Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
How do you deactivate or reactivate? Uninstall from one machine and install in another? Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have a desktop, and a laptop, and if I wanted to several other computers. But when i want to do recording or mixing I go in my studio not the bedroom, why not have a laptop in the bathroom so you can mix a tune or tow while you .... Never mind mental video i don't need or want.

Look you can have what ever you want around your house. But this activation key situation was not setup for you, me or any one person it was done to protect from people sharing the program with everyone they know. I and I alone own the copy I have not my wife, my 4 daughters, their husbands, and any grand kids.

I do get what your both saying, but we have to look at the bigger picture, it is not all about us. If you have a nice studio set it up and work there, seems to me three computers, and the ability to deactivate is a fair shake.

Anyway I hope you have a great time and make some awesome music with 2014

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #225200 12/02/13 09:45 PM
L
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
L
Robh, Thanks for the reply. My take on this does not effect the BIAB usage @ home so much as it does when I take the HD to jam with a couple friends. This has always been my primary reason for keeping up to date. That will most likely change my desire to update so often. that is lost $$$$$$$ for P.G.M. Just my 2 cents frown -------Leon

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Clayton,

I see you are relatively new to these forums. My advice is "Don't let the naysayers sway you." I've been dealing with PG Music since 2006 and I can honestly say that there isn't a better and more honorable company on the internet.

Here in Australia, I get looked after just as well as if I lived in Victoria BC. I have nothing but good things to say about PG Music. They're pretty spectacular.

Kind regards,
Noel

P.S. For what it's worth, Mac is a legend on here. There is absolutely no-one more helpful than he. Have a look at his post count! It's heading up to 40,000!!!! The next closest to that is rharv with just over 15,000! One of the problems with forums is that the 'tone' of conversation is missing and that means that it's not always easy to interpret what people really mean.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
#225247 12/03/13 03:21 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: littlewiga
Thanks Noel .. smile ( noted )

Hi Clayton,

I second what Noel said. There is some fantastic support to all users from a select few as mentioned: Mac, RHarv, Matt, and many more, but Noel should have included himself in the list also.

This is a Great Forum with fabulous support. And PG Music really have set a high standard of customer satisfaction, even though we might not all always agree with small but perhaps necessary changes to policy.

Go with the flow - you won't be disappointed !

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mac's post count (and helpfulness) is even more that what it appears. The 'new' forum software in 2000 reset all our post counts to zero, and we started over.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
raymb1 #225266 12/03/13 06:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: raymb1
How do you deactivate or reactivate? Uninstall from one machine and install in another? Later, Ray

No just go to help/utilities/activation options.Just deactivate that machine and it'll release another activation code at PG for you to use.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, John.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: silvertones

No just go to help/utilities/activation options.Just deactivate that machine and it'll release another activation code at PG for you to use.

And, we've already been told on this very forum somewhere that the deactivate/activate thing has no limit.

If I have to carry my USB drive to another machine and location, this is how I intend to do it. When I leave, I'll deactivate before pulling the plug, to keep that "extra" activation ready at all times.

Anyone complaining about that may really be complaining about ue of the program that is outside of the Licensing Agreement, installing on friend's machines, etc.

I cannot blame anyone for locking the henhouse in order to keep their chickens...

--Mac

Mac #225312 12/03/13 09:49 AM
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
In the Utilities box, there is a pop-up help box that says you can activate/deactivate a machine up to 9 times. So there is a limit.

Expert
Expert
Ric4001

I note that message but.... Andrew of PGMusic himself said there was no limit to activate/deactivations.

I tend to believe Andrew myself. Things may have changed since that message was programmed.

Kevin smile

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Leon that is certainly understandable, that you want to jam with friends. I have done that to. Why not mix a few of you favorite songs down to Mp3 or wave files and play them that way. So many ways to handle this one.

No need to get mad and not purchase the product. If you forego Biab due to this you will have to use other software and guess what mix it down to a wave or MP3 and haul it on a hard drive. Just sayin' maybe it is an extra step, but PG has to look to it's future and maybe what we don't know is that they have lost a considerable amount of revenue to people sharing the program with those same "buddies"

Don't get me wrong i am not saying you do this, nor have I. But i would be willing to bet many have given it to a friend for free, and sometimes just for convenience. You go to jam, and it is a great time, and so you do not have to haul the hard drive you download the program onto good ole'"jimmy's" laptop and it is setup for next Fridays jam session. You can almost bet this goes on all the time.

I downloaded a program the other day that links to the internet, and finds chord and lyric sheet, and allows you to link them to a MP3 file and jam to it. Great for hauling around.

Maybe in time PG could look into a way that the only time you need a activation key is when you go to install off the hard drive, but once the hard drive is running stand alone it can be powered by any laptop, or system. We will see what they do as they are monitoring these forums.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Ric4001 #225322 12/03/13 10:55 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ric4001
In the Utilities box, there is a pop-up help box that says you can activate/deactivate a machine up to 9 times. So there is a limit.

That's irritating, indeed - John, aka silvertones, related that Andrew confirmed there would be no limit. It would be good to get some official statement by PG Music officials.

Personally I don't find such a limit reasonable at all, considering the otherwise potential selling point of being able to run BiaB via the external Hard drive.

Martin
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
MartinB I was just typing about that. Does the program need activation is it is ran strictly from the HD?

PG team how does that work?

Good compromise.

Oh and is not Andrew's word an official statement?

Clayton why would they tell you about an upcoming release before the news hits the forum? that could spoil the surprise for everyone.

Last edited by Robh; 12/03/13 10:59 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Even strictly running BiaB from the HD requires some CPU. Hardware based registrations usually are strictly tied to just that -> PC hardware, MAC addresses and whatnot.

Martin
MartinB #225337 12/03/13 11:48 AM
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: MartinB
Even strictly running BiaB from the HD requires some CPU. Hardware based registrations usually are strictly tied to just that -> PC hardware, MAC addresses and whatnot.

True, but as I posted earlier in this thread, some vendors (Plugin Alliance being one) tie the registrations (they allow 3 of them) to a computer, or an external hard drive, or a flash drive. So the technology exists to tie one of the registrations to an external hard drive.

#225389 12/03/13 02:41 PM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Cause hey it's all about you after all!

Let see if I understand you...

You have a company with a history of keeping new releases quiet, even those chosen to beta test are under strictest order to keep the new release under wraps, along comes Clayton, and all of a sudden they are going to break protocol and let the cat out of the bag for you alone.

Cause hey after all no one else but you are paying for this product. They made you wait a whole three days!!! How did you make it through that tragedy!?! The horror!

And to think they were going to quietly Ship you the 2014 version, well that takes the cake. If it were me I would burn up the phone call your congressman, senator, priest. Mom, anyone who can help you chastise these slackers for their transgressions!!

Okay I am glad he signed off cause I would not want to be the cause of more grief. (tongue firmly in cheek) Regards, Rob

Last edited by Robh; 12/03/13 02:52 PM.

Rob Helms #225391 12/03/13 02:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Good riddance!!

Veteran
Veteran
OK, we've officially passed the point of "civility" here. eek

I wonder if there's demand for a web-based front end to BiaB. I think there's an iOS version, but how about a full AJAX enabled full-screen web-browser version?

Since the server is already built, it's "just" a matter of writing the client, right?

That way, you could run it from virtually any device you've got... Even a Chromebook. And I could go over to other people's houses to show off BiaB instead of having to bring them to mine. (Much less cleaning up the house for me). cool

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
<slow clap for David as he steps up and takes responsibility for writing the code to realize that awesome idea!>

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,720
Posts736,476
Members38,555
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM
38,554 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187