Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
We're talking jazz here! smile

How do you tell BIAB to play a chord on say, the '2 &' beat?

The 'off beat'?

TIA

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Start with Alt F5

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (42.96 KB, 146 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Start with Alt F5

Thanks JM.
Looks good on paper but....
I just tried it.
My chords /Bb13 ^Ab13 G13 /

Here's what happened.
It played a jazz eighth rhythm for the first two chords and then left out G13 on beat three, and put it on beat four.

So there was no push on the 2& beat BUT there was a delay in the G13 chord which is supposed to come right on beat three.

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Noel - Help! grin Is this what it did? Cause I think this is what you asked it to do.

Otherwise, you may have come upon an often cited shortcoming of where you cannot push a chord onto a beat of the prior chord. Meaning you can't put a chord on the 2+ and the 3. Does that make sense? there may be workarounds with spreading out two bars to be played as one and doubling the tempo. But I am getting a little over my head...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (9.81 KB, 138 downloads)
Capture1.JPG (17.67 KB, 126 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Dan,

Good to see you smile

You've interpreted the chords perfectly if they were entered as Bb13 ^Ab13,G13.

Maybe BIABguy was after a chord on beat 2& as well as beat 3. If so, then it's necessary to think laterally. It can be done but it's not so straightforward.

Let's see if he gives a little more information after reading your reply and then we can address his situation. It would be good if he outlines the progression for the whole bar and where he'd like chords to occur.

Best wishes,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey Dan,

Good to see you smile

You've interpreted the chords perfectly if they were entered as Bb13 ^Ab13,G13.

Maybe BIABguy was after a chord on beat 2& as well as beat 3. If so, then it's necessary to think laterally. It can be done but it's not so straightforward.

Let's see if he gives a little more information after reading your reply and then we can address his situation. It would be good if he outlines the progression for the whole bar and where he'd like chords to occur.

Sorry guys.

The problem was with the formatting on this forum.
I inputted a bar of chords on the correct beats, but when I posted here, the forum software had its own ideas as to how to format the bar! frown

I will describe the bar and try to input it once again.
Beat 'one' is Bb13.
Beat 'two &' is Ab13.
Beat 'three' is G13.
Nothing on beat 'four'.

\Bb13,Ab13 G13 ---\

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
There is one way to do this.

But my day has come to an end. Others will chime in. And I will be back tomorrow. Keep at it.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Hi BIABguy,

You could do this by using 2 bars that will effectively play in the same time as the single bar.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, save the song with a new file name. This will allow you easily to return to the present song if you need to.

Read on ...

1. Insert a bar after the present bar. Click on the inserted bar. Now press f5 and set the number of beats of this inserted bar to "2".

2. Click on the bar following the inserted bar and set the beats to 4.

(In effect, what's happened is that a 2/4 bar has been inserted and we've set BIAB to play 4/4 after the inserted bar.)

3. Type G13 on beat 1 of the inserted bar.

4. Now click on the bar before the inserted bar. Press f5 and change the tempo to twice the speed. (For example, if your song's tempo is 85, type 170 in the box highlighted below.)

5. On the chord sheet for this bar, type Bb13 on beat 1 and Ab 13 on beat 4. (That is type Bb13 on beat 1 and ,Ab13 on beat 3. The comma is important.)

6. Now click on the inserted 2/4 bar and set the tempo back to the song's original speed.

7. Generate the song and play.

What have we done?

In a nutshell, we've created a 4/4 bar that plays twice as quickly as the rest of the song. This means, it will play in the same amount of time that half a bar will play at the song's normal speed. Since it's a 4/4 bar, though, I can put 4 chords into it. When I couple this twice-as-fast 4/4 bar with the following 2/4 bar at normal speed, I end up with the combined effect of a single bar.

Try it and see if it works ok for you. You might want to experiment with Shots and Holds to make it even more effective.

Please let Dan and I know how it worked out for you. We're interested!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Try it and see if it works ok for you. You might want to experiment with Shots and Holds to make it even more effective.

Please let Dan and I know how it worked out for you. We're interested!

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel, that was a really valiant attempt!
I understand the concept.
However in practice things aren't working out as planned.

Here's what's happening:

The first bar plays, first chord on beat one, fine.

The bar starts playing faster (as we programmed it and you can hear it). Why can you hear it?
Because the organ's bass is starting to WALK!!!!!

And the first chord is playing an inversion on the 2nd beat!!!

And the chord on beat four is playing way late!

Then when the second bar plays, the walking bass stops and things slow down noticeably.

