Noel. The applications seem closely tied to the main mixer volume output. Changing the application volume will change the main mixer as well. I can never exceed the volume of the main but I can make the application volume lower than the main. I want to go the other way. Esp. biab. Curiously, the biab application slider disappears from the mixer occasionaly. Even though biab is running there is no slider for it in the mixer. Seems to happen during and after I play back a song.

For testing, I have used some material that I recorded with powertracks on another pc as well as some of the biab demo files. I have also generated tracks to see how that works out, but in each case the volume output of biab is low. Realband is less of a problem than biab. I've been using the coyotewt as a sound source for now. I can boost that by 6db in its own context menu and that helps some.

I exported some material from biab to a wav file. The wav file seems to be about 5 times louder ( ie normal) but that is a very subjective opinion.

I am using an m-track interface. I have been trying to check the sound levels with just the laptop speakers, however I have hooked up some powered speakers to the m-audio device and gone out that way. I can get volume doing this but biab is still not outputting the volume of other software. I am playing around with the a couple of asio drivers to see how that plays out but it seems that may not be the source of the problem.

I guess I am thinking that the volume of the same material being output from different software sources should be at the same volume levels. Perhaps I'm wrong of assuming that this should be the case.

I'm am talking to pg support on this and getting some suggestions from them. While some of them can boost the volume out ( ie use peaklimit and boost things there) I don't think that I should have to be doing this. I can also insert a compressor to make things louder, but dont think I should have to do that either.

I'm sure this is probably something simple!! Ha.
Thanks for your replies!
Terry

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: nichollstj

I am using an m-track interface.
Terry

M-Audio Fast Track? Pro? Ultra?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
.............. While some of them can boost the volume out ( ie use peaklimit and boost things there) I don't think that I should have to be doing this. I can also insert a compressor to make things louder, but dont think I should have to do that either...............
This sorta answers what I was wondering, but for the record, when you open the mixer, under the plugins tab, it shows "none" all the way across, right? (Four nones walk into a bar.... smile ) And when you open the VST icon, there's no plugin other than the default synth itself, right?

FWIW. -Ron

Veteran
Veteran
Terry,

I have your tried returning the "Return to factory settings" under the "Opt" menu. Use the top option as that will not interfere with your sound set up. After you've used this setting, it's necessary to restart BIAB.

Also, if the top option doesn't work, try resetting again using the bottom option. BIAB 2013 will save your sound set-up for you so that you can easily get it back.

Lastly, is it possible for you to grab a screen shot of your Audio Setup (using Snipping Tool) and post it on here? The "File Manager" option that's available when creating a post can be used to insert images. I've highlighted that option on the image below.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
filemanager - image post.JPG (21.84 KB, 78 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I was writing another message and almost finished when it went off into the etherworld. Can't find it anywhere.
Matt I'm using an M-Audio M-Track interface.
You are correct Ron..there are no plugins at work except for the coyotewt.
Noel, your suggestion about resetting to factory has gotten me much closer to the source of the problem. When I did that BIAB was reset to using the mme driver. The volume levels significantly increased. I had been using an asio driver.
I currently have 3 asio drivers. One for the m-track, asio4all and the fender universal driver. It seems like all of them output at a reduced volume compared to mme. I will certainly have to investigate this a bit further.
This can explain why the same file played back in different applications can be so much different in volume levels.
I don't know a heck of a lot about asio other than it reduces latency, which is desirable. I also don't know if these drivers work well with windows 8 or if I should be looking for something else. Perhaps if I want to use asio I'll just have to crank things up (??)
Setting up a new pc with a new operating system and software can be such an adventure can't it?

Veteran
Veteran
Terry,

ASIO can often cause issues.

Essentially ASIO provides a shortcut route to the speakers. This is how latency is reduced. ASIO-based problems arise because not all ASIO drivers are the same. Also, for many applications (such as BIAB), ASIO takes control of a soundcard and doesn't let other applications use it. For example, if you're using a sound program that has ASIO installed as it's driver, then start BIAB, it's highly likely that you'll hear nothing from BIAB.

Is lack of latency essential for your use of BIAB? For example, if you're regularly recording audio in BIAB, then latency needs to be as low as possible. I rarely do this so I use the MME driver. The couple of times I've recorded audio in BIAB, I've switched to the ASIO4ALL driver. As soon as I've finished, I change back to MME.

In my DAW, on the other hand, where I do all my recording, ASIO is always set up. Again, I use ASIO4ALL. (My regularly used DAWs are Reaper and Realband.)

I suggest that unless you need to run on low latency, leave MME as your driver in BIAB.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
nicholistj--

*What speakers does your sound come out of?

Internal laptop speakers?

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Noel. I don't think I will be doing much audio recording in biab either and will follow what you are doing and switch to asio when i do that. I'll be using a portable keyboard in biab occasionally.

Mac..I had been trying to set up all of this using the laptop internal speakers which needless to say have something to be desired. I have since set up external speakers for when I am at home. Initially I wanted to be very portable for when I am travelling. Therefore I checked with the internal speakers first.

Understanding the fundamental problem sure goes a long way towards getting to a workable solution.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Mac..I had been trying to set up all of this using the laptop internal speakers which needless to say have something to be desired. I have since set up external speakers for when I am at home. Initially I wanted to be very portable for when I am travelling. Therefore I checked with the internal speakers first.

The Internal Speakers will not work with any external sound device such as that M-Audio. It requires its own set of amplified speakers.

If you have BB or RB set to output through anything other than the laptop's sound device or "soundcard" then your greatly reduced volume situation is likely due to that fact. What you are hearing may be simply "crosstalk" and not the desired signal at all.

And you found that out when the Return to Factory Settings invoked the MME or Windows Sound, which would use the default soundcard inside the laptop.

Lapotop speakers are terrible for music work. Not only not enough power, not able to move enough air, but they simply cannot cover the needed frequency range due to their small size.

Use of headphones might help a lot in that situation. Or a small set of powered speakers, plugged into the earphone jack.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Yes Mac. I've now incorporated both a set of external powered speakers and headphones as well.
There has been a lot of headway on this in the past 24 hours and I really want to thank you all so much for taking the time to get me on the road with this.
Terry

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,748
Posts736,947
Members38,563
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator
38,562 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186