This is not a smooth transition! It sounds like the tempo is doubling for one bar and then coming back to the original
tempo (on top of the other problems).

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Notes Norton may have styles that can do what you want. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks Noel, that was a really valiant attempt!
I understand the concept.
However in practice things aren't working out as planned.

Here's what's happening:

The bar starts playing faster (as we programmed it and you can hear it). Why can you hear it?

Then when the second bar plays, the walking bass stops and things slow down noticeably.

This is not a smooth transition! It sounds like the tempo is doubling for one bar and then coming back to the original

The success of the above really does depend on style. The principle is a sound one but, in practice, there are limitations. This would be especially true if the initial tempo is one of the faster ones.

I'm curious. In the doubled time bar, did you try Bb13... and ,Ab13... or maybe Bb13.. and ,Ab13..

Might be worth a try.

Sorry it didn't solve the problem.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Would expanded bars work for this?

I think that is what they are called when two bars in BiaB equal one bar of actual music. I am not at my music computer right now to check the name. I have never used them so I don’t know for sure.

I just posted a selfie and all of the responses were get well soon!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: BIABguy

Check the bar number area of the Chord Sheet, you could have inadvertently entered a B Substyle Part Marker there, which in many jazz styles would invoke the Walking Bass.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Would expanded bars work for this?

I think that is what they are called when two bars in BiaB equal one bar of actual music. I am not at my music computer right now to check the name. I have never used them so I don’t know for sure.

Yes, that is where we were going (I think), but I am not sure Noel got the instruction right (with all due respect and Good Bless his heart) smile. The four beat 1 bar at 2x tempo followed by the two beat bar at normal tempo may not be the best way. Should we not have combined two full 4 beat bars at 2x tempo to allow us to place chords on the eight note? And the "holds" he has suggested seem a good idea to try.

I know there has been lots of talk about this in the past. And this has been a very long term wish list item. So is this workaround only academic or does this work. Remember we are talking RTs here so the styles should not be controlling.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: BIABguy

Here's what's happening:

The total here points to a B Substyle being played there, that's the first thing to check, a Green Part Marker.

Also, if this is the same songfile where he's trying to play B Walking Bass with A organ substyle at same time, there could be many things that won't match up when trying that.

I don't usually chord comp the same way when the Bass is walking than when its not. With Walking Bass, you can and should get a bit busier and take more liberties, likely embellishing more. That is the whole point of it, actually.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Had to give it a try. I think it works great!

Upon further listening and having integrated this into several places in the song along with multiple regenerations, I do tend to hear the band try to get busier to accompany the faster tempo (presumably). I think I fixed this by placing a "hold" on the FMaj7... and the E7(#5)... Seems to eliminate the embellishments. Over all I think it was a success! grin

Capture6.JPG (84.27 KB, 53 downloads)

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Had to give it a try. I think it works great!

Upon further listening and having integrated this into several places in the song along with multiple regenerations, I do tend to hear the band try to get busier to accompany the faster tempo (presumably). I think I fixed this by placing a "hold" on the FMaj7... and the E7(#5)... Seems to eliminate the embellishments. Over all I think it was a success! grin

Thanks for taking the time to help Dan!
I just tried your suggestion and it gave similar results to Noel's suggestion.
-I hear speeding up because of the organ's walking bass that kicks in.
-The first chord is played twice (beats one and two)
-The chord in the second bar first beat is NOT played now!
In fact no chord is played in the second bar.

I haven't tried to insert holds yet.

BIABguy
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Bb13.. and ,Ab13..
This has been the closest yet (together with the 2 beats per bar and doubling the tempo).

The walking bass is eliminated with it.
The timing is kind of right.
BUT... the two chords are cut off. They are played as 16th or even 32nds!

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
I am afraid it is dependent on the tempo and the actual RT's being used. My very slow Jazz Ballad with Piano and Strings seemed to work pretty good. It definitely allowed placement on the OFF BEAT, which is where we started with this thread, and obviously not easy in BIAB. I'll listen some more to see if my changes makes the final cut.

Good exercise through.

<<BUT... the two chords are cut off. They are played as 16th or even 32nds!>>

You did use a Hold (...) and Not a Shot (..), right?

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B

<<BUT... the two chords are cut off. They are played as 16th or even 32nds!>>

You did use a Hold (...) and Not a Shot (..), right?

Yeah I tried both.
I can't remember the results with (...), but (..) turned out better, except for the shots. smile

BIABguy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,759
Posts737,092
Members38,572
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
alnicorconsulting, BrianArmstrongAUS, Cheuan, trombonedad, Vincent Kirk
38,572 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183